Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity + The White March Expansion Thread

Hagashager

Educated
I absolutely hate that mages have to carry multiple grimoire. Fuck this. It makes zero sense to be flipping through three books in combat and completely kills the Roleplay of being a wizard building up *his own* grinoire of knowledge.
Huh? Never got to dedfire, what was wrong with the original system of copying shit from other grimoires into your own?
You tell me. Accprding to Sawyer it was to balance wizard multi-classing but I don't think it works at all.

You start out with a worn grimoire that has the unique spell "Arcane Blast" (the same one from PoE 1. You can only cast Arcane Blast from the worn grimoire.

You'll later find other grimoires either as loot or rewards. Many of these grimoires have unique spells that can only be cast from that grimoire. An example would Ninagouth's Shadowflame (Blue fireball).

Additionally, when you level up you can pick an "ability" you know. Typically this'll be innate versions of spells that you just know without a grimoire.

So a strategy that many mage players do, a dogshit, meta-strat, is you *respec your wizard* everytime you find a new grimoire so that your innate spells complement the grimoire you're favoring.

Later on you're gonna want to have at lwast two grimoires on hand because there're very good spells between multiple books. It's exactly as cumbersome and obnoxious as it sounds.

PoE 2 managed to ruin my favorite class. Just spectacular game design Josh.

There is an easy solution. Use a single grimoire with spells you like (like Ninagauth's or Iron-Clasped) and learn the other spells relevant to you on level-ups. Voila, no need to switch grimoires, like ever.
You're welcome.

What you've been writing is describing the unique class advantage of the wizard class (ability to save level up ability points by using grimoires and potentially switch some spells on the fly via grimoire-swapping) and paint it as a problem.
You just described the meta-strategy that I consider very badly designed. Having to respec to be optimized is not good game design.

Sure, you can get by fine swapping Grimoires but the system is still cumbersome. It shouldn't take that to balance spell availability between multiclasses. It didn't work that way in the the first game and it was fine, too fine even given how aggressively balanced that game is.

It's obvious in reading retorts to my complaining though that this is an apples and oranges situation. I do not personally like the system, but evidently other people do and do not see it as flawed. We can argue under the table but we're clearly not going to reach consensus.

You do you beau

Vulpes

Scholar
I'm considering giving PoE 1 another chance. Are there any mods I can install to make it more enjoyable, like increasing the rate of party banter or making some of the classes less boring to play? And between Ranger, Cipher and Rogue, what's the best pick for the main character?

Hagashager

Educated
Cipher is the most narratively cohesive to your character, sort of.

Ciphers can read minds and use soul connections to control and incapacitate their enemies. It's very similar to a Watcher, which you are regardless of class. It's still muddy as hell and does a poor job differentiating, but a Cipher becoming a Watcher makes the most sense.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
So, out of curiosity, is there a portrait pack that's actually good?

This is another pet peeve i have about this game. Portraits are all over the place. They aren't terrible but the quality and style is inconsistent plus there's a few where it's REALLY obvious they are based on the dumb faces of backers which triggers me to no end. I checked google but the packs i found are too different in style from the game.

The selection of voices is also quite limited now that i think of it, especially for a game where you can make up your own party.

Modron

Arcane
Some guy posted some nice painted looking ones in this thread forever ago, want to say his name was jace something.

Falksi

Arcane
I'm considering giving PoE 1 another chance. Are there any mods I can install to make it more enjoyable, like increasing the rate of party banter or making some of the classes less boring to play? And between Ranger, Cipher and Rogue, what's the best pick for the main character?
Cipher is the best class to play as by far, to the point where it feels wrong playing the other classes.

No idea about the mods, but I recently retried it and the sluggish pace and repetitive combat just ground me down.

motherfucker

Educated

Ciphers can read minds and use soul connections to control and incapacitate their enemies. It's very similar to a Watcher, which you are regardless of class. It's still muddy as hell and does a poor job differentiating, but a Cipher becoming a Watcher makes the most sense.
IIRC Cipher is the canon Watcher for poe1

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

It helps that its also one of the most fun classes IMO.

NotSweeper

Educated
I'm trying to think of examples of PoE's storybook illustrated stuff, did any other games do something like that? Cause the closest shit that comes to mind is AoE 2 campaigns and Stronghold 2.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I'm trying to think of examples of PoE's storybook illustrated stuff, did any other games do something like that? Cause the closest shit that comes to mind is AoE 2 campaigns and Stronghold 2.
King of Dragon Pass is basically that as an entire game.

NotSweeper

Educated
King of Dragon Pass is basically that as an entire game.
ss_044c6ba4398ab240d593796dd68f034cf55083fb.600x338.jpg

It's funny how a single image can completely kill my interest in a game.

AshenNedra

Novice
I'm partial to to the vaporous wizardry's grimoire (gives you one more spell per level but every Graze/hit interrupts you) + Rekvu's fractured helmet (immunity to Interruption if wounded) .

Whack Aloth on the nose a few times and voilà ! He can never be interrupted again.

That's a great itemization: you can build whole builds around some combination of items.

I like all Storm/Electricity Tekehu as well with the armor/pistol/soulbound poleaxe. Quite potent. Less so in 5.0 though, thanks to Sawyer's dedication to balance.

Yes, I am replaying POE2 on POTD upscaled and posting on the codex after years of mostly lurking.

Am I 'between jobs' and bored out of my mind?

Very likely.

AshenNedra

Novice

It helps that its also one of the most fun classes IMO.
Indeed.

This one and Druid imho. See my post above for full druid build.

NotSweeper

Educated
Hang on. How do you see an option for duck genocide and decide you're not interested?
It's like, you see something you're disappointed with, but to such an extent that you decide that the thing in question isn't even worth genociding and you just walk away.
The ducks are like Belgians I guess.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom