Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic III - Facts list: the good, the bad

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
I guess a lot of us are looking forward to this one (I am). I took a look at the facts list on the official forums (http://forum.jowood.de/showthread.php?t=114524). Most of it sounds pretty good, although there are a few snags as well. Here are a few points I found interesting:

- Six "guilds" : Assassins/slavetraders, Nomads, Ork-hunters, Forest people, Rebels, Orks. Also the guilds are less central - you are not forced to be in any guild, you can theoretically play guild-less. That sounds good, it probably removes some of the "railed" feeling in the previous Gothics.

- You can now use all weapons, but of course effectiveness depends on skill. Another good move, I always hate "character can't use this" type limitations.

- You need a "cold resistance" skill to navigate the colder regions. In principle a good idea to have cold damage, but wouldn't this be better handled by forcing you to use suitable clothing / equipment?

- there will be three different endings. Side with orks, men, or a third undisclosed solution. Great, it's always good to have an actual decision here, and the feeling that you actually can influence the outcome.

-Perks (mostly weapon perks I think) have to be learned from trainers, and the player has to meet certain requirements to learn. A better solution then the automatic perks with skill progression planned for Oblivion IMHO.

- The rune magic system is gone. "there will be only elemental magic, and a few people who know it" - Not sure what that really means, but it sounds like the magic path is not a very central feature this time.

- Summoning now only works in certain places. Not sure why this would be a good idea. summoning was some of my favourite spells in gothic II.

- Armor is now made of various pieces - Mix and match a la TES. A good thing I think. Getting a new suit of armor had a bigger impact than any level increase in the past Gothics, and this should help make it a bit more of an incremental progression. Plus its alwasy fun to hunt for a complete set of armor.

- Quests can be solved in different ways resulting in different rewards - thats a good thing for replayability etc.

- no mounts. Apparently Bethy are not the only ones who are not up to the challenge of mounted combat...

- Physics are only for show, little gameplay impact. That's too bad, there is so much potential there.

- Mixed facts on combat: For one apparently less timing necessary - diablo style click until dead (Ugh!) on the other hand, perk special moves have to be timed. there will be shields and dual wielding this time. It's very ambiguous to me right now.

- And of course a larger world. Which is supposed to be more "free-form". sounds good to me!

Some things are a bit dubious, like the unclear status of magic, and the clickey sounding combat, but mostly it sounds like more of the good old stuff. [/url]

Section8

Cipher
You need a "cold resistance" skill to navigate the colder regions. In principle a good idea to have cold damage, but wouldn't this be better handled by forcing you to use suitable clothing / equipment?

Perhaps the "skill" bit is a mistranslation? The armour in previous games had resistances built in, it would make sense to add cold resistance, and in doing so, diversify the choice. Furs are likely to be good protection against the cold, but wouldn't be as good in a fight, etc.

Physics are only for show, little gameplay impact. That's too bad, there is so much potential there.

That's a real shame. I hope they decide to watch the Dark Messiah promo vids. Physics as a superficial feature don't have any "wow factor" anymore, so unless you're using them for gameplay purposes, it's something you're just pouring resources into because "everybody else is doing it."

Mixed facts on combat: For one apparently less timing necessary - diablo style click until dead (Ugh!) on the other hand, perk special moves have to be timed. there will be shields and dual wielding this time. It's very ambiguous to me right now.

I don't know if "less timing" is a good thing in the case of Gothic. It made a very simple system challenging, but still managed to preserve character stat importance to some extent. But as you say, it's a bit ambiguous, so hopefully we'll hear/see more down the track.

It does sound like the good old stuff and then a bit more, so it could be one of this year's highlights.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
GhanBuriGhan said:
- there will be three different endings. Side with orks, men, or a third undisclosed solution.

Side with both and go out partying?

Great, it's always good to have an actual decision here, and the feeling that you actually can influence the outcome.

But is this based on a decision or is it based on actions made troughout the game?

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
Section8 said:
Perhaps the "skill" bit is a mistranslation? The armour in previous games had resistances built in, it would make sense to add cold resistance, and in doing so, diversify the choice. Furs are likely to be good protection against the cold, but wouldn't be as good in a fight, etc.

This is all from the german site, so no mistranslation. It's not "skill" per se, but they specifically say you have to "learn" it - so most likely it's a perk. How do you "learn" cold resistance?

Micmu

Magister
I don't give a flying fuck for horsies, physics and dual wielding (retarded). However I'm a little puzzled about magic. I hope that with elemental magic they don't mean like only Kaboom!!! spells. Previous Gothics didn't have much spells, but it would be a real shame to reduce them even more.
I don't know, but it looks like as if there are three main paths (at least to some extent, like 2/5 of the game in G1) AND various guilds as an addition to that. If that's really it, I'm thrilled.
So what's their PR department doing? No hype yet?

Screaming_life

Liturgist
GhanBuriGhan said:
How do you "learn" cold resistance?

lie down in a bath of ice?

It mostly sounds good. I think i read something about magic, how it was kinda dead or something? but will come into prominance as the game progresses i imagine.

"Summoning now only works in certain places" sounds like they might be trying to avoid skeletons chasing after friendly npc's or something? If the restrictions are justified in the game it won't bother me but if it's something like you can't summon demons during boss fights because they're too hard (i killed all the dragons in G2 with them) then that'll be annoying.

Combat doesn't sound too good. I always thought Gothic did clicky combat quite well... it was possible to beat strong foes even at early levels if you were calm enough... but was a hell of a lot easier at higher skill levels.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
GhanBuriGhan said:
How do you "learn" cold resistance?
By eating an omelette made from white dragon eggs, I suppose.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to this game as I enjoy the previous 2 (+NotR) very much. Too bad the combat will be changed to reduce the need for timing, but somehow I have confidence in Piranha Bytes that they know what they're doing.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
GhanBuriGhan said:
Also the guilds are less central - you are not forced to be in any guild, you can theoretically play guild-less. That sounds good, it probably removes some of the "railed" feeling in the previous Gothics.
Absolutely. I do hope there are many guild trainers offering special training for members that isn't (easily) available for guildless players.

- You can now use all weapons, but of course effectiveness depends on skill. Another good move, I always hate "character can't use this" type limitations.
I am not too fond of "hard" limits, but I feel there ought to be something. Maybe they'll change they'll change the damage system to make stats more relevant so extra restricitons aren't necessary.

- You need a "cold resistance" skill to navigate the colder regions. In principle a good idea to have cold damage, but wouldn't this be better handled by forcing you to use suitable clothing / equipment?
Where did you get this info from? From what I heard, you can get cold resistance or wear special armour for protection against cold. That'd be cool, I haven't seen that since Star Trail.

-Perks (mostly weapon perks I think) have to be learned from trainers, and the player has to meet certain requirements to learn. A better solution then the automatic perks with skill progression planned for Oblivion IMHO.
I agree, but I am still wary of this. At the time of the Gamestar article the whole system wasn't even thought through yet, and the cited ideas weran't thrilling. I don't want to suddenly do double damage to Orcs, I want to learn new attacks.

- The rune magic system is gone. "there will be only elemental magic, and a few people who know it" - Not sure what that really means, but it sounds like the magic path is not a very central feature this time.
I wasn't aware it ever was. I have no idea what elemental magic is supposed to mean, though. I just hope they create an interesting magic system.

- Summoning now only works in certain places. Not sure why this would be a good idea. summoning was some of my favourite spells in gothic II.
Actually I think it's very cool. That a mage can just pull a summons out of his sleeve always stuck me as kinda lame, it'd be cool to perform a dark ceremony at some ritual location to summon some ancient evil, and demons are supposed to be more powerful this time.
Besides, I only heard that demons cannot be summoned anywhere, I heard nothing about other summons.

- Armor is now made of various pieces - Mix and match a la TES. A good thing I think.
Yeah, although I don't care very much, and I'd rather have not too many parts. I don't like running around in some freakish mix because I can't find all the parts for a fitting set.

Plus its alwasy fun to hunt for a complete set of armor.
No, it isn't.

- no mounts. Apparently Bethy are not the only ones who are not up to the challenge of mounted combat...
True. I guess Piranha Bytes only want to implement a feature if they can do it properly.

- Physics are only for show, little gameplay impact. That's too bad, there is so much potential there.
Not really. Gothic 2 didn't even need physics to allow such fancy features like picking up used arrows. What I've seen from Oblivion was just playing around. The traps could be scripted, they don't need "real" physics to work.
Or in other words, some developers are just more honest than others.

- Mixed facts on combat: For one apparently less timing necessary - diablo style click until dead (Ugh!) on the other hand, perk special moves have to be timed. there will be shields and dual wielding this time. It's very ambiguous to me right now.
I agree, they both promise simplified combat and the old system for those who want it.
Maybe they'll just do it like in Gothic2, just making the alternative the default one, since most players (and reviewers) were apparently too stupid to even realize it exists.
It makes sense too, people who prefer a sophisticated system should be able to figure out how to check a box in the menu, too.

Some things are a bit dubious, like the unclear status of magic, and the clickey sounding combat, but mostly it sounds like more of the good old stuff.
Yup. More info would be nice, but they'll probably wait until a few months to the release.

deus

Liturgist
- Six "guilds" : Assassins/slavetraders, Nomads, Ork-hunters, Forest people, Rebels, Orks. Also the guilds are less central - you are not forced to be in any guild, you can theoretically play guild-less. That sounds good, it probably removes some of the "railed" feeling in the previous Gothics.
I think Forest people has been translated as Ranger. I like the slave trader aspect and the lowered importance of guilds.

It'll probably be something like a penalty to damage equal to your skill defeciency. This'll be good for those times near the end of the game where you get a new weapon and your strength is 5 points too low.

I bet this will be like gold mining in NotR i.e. you spend 5 points and then forget about it.

- there will be three different endings. Side with orks, men, or a third undisclosed solution. Great, it's always good to have an actual decision here, and the feeling that you actually can influence the outcome.
Based on what they've said before, I think you can change sides, but this isn't a decision made in the last 5 minutes.

I thought you learned base components, and then combined them to form new abilities. Still, straight perks isn't a bad thing.

Part of the plot deals with the disappearance of magic, so this isn't surprising. In practice, I doubt magic will be significantly different since you start with shit magic anyway in the other 2 anyway. Circles have probably been replace with the gradual resurgence of magic.

- Armor is now made of various pieces
Does these mean there's area-based damage?

I feel sick... I really hope this is a mistranslation.

John_Blazze

Augur
im sure its mistranslation, why would they change a feature THAT much? its not Oblivion lol

Section8

Cipher
This is all from the german site, so no mistranslation. It's not "skill" per se, but they specifically say you have to "learn" it - so most likely it's a perk. How do you "learn" cold resistance?

Sounds a bit wacky if you ask me. :? But thanks for the clarification.

Kairal

Novice
I sure hope they fix the combat (upgrading your critical hit chance? what the hell were they smoking?) ... although a Diablo system is even worse.

Lord Chambers

Erudite
So...do they have English people write the dialogue for the English versions of the game? I never noticed any wanky dialogue in Gothic II.

John_Blazze

Augur
Lord Chambers said:
So...do they have English people write the dialogue for the English versions of the game? I never noticed any wanky dialogue in Gothic II.

hmmmmm....maybe they JUST know the english good enough????

hiciacit

Liturgist
Jinxed said:
It would be funny if they forgot to add stairs in the game again. :p

Originally they wanted to add an option for you role-playing a physically impaired person driving around in a weelchair.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom