Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN Neverwinter Nights (NWN & NWN2) Modules Thread

notpl

Arbiter
My main problem with it is that "melee mage" is already what a Cleric is, and they can't really be beat at it.

d1nolore

Savant
I’d say easiest
Paladin
Cleric
Druid

Hardest
Rogue
Monk
Bard

Coolest
Barbarian/Rogue
Sorcerer/Rogue
Paladin/Rogue

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
The problem with Harper Scout is that it takes up a class slot. Its effects aren't bad, just a bit weak for taking up a slot. Maybe something like a melee Bard/RDD/Harper Scout can be good because you can get both Curse Song and a favored enemy out of the whole thing, but I feel like there are better options and it's more for the LARP. Shifter's problem is that the forms are weaker than your character normally is and it's a nightmare to level even in easy modules. The only place where Shifters shine is in very low-magic settings where the extra effects from forms can't be gotten anywhere else, but I don't know if such a module exists. The whole premise is contradictory - you want a low-magic setting yet the Shifter transforms into all kinds of magical beasts.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Fighter is easy to play, but doesn't have the toolbox the spellcasting martials have, so I'm not sure if it's going to be easy.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath

It did okay, but the fire giants outside of the city in Chapter 3 gave me a beat down.
IMHO that's one of the toughest fights in the series up to that point for any build I've ever tried. I actually never used Grease, that might be a tactic to try in a future playthrough.

Id say again, melee mage is definitely viable and not weak at low lvl it just may not be as straightforward as other builds. Many of the perceived drawbacks can be overcome with the right tactics but that's probably not that clear to players that are not that familiar with the play style.
I remember grease working surprisingly well. At a bare minimum, it bought me time to heal or focus fire on the enemy mage. At times, I thought I cheesed through the encounters with grease alone.

It would have worked even better in Chapter 1 if I had picked the panther familiar. That thing shreds.

Paladin/Rogue
I don’t think I have ever seen this combo. Could you explain this one?

Last edited:

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Started playing ch 1 as pure Wiz right now, the panther familiar definitely shreds.

Pal/rogue is just like any warrior/rogue build. I played one in the Ocs and expansions when I came back to NWN after not having played for many years. Typically will be strength based and taking rogue lvls as tumble/UMD dumps.

notpl

Arbiter
Was the bug/wrong implementation with Flurry of Blows ever corrected, or will a monk 1/fighter 19 still end up with +19/+19/+19/+14/+11/+6 attacks if he uses a monk weapon?

notpl

Arbiter
As an aside, I feel I should mention that the player's resource compendium works flawlessly with Swordflight (at least, the chapters I've played) and obviously expands your build options unbelievably. Even if you don't want to take advantage of some of the truly retarded munchkin nonsense the pack adds, filling the class roster out with some of the obvious hybrids like sacred fist or arcane trickster is nice.

d1nolore

Savant
I’d say easiest
Paladin
Cleric
Druid

Fighter is also ez

Hardest
Rogue
Monk
Bard

And Wizard. Monk not that hard... great saves and immunities, just like Pala but with weaker AB
It’s just the start with monk that is hard but it peaks well, so if you can handle the initial low AC &AB+damage with moderate HP then you will reap the rewards with high AC and great saves particularly vs spells

Fighters are ok just not as good as Paladin for SF

Wizard is either easy or hard(up until mid lvls then easy) depending on how good you are at playing a mage.

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
As an aside, I feel I should mention that the player's resource compendium works flawlessly with Swordflight (at least, the chapters I've played) and obviously expands your build options unbelievably. Even if you don't want to take advantage of some of the truly retarded munchkin nonsense the pack adds, filling the class roster out with some of the obvious hybrids like sacred fist or arcane trickster is nice.
I'd rather play with classes SF was designed around.

Oh btw, as for melee mage vs cleric, you're right except a mage would have access to cheesy damage shields and greater stoneskin/premonition. I've also never tried a melee mage that didn't spam true strike or use divine power or often use Tenser's at higher lvl. I suppose the advantage of having lower bab and only 2 attacks per round is that DP will give you all the other attacks at full base attack. You also get sunburst.

Another aside, Wizard is one of the best classes in NWN, it's just a bit of a rough start especially in SF.

d1nolore

Savant
a fun wizard build to try is Elf wizard/ranger/arcane archer

Elves get longsword and longbow, so you start by hiding behind your fully buffed familiar and summon shooting the longbow. You also have immunity to Sleep which is fun as a wizard.

d1nolore

Savant

It did okay, but the fire giants outside of the city in Chapter 3 gave me a beat down.
IMHO that's one of the toughest fights in the series up to that point for any build I've ever tried. I actually never used Grease, that might be a tactic to try in a future playthrough.

Id say again, melee mage is definitely viable and not weak at low lvl it just may not be as straightforward as other builds. Many of the perceived drawbacks can be overcome with the right tactics but that's probably not that clear to players that are not that familiar with the play style.
I remember grease working surprisingly well. At a bare minimum, it bought me time to heal or focus fire on the enemy mage. At times, I thought I cheesed through the encounters with grease alone.

It would have worked even better in Chapter 1 if I had picked the panther familiar. That thing shreds.

Paladin/Rogue
I don’t think I have ever seen this combo. Could you explain this one?
Paladin/Rogue just use a two handed weapon strength based. Take Rogue at lvl1 for the plethora of skills, so it’s fun being able to pick locks and disarm traps, plus all the talking skills for SF. So you are damage based aided by sneak attack, and you get evasion, and of course UMD and Tumble.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom