Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Improving Skyrim / Recommended Mods thread (Mostly about Requiem)

Yosharian

Arcane
So if i am looking for a single mod to make Skyrim somehow playable, is Requiem still the go to mod?
I am not looking at a bazillion mods/mod lists, just a simple one mod and maybe a couple of addons for it.
I would suggest a mod collection and not a mod list for ease of install and the testing of functionality and interoperability between mods. And the mod collection creators provide support

Try Vagabond which has over 4000 mods

https://github.com/Oghma-Infinium/Vagabond
900GB!

This insanity has to stop!

Yosharian

Arcane
Nolvus is also really lame from what I'm seeing

Each to their own I suppose

Hasn't the Nolvus list been involved in some controversy recently? It got removed from WJ I think

mastroego

Arcane
There is really no need for such massive lists.

For instance, Skyrim was always fine enough in the art direction department.
A few retouches are welcome (a few models were indeed ugly), but other than that, I fail to see the point.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Oh also I happened to try out this list called 'Lorerim', which is a huge modlist that has a 200GB download size and around 420GB install size. Insane.

What's even more insane is how utterly fucking shit this list is.

For starters the performance is dogshit, I was getting 35 FPS at the Riverwood standing stones area and I have a monster rig. Christ knows what its like elsewhere.

This kind of performance wouldn't be such a surprise if the list's visuals were good, but they aren't. The approach here is akin to 'shove everything you can find on the Nexus into the world space and hope it looks good'. It doesn't.

Areas are full of odd-looking structures that either don't make sense in the locations they are placed, or just look ugly as hell. Towns are barely recognisable anymore, which again wouldn't be an issue if they were improved, but they just lost all their character and the resulting visuals end up a mush of colours and shades with no definition anywhere.

Characters aren't better, having this weird uncanny valley effect and dead eyes, and their lip-sync looks horrible, much worse than default.

Combat is also this really weird combination of Requiem combined with a lot of action game mods like combat stances and it just doesn't work IMO, although this is more of a question of taste I guess. Enemy floating heath bars also doesn't suit Skyrim IMO. Walking past Aela's intro scene, I took a moment to deliver the finishing blow to the giant whereupon he fucking launched into the air like a cruise missile.

The list also has some technical issues, at least on my rig, whenever I zoomed out from 1st to 3rd person, I could briefly see my character's skeleton and eyeballs, which was freaky. Also, a new idle animation where the character stretches their arms, resulted in the 1st person view seeing inside the arm mesh.

Lastly and this is just the icing on the cake, I teleported into Whiterun and while marvelling at the truly awful aesthetics on display, this fucking insane-looking NPC comes barrelling towards me with the weirdest walk animation I have ever seen, flinging his arms from side to side and his legs looking like something out of a Monty Python sketch. I assume this was a broken animation... But it was just hilarious coming after all the other jank I'd just experienced.

Truly, Skyrim modding has achieved new levels of retardation.
Man you can't say shit like this and not drop a single screenshot.

Yosharian

Arcane
Oh also I happened to try out this list called 'Lorerim', which is a huge modlist that has a 200GB download size and around 420GB install size. Insane.

What's even more insane is how utterly fucking shit this list is.

For starters the performance is dogshit, I was getting 35 FPS at the Riverwood standing stones area and I have a monster rig. Christ knows what its like elsewhere.

This kind of performance wouldn't be such a surprise if the list's visuals were good, but they aren't. The approach here is akin to 'shove everything you can find on the Nexus into the world space and hope it looks good'. It doesn't.

Areas are full of odd-looking structures that either don't make sense in the locations they are placed, or just look ugly as hell. Towns are barely recognisable anymore, which again wouldn't be an issue if they were improved, but they just lost all their character and the resulting visuals end up a mush of colours and shades with no definition anywhere.

Characters aren't better, having this weird uncanny valley effect and dead eyes, and their lip-sync looks horrible, much worse than default.

Combat is also this really weird combination of Requiem combined with a lot of action game mods like combat stances and it just doesn't work IMO, although this is more of a question of taste I guess. Enemy floating heath bars also doesn't suit Skyrim IMO. Walking past Aela's intro scene, I took a moment to deliver the finishing blow to the giant whereupon he fucking launched into the air like a cruise missile.

The list also has some technical issues, at least on my rig, whenever I zoomed out from 1st to 3rd person, I could briefly see my character's skeleton and eyeballs, which was freaky. Also, a new idle animation where the character stretches their arms, resulted in the 1st person view seeing inside the arm mesh.

Lastly and this is just the icing on the cake, I teleported into Whiterun and while marvelling at the truly awful aesthetics on display, this fucking insane-looking NPC comes barrelling towards me with the weirdest walk animation I have ever seen, flinging his arms from side to side and his legs looking like something out of a Monty Python sketch. I assume this was a broken animation... But it was just hilarious coming after all the other jank I'd just experienced.

Truly, Skyrim modding has achieved new levels of retardation.
Man you can't say shit like this and not drop a single screenshot.
Yeah I should have recorded the whole thing, I was just so disgusted I deleted it instantly

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom