Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 8.0%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 183 24.7%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 210 28.3%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 129 17.4%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.3%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.9%

• Total voters

UndeadHalfOrc

Novice

catfood

AGAIN
Screenshot-20240430-143944.webp

Screenshot-20240430-143946.webp

Screenshot-20240430-143948.webp

Screenshot-20240430-143949.webp

Screenshot-20240430-143852.webp

Good game, but not as good as the first I think. It had a few design decisions that I didn't like. First of all is the race/class hatred that monsters have. Granted it's only really relevant in the beginning of the game since you can get powerful quite early on, but in those early levels it's a nightmare. My advice either create a full dwarf party or don't add any dwarfs at all since he'll spend most of his time getting knocked out by goblins.

The next few aspects are more sever however. I don't understand why they changed the graphics. The game was very colorful in MM 6, but now they had this really drab, almost de-saturated color palette. Bleah! Also since we're on the subject of graphics, why the fuck did they mess up the portraits? Seriously the portraits in MM 6 are some of the best I've seen. Now they added these prosperous monstrosities. I get that they wanted some portraits for the demi-humans, but come on! How hard could it have been to modify them in Photoshop a bit?

But the worst part was the change to the skill system. In MM 6 not everyone could learn every skill, but every skill could be raised to master level! In MM 7 not only is the skill set for each character limited (as it should be) but the class also dictates the level of mastery that you can get in that skill. Meaning that character development is predetermined from the get go because in most cases you absolutely want grand mastery. There is little point in investing into any skill that you can't get to at least mastery. Investing into something that you can only upgrade to expert is just pointless. I guess maybe for certain skills like perception + disarm trap it might be useful to get them to expert level since traps are only dangerous for low level characters, but in most cases it's pretty much pointless.

The dungeons were also nowhere near as good as the ones in the previous game. There is simply no dungeon here that can rival Tomb of Vaarn or Castle Darkmoor. The dungeons where more a bit more interesting in their themes and designs, but ultimately none of theme felt epic like the ones in MM 6.

The story was a bit better this time around. I liked that you had a choice in the middle of the game which is also reflected in the UI. That was a nice touch and a call back to HOMM 2. Speaking of which it was nice how they tied in the story of MM 3. Too bad the ending was kinda anticlimactic.

PS: great soundtrack but that was to be expected

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
I don't understand why they changed the graphics. The game was very colorful in MM 6, but now they had this really drab, almost de-saturated color palette.
for me its about landscapes being empty. For example in mm6 grass would have plenty of weed/flowers. In mm7 you have bare pixels instead

Kayato

Literate
No idea, sorry. I could read the C++ files for the algorithm on ScummVM's Xeen engine, but who's to say if it comes from the real original EXE from the 90s?
All I know is that at value 100 (0x64) all physical damage is set to 0

gog.com/forum/might_and_magic_series/im_about_to_make_world_of_xeen_balance_patch

https://github.com/scummvm/scummvm/tree/master/engines/mm/xeen
Thanks for the reply.

Just finished World of Xeen with the third ending, I have to say that I really liked it. I preferred the world of MM4 but that of MM5 also had its reasons. I appreciated all the gameplay improvements from MM3. I was pleased to review puzzles involving dungeon design. The crosswords were amazing!
As a criticism I have to mention the "equipment breakdown". In addition to being the main cause of interruption of a dungeon, I expected it to be reported in some way, I always have to remember to see the inventory (because I noticed with the Power Shield active there is no change in the AC). Not to mention the lack of a “fix all!” button. or better yet a spell.
Speaking of the plot:
I understand that the main plot, which links all the chapters, between Corax and Sheltem always appears only at the end, a bit as if it were something marginal. If I'm not wrong then they have nothing to do with the events of MM4 or am I wrong?

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I understand that the main plot, which links all the chapters, between Corax and Sheltem always appears only at the end, a bit as if it were something marginal. If I'm not wrong then they have nothing to do with the events of MM4 or am I wrong?
It links indirectly. If you've been to the bottom of Dungeon of Death (one of the optional dungeons exclusive to the WOX dual-game setup) you've seen the machines that produce more Lord Xeen clones. Presumably this is where the Lord Xeen of MM4 came from, and Sheltem is responsible for him and the others being made. It's Might and Magic though, there's a definite attempt at continuity across all the games but the overarching story doesn't always make complete sense.

Kayato

Literate
It links indirectly. If you've been to the bottom of Dungeon of Death (one of the optional dungeons exclusive to the WOX dual-game setup) you've seen the machines that produce more Lord Xeen clones. Presumably this is where the Lord Xeen of MM4 came from, and Sheltem is responsible for him and the others being made. It's Might and Magic though, there's a definite attempt at continuity across all the games but the overarching story doesn't always make complete sense.
I've been there, besides the cloning machines for Lord Xeen there were the control systems for the elements so it made me think of the "X.E.E.N. control center." therefore something already present before the arrival of Sheltem. The key to the dungeon was in Sandro's hands, which is why I see a fairly weak connection.
But it could also be that he released a Lord Xeen to keep the other half busy, after all he should know all these worlds well.
I was expecting some revelation or connection in the ending of MM4.

DaveO

Erudite
Xeen has the blobber style, and MM6 has the best real-time/turn-based experience. I enjoyed MM8 mainly for the bounty hunting that gives you millions of experience points when you do all three levels of the quest.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
mm8 solo was a fun experience. Tried few times to do mm6 and its such a chore that I cant continue.
With dungeons being so large and game throwing crowds at you - it takes forever to clear. Had a good attempt with druid but eventually I wanted armageddon to clear trash outside + resistances were an issue in garrick forge and other locations like it(heavy on warlocks)
Sorc run took me way further. Ive cleared kriegspire but I was already dead inside there. I really like that castle but it did take forever. I just dont want to push through darkmoor and varn.

Obviously solo runs are metagaming heavy. In mm8 it was pretty smooth progression, I could feel my character improving basically all the way, with ogre stronghold being the biggest struggle to overcome.
In mm6 I rush for early armageddon, dark mastery, then quickly for mordred, then archmage promo... and then there is brain dead chore of clearing all content until you lose it

DaveO

Erudite
I am so getting my ass handed to me playing Might & Magic merge mod as a Minotaur Ranger. I may have seriously underestimated how savage the game is solo...

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
I am so getting my ass handed to me playing Might & Magic merge mod as a Minotaur Ranger. I may have seriously underestimated how savage the game is solo...
it does balance enemies in weird way. For example when i started in mm6, ive compared that baa followers are MUCH stronger around castle ironfist

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom