Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon's Dogma II - "They’re masterworks, all – you can’t go wrong"

d1r

Single handedly funding SMTVI
Patron
1715277500923399.png

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
DD2 in it's current early form is STILL better than alot of those nominees. Stop being pussies and fight the good fight!

You gonna sit there and tell me Dragon Age is better? Witcher 123 is better? Get off your ass.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
Alright bros, thanks to me we're in. From this point onward I need you to cooridinate with me to make sure we get this beast in the higher ranks. We got this shit, just don't be pussies. I worked hard for this shit.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
Update, star date 2024 AD, 9th of May. I managed to get DD2 nominated myself (thanks for nothin, worthless cocksuckers). We're heading into the finals now. We're fightin with the big dogs now. I ask that not one of you be cowards and follow my fuckin lead. I'm tired of seein you bitch boys and negros spray 'skeeter repellant on your feet. It's time to show Codex what we are.
pvmCO4.gif

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Here's some cool hidden design details regarding monsters, if don't mind spoiling yourself:
  • Ogres will try to pick up rocks and barrels to use them against you
  • Ogres get stomach aches when attempting to eat Male characters/pawns
  • Goblins are the easiest enemies to bait into attacking eachother, specially if you throw one against the other
  • if there's Skeletons near a Skeleton Lord, he migth attempt and attack where he'll drain them of their essence and use it to unleash a shock wave - if the skellies are killed before he fully absorbs them, he will be left staggered
  • only the Goat's head of a Gore Chimera is actually alive, the other two are reanimated with necromancy
  • speaking of necromancy, Liches can indefinitely revive any monsters nearby
  • if you topple a golem in such a way as to make fall to the ground head first, the head will be severed - and if the token is still intact, the head will still fire its beams
  • still the subject of toppling monsters, the grab and pull mechanic is quite reactive, you can even disarm a cyclops of his club
  • if you drop some meat on the ground, wolves, wargs and garms will stop attacking you to feast on the meat - if you have Rotten Fish in your inventory, wolves will avoid you and garms and wargs will not perform their grab attacks
  • there's a "mirror" shield you can use to turn Medusa's petrifiying gaze against her
  • Medusa can be "fought" with stealth, as if there's no light in the cave, she'll have to rely on her "floodlight" vision to spot you
  • still on the subject of Medusa, if you somehow managed to put her to sleep, you can decapitate her in 1 hit
  • Silentium works against any monsters that rely on sound - you can prevent any spell casting with it, going back to the gore chimera as an example, you can literally prevent the Goat from ressurecting the other 2 heads, thereby making the fight a whole lot easier
  • TRIVIA - Cyclop's skulls are shaped in a similiar manner to elephant skulls, this is based on real old lore where people in the past mistook elephant skulls for cyclops' skulls

Last edited:

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
Here's some cool design details regarding monsters:
  • Ogres will try to pick up rocks and barrels to use them against you
  • Ogres get stomach aches when attempting to eat Male characters/pawns
  • Goblins are the easiest enemies to bait into attacking eachother, specially if you throw one against the other
  • if there's Skeletons near a Skeleton Lord, he migth attempt and attack where he'll drain them of their essence and use it to unleash a shock wave - if the skellies are killed before he fully absorbs them, he will be left staggered
  • only the Goat's head of a Gore Chimera is actually alive, the other two are reanimated with necromancy
  • speaking of necromancy, Liches can indefinitely revive any monsters nearby
  • if you topple a golem in such a way as to make fall to the ground head first, the head will be severed - and if the token is still intact, the head will still fire its beams
  • still the subject of toppling monsters, the grab and pull mechanic is quite reactive, you can even disarm a cyclops of his club
  • if you drop some meat on the ground, wolves, wargs and garms will stop attacking you to feast on the meat - if you have Rotten Fish in your inventory, wolves will avoid you and garms and wargs will not perform their grab attacks
  • there's a "mirror" shield you can use to turn Medusa's petrifiying gaze against her
  • Medusa can be "fought" with stealth, as if there's no light in the cave, she'll have to rely on her "floodlight" vision to spot you
  • still on the subject of Medusa, if you somehow managed to put her to sleep, you can decapitate her in 1 hit
  • Silentium works against any monsters that rely on sound - you can prevent any spell casting with it, going back to the gore chimera as an example, you can literally prevent the Goat from ressurecting the other 2 heads, thereby having deal only with the Goat
  • TRIVIA - the Cyclops' skull are similiar to elephant skulls, this is based on old lore where people in the past mistook elephant skulls for cyclops' skulls
Hey DJO, maybe stop being a worthless pussy faggot and help my crusade to get DD2 into the upper echelons of the Codex. You contribute jackshit. Not a single one of ya do even after sucking the game's ass. Either defend it or get the fuck out of my thread.

Suicidal

Arcane
Sorry Nigger-Man, but I just don't care about any game popularity contests or convincing other people that "my game is totally better than your game". I prefer to spend that time and energy playing games I enjoy.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
I am calm. And we're charging head first into this election kamikaze style. Fuck the election, you shall make the ultimate sacrifice and bomb yourselves as I sit back and draw up strategies. Stop being cowards. There are no pussies in my unit. Now get ready for Operation Must Die For DD2

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
I don't really know how reliable this is as a source, but it popped up on my newsfeed today so I thought I'd paste it on here.

Capcom Now Considers Dragon's Dogma a 'Key Brand' Following Substantial Sales

"So far, Dragon's Dogma 2 has been Capcom's fantasy RPG blockbuster, selling 2.6 million copies since its release on the 22nd March."

That's considered gangbusters sales by Capcom, whereas MS or EA would have almost certainly responded with immediate mass layoffs.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
I don't really know how reliable this is as a source, but it popped up on my newsfeed today so I thought I'd paste it on here.
Yeah, I saw a similiar article yesterday on Eurogamer.pt (didn't want to translate though :P)
Seems legit
I guess this means that, even if DD2 doesn't get an expansion, we won't have to wait until the next Year of the Dragon for DD3

That's considered gangbusters sales by Capcom
It made that number of sales in 1 week, which they didn't seem to be expecting
DD2 in general seems to have been a somewhat tepid investment from Capcom's execs, only given in because of acceptable lifetime sales and Itsuno's persistent insistence on the IP

Honestly it's kinda pathetic realising that Capcom's management doesn't know the market they operate in
I mean, AAA single-player RPGs have been one of the most popular and profitable game genres since Oblivion at least - shooters being the only other genre that matches/surpass that success, although shooters don't enjoy the same prestige (only shooters that receive high critical aclaim and awards are those that combine a heavy focus on storytelling, games like TLoU2 or Halo)
And with the exception of Nintentdo, every famous publisher or game studio today is where they are thanks to a shooter or a RPG

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm assuming the DLC will be released before Monster Hunter Wilds. Product cannibalization and all that.
I always find it interesting that people see a link between MH and DD, especially now that I've played several MH titles. The experiences are significantly different, they're not even the same genre, and MH sucks in comparison.

Shinji

Savant
I'm assuming the DLC will be released before Monster Hunter Wilds. Product cannibalization and all that.
I always find it interesting that people see a link between MH and DD, especially now that I've played several MH titles. The experiences are significantly different, they're not even the same genre, and MH sucks in comparison.
On the surface they look similar for the unaware (third-person combat involving monsters) but they are entirely different, I agree.
Which is one reason I disagree entirely with people that demand online coop for Dragon's Dogma. It would completely ruin what makes DD unique with its pawn-sharing feature.

I do believe Monster Hunter would eat DD's sales if launched too close together, however.
I was suprised when I saw the low sales number for DD2 in Japan during its launch week. I thought the Online game was popular there and it would help boost sales.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
On the surface they look similar for the unaware (third-person combat involving monsters) but they are entirely different, I agree.
Which is one reason I disagree entirely with people that demand online coop for Dragon's Dogma. It would completely ruin what makes DD unique with its pawn-sharing feature.

I do believe Monster Hunter would eat DD's sales if launched too close together, however.
I was suprised when I saw the low sales number for DD2 in Japan during its launch week. I thought the Online game was popular there and it would help boost sales.

I think DD was more popular in the West than Japan (source: my ass) which makes it even weirder that they made DDO Japan only. Of course, they launch there first and if it basically tanked, it makes sense they wouldn't invest further.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom