Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Everything you've ever wanted to know about Gothic 3

Paranoid Jack

Scholar
"World design & NPCs will surely be better than in Oblivion, simply because they´re hand-made instead of more or less generated.
Whether or not the graphics as a whole will be better/equal/worse than Oblivion´s is hard to say before the release. But even if they are slightly weaker it´s compensated by the complete absence of loading breaks and an interface without consolitis."

You pretty much put into words what my hopes are hinging on. From the screens the world of G3 can be just as impressive visually but in most cases not as open (with long view distances). At least from the screens and videos I have seen so far. But the graphics are strong enough to hold there own as long as they have made a deeper slightly more realistic world (which won't be hard to due when compared to Oblivion) I think G3 will surpass Oblivion's PC sales.

I never could get into Morrowind for more than a few dozen hours without growing bored. And though I never finished G2 I spent more time and had more pleasure playing it than Morrowind... by far.

So if you take the past and build on it I am excited for G3. I just don't understand why they haven't made better use of the media by releasing meatier game-play videos. The several I saw from a German games program were impressive but the developer never really put the character into action only standing around and explaining things for the most part. Though I am not even close to being fluid in German so I don't really know what he was saying. The entire time I was hoping he would tell the interview to shut up and let me show you a few things real quick. You know... run the PC into a dungeon or kill a few baddies in the forest.

I'll admit this thread alone has got me excited about the possibilities that G3 may bring us. And I'm certain I will buy it now as opposed to a month or so back when I was not sure. I think the statement that somebody made about the world being five times the size as G2's just made my head spin.

I figured/assumed they must be going for more of an exploration feel this time and not having the baddies so tightly spaced as in G2. Sounds good to me but I still want to see more combat videos of game-play footage... we have a month and a half so I think its safe to say they will release more soon. I am hoping.

The_Pope

Scholar
Gorath said:
G3 is the single most awaited game in Germany, across all genres.

:shock: Cryisis looks pretty big to me, and it's also German. Is the RPG market bigger in Germany?

Atrokkus

Erudite
To aries202
What's that, a kindeygarten broke loose?

You shouldn't be allowed to gain fame by consciusly killing someone that lies unconscious on the ground without the ability to defend themselves. This simply isn't fair, IMHO. (and, IMO, is a sellout to the action crowd...)
HUh? Fair? Why must it be fair? Who set the rules?
Why do people do that in real life if it's not fair?

Direwolf

Arcane
aries202 said:
My point is this:
You shouldn't be allowed to gain fame by consciusly killing someone that lies unconscious on the ground without the ability to defend themselves. This simply isn't fair, IMHO. (and, IMO, is a sellout to the action crowd...)

I beat his ass fair and square in a fight. That was just killing blow. How exactly does it make in unfair? :shock:

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
aries202 said:
I also like the fact that you again start out a nobody, trying to win fortune and fame for yourself.
Uhh.. that isn't really what Gothic is about.

However, I do not like the whole unconscious thing where you have to deliver a final blow to your opponent - just to gain respect either from the humans, the slaves or the orcs.
Where do you get that ridiculous idea? You deliever a final blow to kill your opponent. What's the alternative? Every fight goes to the death?
That'd royally screw up the subtle differences that exist in Gothic. As it is, an arena fight is a contest allowing you go gain fame as a warrior in the eyes of the Orcs. If you kill your opponent however, it'll be regarded as murder and you'll be treated accordingly. Respect indeed.

I believe this takes the game in the direction of an FPS, where combat is used to gain respect, fortune and fame for yourself. It is very disturbing to me that this feature has been added in by the devs.
[I hope there will be an option to turn it off, at least].
So basically, you are utterly clueless about Gothic. Besides, how does it make the game more FPS-like? The opposite is true. It's not just about killing stuff, which is why you can choose to kill or let your opponent live, and important choice at that.

You don't gain fame by killing someone. You earn a reputation, good or bad, with different factions. It's done because it makes sense and establishes your position in the gameworld. You go around killing Orcs, the Rebels will like you, Orcs won't. You kill Rebels, the Orcs like you.
Oh, and what's the idiocy about fairness? You do know the context of the game, right? Orcs occupying the human land, slavehunters allied with them, rebels fighting them? It's not a sport, it's war. Fairness just doesn't figure it.
When you want fairness in Gothic 3, play a Gladiator and fight in the arena. In the arena, killing your opponent is baaaad.

So... are you for real? Or just playing some kind of stupid game of being stupid?

Claw

Erudite
Patron
'nother update

Some guy on WoG who attended GC posted a list of all perks, although he forgot two or so.
I find it a little disappointing in some ways, but judge for yourself.

So without further ado, for your spoilertainment:

Combat Skills:
- Swordfigther
- Expert Swordfighter
- Master Swordfighter
- Combat with two Weapons
- Expert Combat with two Weapons
- unknown Perk (let me guess.. Master Combat with two Weapons? Actually no, that has to be the elusive Jump Attack which has been mentioned several times before)
- Large Weapons
- Large Weapons (Expert)
- Large Weapons (Master)
- Crossbow
- Crossbow (Expert)
- Crossbow (Master)
- Regeneration: Regenerates Health without Resting
- Bonus Damage vs Orcs
- Paladin: Bonus Damage vs Beliars' Minions
- Shield Combat
- Improved Shield Combat: lower Stamina loss when blocking with shields

Hunting Skills:
- Archer
- Archer (Expert)
- Archer (Master)
- Hunter: Bonus Damaage vs Game (deer etc.)
- Big-Game Hunter: Bonus Damaage vs Predators (lions etc.)
- Sneak: you can sneak up to animals
- Bonus Damage vs Orcs (Archery, I presume)
- Pelting
- Skinning
- Take Teeth, Claws, Horns etc.

Ancient Lore:
- Black Mage: Bonus to Summoning
- Water Mage: Bonus to Transformation
- Feuermagier: Bonus to Domination
- Druid: Transmutation duration doubled
- Robes armour rating doubled
- Additional Lerning Point on Level-Up (retroactively? Otherwise.. It's an odd Perk either way, maybe Mages need extra points to learn their spells)
- Staves
- Staves (Expert)
- Staves (Master)
- Deflect spells with magic staves

Forging:
- Mining: double yield
- Forging Normal Swords
- Forging Ore Swords
- Forging Pure Ore Swords
- Improve Armour

Thievery:
- Backstab: Instant Kill (?)
- Throw Opponent
- Haggling: get more money at merchants
- Make Excuses
- Simple Pickpocketing
- Expert Pickpocketing
- Impossible Pickpocketing
- Master Thief: can completely rob NPCs
- Lockpicking
- Lockpicking (Expert)
- Lockpicking (Impossible)

Alchemy:
- Healing Potions
- Mana Potions
- Poison Weapons
- Create Poisoned Arrow
- Create Burning Arrow
- Create Exploding Arrow
- Permanent Potions
- Potions of Transmutation

Miscellanous:
- Resistance vs. Weakness
- Resistance vs. Poison
- Resistance vs. Heat/Fire
- Resistance vs. Cold
- Wolf's Stamina: longer sprinting
- Acrobatics

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Hm, to be frank I get the impression that PB went the way of Bethesda: "hey, we have 5 different perks: the first gives a bonus of +1, the second +2, the next one +3... and up to +5". But, I'm not sure and I'm still convinced the game will pwnzerize.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Elwro said:
Hm, to be frank I get the impression that PB went the way of Bethesda: "hey, we have 5 different perks: the first gives a bonus of +1, the second +2, the next one +3... and up to +5". But, I'm not sure and I'm still convinced the game will pwnzerize.
Yeah, pretty much my feelings. Some perks seem incredibly lame - although in case of combat I hope it does actually mean new moves, as promised. Of course in that case I wonder why they didn't just give the perks names like "roundabout swing" or similar, but maybe they chose to upgrade combat more in their original style rather than individual attacks.
On the other hand, I don't know what the archery perks will provide; maybe the first gives you the crosshair, another lets you shoot faster, and another grants you the ability to make headshots - yes, there will be headshots.
I expect the Lockpick skills imply that there will be locks of different difficulty, and you need the right perk to be able to even try to unlock one. :|

I find the poisoning perks annoying. Just let me make the poison and decide how to apply it for Beliar's sake. An unconsiousness poison would have been great as non-magic alternative to sleep.

Naked_Lunch said:
See no reason to worry. They did the same thing in the last two and it worked out pretty well.
Not really. In the first, they had a few steps, and in the second they diversified, using a more conventional system for combat and a perk system for secondary skills.
I really liked the way thievery skills were implemented, the perk gave you the basic ability, and your dexterity determined how good you were at it.

And now they bloated the number of perks by having three lockpick perks. I think the system in Gothic 2 was better.
On the other hand, there are still many "true" perks, and some really cool stuff like backstab. I totall wanted this perk.

I am missing mana regen. Maybe it'll be the missing magic perk, but I ain't sure. The devs said there will be a spell that accelerates time to pass the time 'till the next morning in seconds, refilling mana. If that is their idea of "mana regen" I don't know.

By the way, it seems that axes and polearms make up the Large Weapons category. Also, while the perks talk about one-handed combat and the devs said you could combine any one-handed weapon for the two-weapon style, I get a strong impression that one-handed weapon means sword. I haven't seen any club or mace, nor a one-handed axe.
It looks to me like there will be swords - maybe one and two handed variants - and big axes (polearms) and finally magic staves. Done. Maybe I am just pessimistic. The closer the release date gets, the more worried I become, but also the more bad news there seems to be.
The game was very buggy and unfinished at GC. Many fans who got a chance to play expressed doubt about the game making the release date.
I greatly dislike the new demon model equipped with sword and armour. Have a look:

I hope the much cooler Gargoyle will be an alternative summons so I can avoid the atrocity above, although that will probably mean missing out on the most powerful summoning spell in the game.

suibhne

Erudite
The "bad" perks everybody keeps mentioning are not much different from G1 and G2 - progressive levels of skill. The good perks are far better. "Make Excuses" sounds like a real live dialog skill in a Gothic game! Archery looks to be far more useful. Etc., etc. At the very least, this looks no worse than G2, and it seems potentially far richer and more flexible.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
By the way, the perks "Ancient Lore:Mana Regeneration" and "Alchemy:Poison" were missing on that list.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom