Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Prelude 1.8 Test Link

CP

Liturgist
Azael said:
Skill point allocation is still painfully slow, I have characters with tons of unused points simply because it's too much of a chore to use them.

Please PM me and I'll give you my email address. I'd love a saved game. Thanks.

CP

puppyonastik

Augur
I've experienced repeated game freezes upon initiating combat; the only way to quit out from this is to Ctrl+alt+Del. I couldn't pinpoint any trigger as in character choice, point of view, etc... Seems to be pretty random. I've noticed this in the last version also.

Perishiko

Scholar
Higher Game said:
I tested it on my brother's nicer computer, and there is no delay or sluggishness with cursor speed, the higher resolutions do work (besides the text issue), and the graphics even look better! :evil:

Turn down the graphics whoredom please. Not all of us have $600+ computers here. :lol:

My computer's actually from 1999. Hurray for old systems!

And thanks for the drop on the newer version. It's quite the fun game.

Atrokkus

Erudite
Damn damn.
Can't get the character models to show up on the screen. just the walls and everythng else is blackened.

My specs:
Duron 800
390 MB DIMM
Geforce 2 MX400 32mb

What coudl go wrong?

EDIT:
During the runtime I had very little disk space left -- about 200 mb max. However, i 've seen no warnings on space being eaten up further, critically. Could that be the issue here?

galsiah

Erudite
More bits and bobs:

First, the death+Olvar's bug only occurs when a starting character dies. Other party members recover at the end of the combat.

The game sometimes crashes in the barter screen, just as I place an item in one of the purchase slots. This can happen at any time - including a few minutes after loading. (once it happened three times after loading from the same save, but I was more concerned with playing than being sure what caused the error).
When I'm next bartering, I'll try to investigate more thoroughly.
[Edit: just to be clear, this bug is pretty rare - I can play for hours, and barter quite a bit without it happening.]

The speed stat of one of my main characters (female druid) now constantly displays as 24, when it should be 18. [24 decimal is 18 in hex: conspiracy :?]

However, her speed is still effectively 18 for combat purposes at least - perhaps only the display is wrong.

This same character also seems to develop, then lose, armor skill for no good reason. She started with no armor skill, and has possibly gained one or two points in combat. However, sometimes her armor displays as 19, and sometimes doesn't appear at all.

I don't think I've ever added any skill to her armor by awarding skill points (half the time it doesn't exist anyway).
I can't really tell whether she gets the effects of the 19 armor, or not.

Attribute increase potions don't seem to work either. When a character takes one (I've tried at least the +3 speed one, and the +1str +1dex +1spd one) the increase is shown on their stat screen. However, the effects don't make a difference in practice, and going back to the screen (even after a few seconds) shows the attribute(s) having returned to normal.

The same is true for Winnifred's dagger (either unfinished, or partially finished). The speed increase shows in the stat menu (but this time never disappears), but makes no difference in combat.
Thinking about it, I think I've only tried this with the above druid so far - and her speed is already screwed (possibly because of the dagger??).

Another issue - when getting the first enchantment for the dagger, it was equipped, so the guy "took" it without actually removing it. After a day, I returned, and ended up with two copies of the dagger: one unfinished, one partially finished.

Perhaps the druid's speed got screwed up at this point - I don't remember, but I'll check if I've got a suitable save.

Also, in combat, a creature whose speed has been reduced to zero (or below??) shows up as having "Perfect" speed when examined. The behaviour is correct though - they act as if they've got 0 speed, rather than e.g. 25.

For the first round of combat, characters all have their full number of action points - regardless of armor penalties. For subsequent rounds things are as they should be.

Occasionally I get something like "Bad number of results in cond" showing up in the text display. I think this has only occured at the start of a random encounter - usually when fast travelling. Tauna is in our party, so that might have a bearing.

One last thing:
I dismissed Hyric (sp?) from the party and instructed her to wait at Kellen. I did this in a cave interior - the ones where the guy who stole the dagger from the Academy museum is hiding. When I arrived in Kellen, she wasn't there, and hasn't turned up since (I've been back a few times over a few days).
I'm guessing this is a bug [though in game I'm assuming she met a grim end on the way back to Kellen: the roads are being watched by evil folk after all].

Oh and out of interest, do brown cloth pants actually have 0-4 damage absorption, or is that a typo? Does the display info come from the same data as the combat system works from?
Either way, I guess it's an error, since they're only worth 1 drach.

That's about it.
I'll spend a few minutes trying to eliminate some of the vagueness, and get back to you.

Slylandro

Scholar
So what's really different then? Hopefully the Novaculus bug is gone? Because that's the main problem with the previous version. Memory leaks, resolution problems, occasional random crashes to desk are not *too* big a deal in comparison to not being able to complete the game.

Edit: In case it matters and no one mentioned it yet, one annoying bug I ran into in the previous version was when you're out in the wilderness and then suddenly corpses, skeletons, and loot magically appear out of nowhere in front of you. Sometimes (usually rare), it happened several times in a row, generating a ridiculously large post-battle mess in front of me. I am not sure what causes this bug, it seemed totally random.

Monolith

Prophet
That happened to me in outside of Kellen near that old man's house. Suddenly all those corpses appeared out of the nowhere after I killed a hopper. Much loot. Unfortunately most of it was scattered around inside that garden you can't enter...

Another bug:
In the east part of Land's End there are those "sisters" or whatever, I forgot how they are called, they can sell you those ingredients which you need to blow up the temple without killing the monk inside. I went to them out of curiosity before getting that quest and when I talked to them, I got a journal entry telling me to use those berries or whatever on the monk to be able to blow up the temple without casualties - before actually knowing that I'll have to blow up that temple. It's minor but unnecessary I think.

Slylandro

Scholar
Heh, don't get me even started on the journal, a good fraction of the entries are either missing or wrong for many of the quests in the middle game. Again though, these issues are pretty trivial compared to any bugs that prevent completion of the game. I'll be playing 1.8 for the next few weeks, I'll make note in this thread if I find any weird new bugs. Hopefully the Novaculus thing is gone though. Also again I'd like to thank the PtD team for still trying to patch a game this long after it came out. Good luck on your next game, I'd buy it. :)

galsiah

Erudite
Slylandro said:
In case it matters and no one mentioned it yet, one annoying bug I ran into in the previous version was when you're out in the wilderness and then suddenly corpses, skeletons, and loot magically appear out of nowhere in front of you.
I think that's a "feature".
Clearly it'd be better if the stuff appeared off screen, but that's just a graphical issue. Gameplay-wise I think it's working as intended(?).

SpookyFM

Novice
Hmmm, I still get that Telus bug... And some more cases where there probably "should be" more (quest-related) dialog options but they're not there. Strange.

sheek

Arbiter
Somebody upload it to Sendspace.com

CP, why don't make the next update 2.0 and a sequel?

Slylandro

Scholar
galsiah said:
Slylandro said:
In case it matters and no one mentioned it yet, one annoying bug I ran into in the previous version was when you're out in the wilderness and then suddenly corpses, skeletons, and loot magically appear out of nowhere in front of you.
I think that's a "feature".
Clearly it'd be better if the stuff appeared off screen, but that's just a graphical issue. Gameplay-wise I think it's working as intended(?).

I'm pretty sure it's a feature too, but obviously I was reporting a bug in the implementation. I'm guessing there is some sort of function to check where your party is on the map, and then spawn the remnants of a former battle somewhere near you, preferably in the direction your party is heading. I'm guessing the problem is that the party moves so fast that we accidentally witness the spawn.

kaizoku

Arcane
Serus said:
All download slots (500) assigned to your country are in use.
Please try again later. I Hate it.
I second it :evil:

I've tried it several times but the only thing i get is them nagging me to install their spyware toolbar :evil:

Please put it somewhere else, like rapidshare

Thanks

mathboy

Liturgist
Make a torrent out of it and I'd seed a lot once I get it. 10Mb/s up!

CP

Liturgist
Slylandro said:
In case it matters and no one mentioned it yet, one annoying bug I ran into in the previous version was when you're out in the wilderness and then suddenly corpses, skeletons, and loot magically appear out of nowhere in front of you. Sometimes (usually rare), it happened several times in a row, generating a ridiculously large post-battle mess in front of me. I am not sure what causes this bug, it seemed totally random.

This is a random event. Did a text window appear saying that you have stumbled upon a deserted battlefield? That should only happen one random event in 20 or so, so that's very strange that it happened to you a few times in a row...

Slylandro said:
Heh, don't get me even started on the journal, a good fraction of the entries are either missing or wrong for many of the quests in the middle game.

The journal is a bit of a mess. We tried to fix it up in the last version, but I think we may have made it worse. Unfortunately I'm not sure we'll ever be able to fix that... it just takes so much time to go through all the code and make sure everything is in its right place.

sheek said:
Somebody upload it to Sendspace.com. CP, why don't make the next update 2.0 and a sequel?

A few upload spots have been recommended. Any concensus on which is the best?

We'd love to do a sequel/expansion, and have though have thought a lot about where we'd take it (most likely it would take place to the east of the Valley, or perhaps in the future). Things is, it so much time and effort to make Prelude that before we would get started on a sequel we would need to be sure that was enough demand to justify the opportunity costs.

Thanks.

CP

pinoy6600

Novice
mathboy said:
Make a torrent out of it and I'd seed a lot once I get it. 10Mb/s up!

Is there a torrent file out? I really can't download the game off Megaupload. That download service really sucks.

NeVeRLiFt

Liturgist
The link worked for me.

I have not tried this game yet, but if this version seems stable I might give it a try.

Is this the final version or will there be another update that fixes the bugs and memory leaks people are posting about?

Slylandro

Scholar
Well after a brief drought of decent RPGs I decided to pick up Prelude again, version 1.8 this time. Stability seems somewhat improved but don't expect any miracles. Combat still causes intermittent crashes. Same for bartering but it's not really often enough to be a big deal. The weird spinning camera bug seems to be gone now. (This might just have to do with me changing graphics cards though-- ATI to Nvidia). Seems the Subei axe bug (the weapon type internally isn't Axe-- I don't get the Rend option and my axe char can't hit anything significant with it) is still in.

The Novaculus bug is apparently fixed. Unfortunately I can't complete the game still-- during one of the final encounters with the Major Possessed (at the docks of Crossing East), if I kill any of them, the game crashes. This happened about four times in a row and I can't think of a way past it, I may try my luck again later. Still though it's so close to the endgame that I guess for all purposes I've completed the game.

Ander Vinz

Scholar
What happend to minor inteface improvements? Like on <A HREF="http://www.zero-sum.com/img/screens/screen2small.jpg">this</A> screenshot?

Ladonna

Arcane
Just wondering if anyone has a 1.8 download link anywhere?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom