Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Any good metroidvania recommendations?

Modron

Arcane
Oh I do agree the nu Jedi series were designed from the ground up to be 3D Vanias with Dark Souls combat. My contention was that calling them Vanias would lead to a category with far less cut and dry boundaries because there are more mario inspired 3D platformers which also have stuff gated by new abilities.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Oh I do agree the nu Jedi series were designed from the ground up to be 3D Vanias with Dark Souls combat. My contention was that calling them Vanias would lead to a category with far less cut and dry boundaries because there are more mario inspired 3D platformers which also have stuff gated by new abilities.
At the very least 3D 'vanias are a sister genre to the classic 2D ones. It'd be hard to argue the Metroid Prime games in particular aren't like the 2D originals in what they're going for(oh how i wish they'd get ported to PC and to play them with KB/M)

Machocruz

Arcane
I don't think 2D is absolute, but it shouldn't be casually disregarded either. I've seen this elsewhere and then the next step is that the world doesn't have to be labyrinthine, and then no backtracking, and then now powers, and then....

Nowadays people groups things according to general, fuzzy criteria (e.g. saying any old game is like a RPG if it has "upgrades" when the kind of upgrades RPGs traditionally have are quite specific). Metroid was doing specific things that made it what it is, and then SotN added some things to that that were specific which lead to "metroidvania". So the more of those same specific things that a game does, the more it qualifies to be considered one of those, imo.

Retardo

Learned
Bought Nine Sols on a whim and played for about 110 minutes.

Artstyle is p good, mudic is kinda unique cool if u like weird vaguely asian sound - the closest I can come up with is ruiner ost, but way more asian.
Combat and platforming are way more forgiving than expected - I'm bad at parrying mechanics, and had to resort to cheats when playing sekiro, but here its actually ok: movements are generally readable, parry window is ok, and havent seen evil moveset shit like in lies of pp so far.

Translation is better than average.

Only two negatives so far:
- dialogues are mostly not fully voiced, and they just make weird sounds/say 1-2 words in Chinese
- while in general the whole cat-people thing is much less degenerate than expected, there's something inherently cringey in hippy cat-dude in a bathrobe chilling on a levitating rock, or statues of a ripped cat wearing track pants.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom