Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rift / Vive / VR General

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Arktika.1 if you have a half decent PC.
Played a few minutes of this to test. During that initial drive with the chick into the compound, I felt like I was inside a video game instead of just playing one. I think my relationship with virtual reality gaming is going to be a long and beautiful one. I have to constantly fight the desire to grab onto sufaces for support that just aren't there in the meat world. There's a VR game called Eye of the Temple where you have to jump onto moving blocks to traverse. This one should be banned. Almost suffered my first injury in the real world with that one. Cool.

Doktor Best

Arcane

If you moved from 4k then there is nothing that will match it. If you are using Quest 2/3 then you can expect clarity wise something close to 900p res. With Pico4 it is much closer to 1080p and with beyond something like 1440p

If you have quest then the best advice is to drop the cable and use Wifi6 router and go wireless and get yourself elite strap with battery this will give you around 5 hours wireless which is plenty. Quest either way uses compression even with link cable and at 900p clarity you won't notice the difference. In fact you can use usb 2.0 with link cable and it will work jus the same.
What are you talking about? Quest 3 has better clarity than Pico4. Better lenses, higher resolution, better onboard chip so it can run higher bitrates. Cable link can give you 900mbit bitrate, which looks very decent on Quest3.

I didn't notice any shimmering when I played Half-Life 2 mod on Quest. I used link cable.
It's more of a noticeable anti-anti-aliasing effect; the jaggies, as it's affectionately been called over the years. Bumping up the internal resolution and maybe the in-game details helps but it's always there. It's something I will eventually get used to I'm sure. Anyone have a recommendation for a third-party head strap that's reasonably priced? A bit shocking that Meta shipped the Quest 3 with the one they did. I notice the uncomfortable pressure on my upper cheeks just below my eyes more than anything. Would prefer something where the fake chinese leather doesn't disintegrate within a few weeks.

Did you increase the bitrate on oculus debug tool? You can go beyond 500mbit bitrate, you just have to type in the number somewhere else then copy paste. Virtual Desktop is great for PCVR but you have to buy the Quest side app for 20 bucks. A good dedicated router helps with network latency (has to be connected to pc via cable)

On the standalone side i recommend Red Matter 2 to see what the onboard chip of Quest 3 can pull off. It looks almost as good as PCVR quality, pretty impressive. Quest Games Optimizer lets you run any Quest game on the resolution/foveated rendering/refresh rate of your choice. Imho a must have tool since most Quest games unfortunately are poorly optimized for the new hardware.

As games my recommendations are Pavlov for online fps (its Counterstrike in VR), Into the Radius (basically Stalker in VR), Madison VR if you want to shit your pants, Automobilista 2 if you want to see the best looking racing simulator, Half Life Alyx of course, Walkabout Minigolf, Eleven Table Tennis, Resident Evil 4 VR (use QGO for this), Asgards Wrath 2 (should still be included with your Quest 3 purchase), Moss 1+2, Saints and Sinners (decent zombie survival game, dont buy Retribution though)

Jack Of Owls

Arcane

If you moved from 4k then there is nothing that will match it. If you are using Quest 2/3 then you can expect clarity wise something close to 900p res. With Pico4 it is much closer to 1080p and with beyond something like 1440p

If you have quest then the best advice is to drop the cable and use Wifi6 router and go wireless and get yourself elite strap with battery this will give you around 5 hours wireless which is plenty. Quest either way uses compression even with link cable and at 900p clarity you won't notice the difference. In fact you can use usb 2.0 with link cable and it will work jus the same.
What are you talking about? Quest 3 has better clarity than Pico4. Better lenses, higher resolution, better onboard chip so it can run higher bitrates. Cable link can give you 900mbit bitrate, which looks very decent on Quest3.

I didn't notice any shimmering when I played Half-Life 2 mod on Quest. I used link cable.
It's more of a noticeable anti-anti-aliasing effect; the jaggies, as it's affectionately been called over the years. Bumping up the internal resolution and maybe the in-game details helps but it's always there. It's something I will eventually get used to I'm sure. Anyone have a recommendation for a third-party head strap that's reasonably priced? A bit shocking that Meta shipped the Quest 3 with the one they did. I notice the uncomfortable pressure on my upper cheeks just below my eyes more than anything. Would prefer something where the fake chinese leather doesn't disintegrate within a few weeks.

Did you increase the bitrate on oculus debug tool? You can go beyond 500mbit bitrate, you just have to type in the number somewhere else then copy paste. Virtual Desktop is great for PCVR but you have to buy the Quest side app for 20 bucks. A good dedicated router helps with network latency (has to be connected to pc via cable)
Yes, that was one of the first tweaks I did, changing it to the max of 840. But I got audio stutters in Beat Saber (PCVR version) so I bumped it back down to 500. Thanks for the game recommendations. Does QGO really work well and you think it's worth the price? Some games I tested looked like absolute shit ie Assassin's Creed Nexus; so bad with the jaggies and VR fuzzies I almost lost the will to continue for that reason, though I did end up eventually quitting because I got my first bout of motion sickness in VR using the left stick to move and the right stick to turn. I hope that's not going to be an ongoing thing with me.

Edited to add: I have to learn to enjoy standing while playing VR games instead of being fused with my couch like a mummified forgotten shut-in. Sometimes it's crucial in certain games to be able to quickly turn around and kill the baddie behind me. With flatscreen it was easy enough to do just using a mouse and controller, but here- I was playing Rez Infinite and it almost became the first game I completed until I foolishly fought a boss battle in the next to last level with an enemy that came from behind to position in front of me. Had I turned around I would have been able to preempt his attack, instead I died. So I need to learn to stand as often as possible when playing certain VR games.

Last edited:

Doktor Best

Arcane

Yes, that was one of the first tweaks I did, changing it to the max of 840. But I got audio stutters in Beat Saber (PCVR version) so I bumped it back down to 500. Thanks for the game recommendations. Does QGO really work well and you think it's worth the price? Some games I tested looked like absolute shit ie Assassin's Creed Nexus; so bad with the jaggies and VR fuzzies I almost lost the will to continue for that reason, though I did end up eventually quitting because I got my first bout of motion sickness in VR using the left stick to move and the right stick to turn. I hope that's not going to be an ongoing thing with me.

Edited to add: I have to learn to enjoy standing while playing VR games instead of being fused with my couch like a mummified forgotten shut-in. Sometimes it's crucial in certain games to be able to quickly turn around and kill the baddie behind me. With flatscreen it was easy enough to do just using a mouse and controller, but here- I was playing Rez Infinite and it almost became the first game I completed until I foolishly fought a boss battle in the next to last level with an enemy that came from behind to position in front of me. Had I turned around I would have been able to preempt his attack, instead I died. So I need to learn to stand as often as possible when playing certain VR games.

Stand with a wide leg stance (shoulderwidth) and bend the knees slightly. Motion sickness in VR basically is your brain telling you your visual input and the input of your vestibular system dont align and calls the alarm bells because you might have poisoned yourself. Quit when you feel uneasy and you will build up resistance to this effect. I stopped feeling motion sickness a few weeks in entirely.

The good thing with wireless vr is that you dont have to turn with your thumbsticks at all if you have the necessary space and play standing up.

Assassins Creed Nexus has the issue that it has built in ASW, which causes jitter. Its not very well optimized. Looks really good for a standalone game though.

Quest Games Optimizer works with every standalone game and it works with every game. It depends on you to find the right settings to benefit from it, but to me its the most important tool for Quest3 you can get. I currently play Contractors Showdown for example and it looks MUCH better with QGO and runs the same.

Poseidon00

Arcane

Stand with a wide leg stance (shoulderwidth) and bend the knees slightly. Motion sickness in VR basically is your brain telling you your visual input and the input of your vestibular system dont align and calls the alarm bells because you might have poisoned yourself. Quit when you feel uneasy and you will build up resistance to this effect. I stopped feeling motion sickness a few weeks in entirely.

The good thing with wireless vr is that you dont have to turn with your thumbsticks at all if you have the necessary space and play standing up.

I also stopped feeling any effects from extended play (more than 2 hours) after a week or two. It kinda sucks that you have to go through that hoop, but it never seems to return, no matter how much you go away.

And yeah, you should always play standing up, using as much available space as you have. It feels more natural and having full movement is half the fun of it. Some of my favorite games want you to duck, dodge, and move around in real space as it is.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Well, it looks like I have to break a lot of very bad habits coming from flatscreen and going into VR, the greatest sin being being sedentary for all these decades. Thanks for the tips, boys. I'll be sure to get QGO since I feel VR is still relatively in its infancy so the graphics still need to catch up a bit to what we're used to so they need all the help they can get (I find that frequent glistening effect a bit annoying). QGO will help I'm sure.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom