Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Grim Dawn

Lots of options. Soldier + Occultist (Possession and Blood of Dreeg), Soldier + Arcanist (Mirror of Ereoctes, Maiven's Sphere), Soldier + Necromancer (Spectral Binding, Mark of Torment), Soldier + Shaman (Wendigo Totem, Mogdrogen's Pact, Primal Bond), Soldier + Demolitionist (Vindictive Flame, Blast Shield). All options let you weave in different damage types as well. With an Occultist you could try to go for melee chaos or acid damage, Elemental or Aether dam with the Arcanist, Cold / Vit with Necro, Lightning with Shaman, Fire with Demolitionist. Pick whatever theme you like the most. I couldn't say what is overall the best choice but anything with X% Damage Absorption will help make you a lot tankier.

To be clear, I was looking for a character purely focused on physical damage (though I'd count piercing damage as well) and not spamming spells (though I'd use buffs). Is relying just on soldier for damage good enough?

Basically the playstyle I'm going for is a barbarian. EDIT: Not diablo 2 barbarian just a stronk dude with big sword.

Last edited:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Lots of options. Soldier + Occultist (Possession and Blood of Dreeg), Soldier + Arcanist (Mirror of Ereoctes, Maiven's Sphere), Soldier + Necromancer (Spectral Binding, Mark of Torment), Soldier + Shaman (Wendigo Totem, Mogdrogen's Pact, Primal Bond), Soldier + Demolitionist (Vindictive Flame, Blast Shield). All options let you weave in different damage types as well. With an Occultist you could try to go for melee chaos or acid damage, Elemental or Aether dam with the Arcanist, Cold / Vit with Necro, Lightning with Shaman, Fire with Demolitionist. Pick whatever theme you like the most. I couldn't say what is overall the best choice but anything with X% Damage Absorption will help make you a lot tankier.

To be clear, I was looking for a character purely focused on physical damage (though I'd count piercing damage as well) and not spamming spells (though I'd use buffs). Is relying just on soldier for damage good enough?

Basically the playstyle I'm going for is a barbarian. EDIT: Not diablo 2 barbarian just a stronk dude with big sword.
I basically just ran with soldier alone.

Yeah I actually decided the same, pure soldier. Just hit level 50 and got to equip a nice legendary two handed axe that dropped off the warden. Really lucky find. Been using Olerun's Might component along with war cry and its been nerfing enemy damage enough that I can face tank most things no problem.

Didn't realize this before but GDStash lets you edit characters as well so I gave myself 30 devotion and max faction rep to help boost me to ultimate difficulty.

Question: do I need to raise spirit to wear all high level amulets/rings or are there ones that don't need that stat? Right now the best stuff I can equip is level 20.

Maybe I'm a retard, but its apparently taken me 200 hours to realize you can type "amulet" into your storage search to highlight which components can go in amulets and so on.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Maybe I'm a retard, but its apparently taken me 200 hours to realize you can type "amulet" into your storage search to highlight which components can go in amulets and so on.
You can also mouseover any amulet (or whatever) and it will highlight the components that can go into it.

You can also mouseover any amulet (or whatever) and it will highlight the components that can go into it.
That would be useful, but doesn't work. It's the other way around, need to pick a component and it highlights what it can go in.

EDIT: wait nvm, now it does work. Swear it didn't work a minute ago

Hobo Elf

Arcane

Doesn't matter. You can pick any of those combos and still go pure phys. The magical damage types are just an extra option. Many of them have utility spells and passives that are useful for all characters, but especially melee oriented characters.

Also you don't go pure one class unless you are doing a challenge run. Investing points into a second mastery isn't done solely for the skills it unlocks. The stats are also important.

Honestly pure soldier is absolutely killing it on Ultimate right now. I don't think I've died since chapter 1, where I had mostly negative/zero resists and hadn't hit level 50 to wear legendaries and get augments. Right now I can facetank most totems/bosses/shrines and am playing at 2x speed. In fact single bosses don't even dent my HP bar (due to -20% enemy damage from Oleron's Might and -30% from War Cry, along with mostly maxed resists). Of course I did die like 20 times in chapter 1 because lmao no defense.

I'll probably run out of places to throw skill points at in soldier eventually though. Also needing to dump points in spirit to wear jewelry is kinda lame. But I've got a nice ring with +80 spirit so maybe I can just invest a little and pull myself up by my own bootstraps there.

For Devotions I've gone for Oleron, Assassin, Bat, Tortoise, Bard's Harp, Azrakaa abilities along with Hydra

Hmm, weird-ass bug with GDStash I encountered.

So I'm using GDStash to cheat my faction rep to max if I need it. I did it once (for malmouth resistance items), then progressed a bit, then hit the reload button in GDStash and did it again for Barrowhelm after finishing Malmouth in order to go for 100% quest completion. Problem is, GDStash seems to not have completely reloaded the character. It reset my character to level 83 and world progress/state to the first time I loaded it, but my quest progress was kept (I was level 86 with Malmouth finished).

So now I'm in a broken state where I can't actually finish the game again because I don't have the quest to finish up Malmouth. This was also after spending like 30 mins fucking around optimizing stats and items after hitting 85 and sorting through all the level 85 items I had. So I guess I'll abort this game. Malmouth was really easy after I got to ~3.8k armor and I doubt Forgotten Gods would be any different.

So I guess word of warning if you are using GDStash, exit and restart it, reload character button is broken.

ferratilis

Magister
Two handed weapons are getting some love in the next update.

https://forums.crateentertainment.com/t/grim-misadventure-181-tip-of-the-spear/136529

Grim Misadventure #181 - Tip of the Spear

ZantaiCrate Employee - Designer

3h

A Grim Misadventure has risen, as was foretold in the last Grim Misadventure. Last time 33, we unveiled some of the vast arsenal that awaits you in the Fangs of Asterkarn expansion. These formidable new weapons will surely lead you to victory against the encroaching corruption.
Today’s reveal has grander ramifications…
Anyone that has wielded a two-handed weapon in Grim Dawn knows that…it leaves something to be desired. Back in the before times, when the Earth was young and primordial forces were still shaping the reality we know today, we operated under some very different limitations. Much of this has changed over our 15-year history. Thanks to your continued support, we are now positioned to not only deliver future titles with a larger team than ever before, but to reflect upon our past work and make…improvements.
So…those two-handed weapons. As you know, swinging a big sword in Grim Dawn looks exactly the same as swinging a big mace, which looks the same as swinging a big axe…and let’s not even talk about the spears we had added over the years. Swinging a spear with one universal animation set is a recipe for sadness, but it was a reality we had to accept…until today!
We are in the process of a complete overhaul of our two-handed melee animations. You can look forward to distinct attack patterns for each weapon, and no weapon distinguishes itself more than a proper two-handed spear.
This is just a sample of what is coming:
Needless to say, Fangs of Asterkarn will feature an array of new spears for you to enjoy with these animations, but you do not need to purchase the next expansion. In fact, we are making this animation overhaul available to all versions of the game for free, coming soon with the v1.2.1 update, which is currently in public playtesting 124.
If this is not a buff to two-handed playstyles, we do not know what is!
Like knowing what is coming up next for Grim Dawn? Check back on 06/10/2024 for the next Grim Misadventure!

Kruyurk

Learned
I looked up swordstaff and found this historical drawing of a bastard stabbing another poor bastard in the dick. These were dark times.

Dolstein_1.gif

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Does Albrecht's Aether Ray work with procs from the Devotion tree? I assume it doesn't work with "on hit". but does it work with crit procs for example?

Maybe you guys know ArchAngel Sykar

Covenant

Savant
Does Albrecht's Aether Ray work with procs from the Devotion tree? I assume it doesn't work with "on hit". but does it work with crit procs for example?

Maybe you guys know ArchAngel Sykar

Pretty sure it does work with 'on hit', it's just that there's a cooldown for all of them.

RoBoBOBR

Arcane
Patron
And you don't even have to invest in the star to get that menu.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom