Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Arkane is working on an immersive sim

What do you think they will do?

• New IP

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • Dishonored

Votes: 9 20.9%
  • Prey

Votes: 3 7.0%
  • Dark Messiah

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Arx Fatalis

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • kingcomrade

Votes: 13 30.2%
  • Redfall??

Votes: 7 16.3%

• Total voters

Tavar

Cipher
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
I enjoyed Prey despite all of its flaws. I'd be happy if Arcane delivered something similar on roughly the same quality level. However, given their recent track record, I'm not very optimistic.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
What is the point? All the people with the experience and the talent necessary already left.
Around 70% of team members who had worked on Arkane's (excellent) Prey had departed the studio by the time Redfall was ready for store shelves, and the company struggled to replace their expertise.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I wonder if they will have the courage to go against the norms and make the protagonist be an ugly strong independent black woman.
I'll probably get shit for this but whatever.

Redfall's characters area really ugly but it's not even just normal modern game ugly. It's offensively ugly in a way you can't stomach. The first quest giver in Redfall is a female priest who's covered in tattoos like she's from the bay area. She has an old man's face and hands to match. It's like they attempted to make the absolute ugliest thing possible and then stick it in a position where it will offend people. I'm not religious, but I still try to respect decent religious people and this feels like a direct attack on them and their principals. Not that the modern church isn't already pure heresy

dishonored-death-of-the-outsider.jpg

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
I think the main deal was that you play as basically anti-fascists, and the vampires are meant to be "the Man" (that's the vibe I got from the trailers and reviews I've seen - I haven't played the game), so naturally you, and the characters on your side, are going to look like anti-fascists - dyed hair, tattoos, questionable racial heritage, probably pedo beards and such as well, worn out busted bodies from drug use, etc. With that in mind, I don't think they set out to offend people, I think they just made the protagonists and their allies out to look like what they are (and did so successfully), and that happens to look hideous to you because you're not part of that subculture, and by virtue of not being batshit insane, those degenerates look disgusting to you.
Maybe it's because I only played an hour or so but I didn't get any anti-fascist vibes from the vampires. I could be wrong though. The strongest part of the game was open world in small town America with mechanics letting you clamber around and use the buildings as climbing blocks to get better sight lines.

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I didn't dislike Deathloop but I have very little faith in nuArkane to deliver anything worth playing after Redfall. Almost everyone of worth has left the company at this point. If they fucking dig up Arx Fatalis for a sequel without Raph at the company it's going to be absolutely soulless.

Patiently awaiting Raph + MCA's next game at WolfEye.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom