Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Can we talk about using the Codex as a retweet machine

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I use the Codex for two things: autistic shitposting about games and getting impressions about games from people whose opinion I actually value. You all might be mentally insane racist assholes I wouldn't even deign to drink coffee with IRL, but I still tend to agree with your opinions of new games, particularly RPGs, a lot more than any of my popamole friends. As such, especially when it comes to upcoming, fringe tactical games or RPGs, I frequently browse their main threads for opinions from fellow 'dexers who care about the game.

The truth is: you guys have actual, tangible value in terms of leading me to spend my time and money on stuff I will actually enjoy rather than wasting it on shit or maybe not even discovering some hidden fringe tactical game I'm really going to like.

Now, I never understood why y'all hated our resident megasperg newsbot Infinitron so much, but I think I might be starting to get it. Because lately, when I visit aforementioned threads, to find any actual Codexer's view on the game in question I have to wade through post upon post of tweets presenting me with the earthshattering, all-important information that the developers have added a new potion-drinking animation for an NPC. Literally fucking useless crap that the developers only post to their twitter for the purposes of maintaing social media marketing, which requires updates and reactions so their page doesn't lose active showings in people's news feeds.

Primarily it seems to be Abu Antar (who otherwise seems like a gud poster/contributor who actually plays RPGs) and cyborgboy95 posting these things, but I've seen others post these useless things too. If y'all detest the 'tron for the reposting he does, how are you not rebelling over these blank posts showing up in every game thread?

This shit is literally a post about the developers adding a bloody fire animation to their game:

dytStwa.jpg

Who gives a fuck?

Now you might say these fringe game threads are fucking dead already and you'd be right. This is like the smallest problem in the history of problems and almost nothing will be lost if it continues. But fuck it - there's no reason it exists and thus I spent two minutes on addressing why the fuck it is even a thing. Because I cannot understand who the fuck cares enough that they want to be informed about these insignificant updates - and indeed if they do, why they can't just fuck off to the developers twitter account.

tl;dr: reposting insignificant twitter updates should be considered spam, because that is what it is.

Last edited:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I have been trying to post less twitter stuff, but you'll see me post some stuff, sometimes.

I never intended them to be spam, but I can see why some people would feel that way. Sometimes, it's the only communication you get from devs.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I have been trying to post less twitter stuff, but you'll see me post some stuff, sometimes.

I never intended them to be spam, but I can see why some people would feel that way. Sometimes, it's the only communication you get from devs.

I generally appreciate our newsposters, but when 1/3 of a thread is just twitter posts of the kind I posted in the OP, it's really just noise of big twitter-images to scroll through.

ELEXmakesMeHard

Learned
I recently made a post based on Piranha Bytes' ELEX combat trailer tweet. But I only did so in order to newscuck Infi, so my intentions were morally pure. :cool:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I treat Codex as my one stop shop for all things RPG

As do I, and that becomes mildly more annoying when so many posts are twitter images about nothing. I'm not opposed to reposting tweets with actual information in them, but a burn animation? Who gives a shit.

And that's what a lot of these tweets are: they have the sole purposes of making sure the activity on the social media marketing account is kept high, so Twitter doesn't deprioritize the devs' marketing.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

I generally appreciate our newsposters, but when 1/3 of a thread is just twitter posts of the kind I posted in the OP, it's really just noise of big twitter-images to scroll through.
Yeah, I get it. It might help if I just post the screen, and copy the text.

The intention is to simply share updates. I do agree that some of them might be useless, but sometimes, I just like to share stuff that looks cool.

But as I said, I have been toning it down, and I intend to keep it that way.

I don't really care about simple animations or the like, but I do care for screens, and longer animations, like killing blows and stuff like that.

whocares

Savant
I will not eat the bugs. I will not live in a pod. I will not use 2FA.

Last edited:

Malamert

Arcane
Edgy
Twitter nonsense is rubbish indeed, but what's worse is the reddit filth. Block that cancerous trite and ban the "people" that post it.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I tend to agree: copy the text, and paste any images separately if you must. If it isn't worth the effort, the post probably isn't worth making.

It will also make the post take up less space, and therefore be easier to scroll past.

make sure you also host it on some turd of a website that will go down in less than a few days so everyone checking the page later on can be confused on what the fuck you were talking about

or in the case of codex playground, everyone can be really sad instead

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Daily reminder that Grunker is a Dragon Age: Origins apologist and his opinion counts for NOTHING

What a coincidence. I stumpled upon your Death Trap Dungeon review just now and rather enjoyed it.

More like bellyflopped upon my review, FATTY

Ed is fat.

Was it Hong's hurtful words that made you project? Shh, my dear boy. I am here for you. And I will never hurt you :love:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom