Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Jagged Alliance 3 - The First Trailer

Jason

chasing a bee
<strong>[ Trailer ]</strong>

<p>Akella and Strategy First are giving us our first look at <a href="http://www.rpgcodex.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=16671" target="_blank"><strong>Jagged Alliance 3</strong></a> with a 2:30 minute trailer showing a 3 man assault on a drug lord's compound. There's not a lot we can say about the gameplay at this point, but it's great to see the Silent Storm engine back in action.</p><p>Download the trailer <a href="http://ru.akella.com/Files/Games/1834/video/jagged.avi" target="_blank">here</a> or stream it at YouTube (<a href="http://youtube.com/watch?v=DAUWAvqjnYw" target="_blank">part 1</a>, <a href="http://youtube.com/watch?v=qEGxb1JYdFc" target="_blank">part2</a>).</p><p><em>Many thanks to Scooly at <a href="http://jaggedalliance.pl/" target="_blank">Liberate Arulco</a> for the tip.</em> </p>

denizsi

Arcane
Tears of joy rushed to my eyes. This video got me hyped more than any recent upcoming <s>RPG</s> game. I hope the final game won't ship with shitty optimisation though; framerate looked very sucky. Also, some of the gameplay mechanics and the structural damage/destruction system seems kind of iffy. Looking very good nonetheless.

So, is this the "true" JA3? All the controversy around JA titles, one being cancelled, one given to a different developers, one being made as a "prelude" game to test the new API etc. had me confused now. Will it be non-linear with free-roaming or linear on a mission by mission fashion? Continuity / connection between missions? Is story the one about being hired to topple the fashist administration in some made up third world country?

edit: Note to self: the tag for "strike" uses traditional html brackets.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
denizsi said:
So, is this the "true" JA3?
Yes.
The "other one", being made by Russkies I think, is now being called something else. A quick search of our news posts may shed better light (and possibly on your other questions too), but I don't have the time right now.

sah

Liturgist
It's odd that they would reuse music and sounds from JA2. Oh well. It's good to see a guard being knocked out (I could never sneak on redshirts that well in JA2).

Severian Silk

When is the game going to be released? Anyone know the minimum hardware specs?

Deacdo

Liturgist
It's pre-alpha, so there is a lot of work to be done.

Scheduled for late 2008.

Hopefully no-name Russian dev can pull it off.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
denizsi:

To clarify, GFI were doing Jagged Alliance 3D and Jagged Alliance 3. Due to lots of disagreements about the direction of Jagged Alliance 3D, Strategy First terminated the contract with GFI to do any Jagged Alliance related games.

GFI then renamed the partially developed Jagged Alliance 3D to JAZZ: Hired Guns.

And Strategy First then hired Akella and F3 Games to make Jagged Alliance 3 using the Silent Storm engine.

http://www.rpgcodex.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=15083

Mr Happy

Scholar
Oh god yes. If we are lucky, we'll get a fire-while-running option. Unfortunately, I can barely run Silent Storm, so I guess its time for an upgrade soon.

Severian Silk

Will the game have 4X elements like the second one did, or will it be entirely mission-based?

Jason

chasing a bee
More mission oriented. From previous news:
# There will be no more militia training and sector defense, because players supposedly don't like micro-management. The focus will be shifted towards combat and away from economics. As for strategy, the focus will be on missions, rather than on conquering territory.
# The player can command only one squad of up to 6 (maybe 8) mercs.
There will be 20 key objectives given by your employer, plus, as in JA2, optional side quests obtained from NPCs. Missions are non-linear: more like JA2 missions (e.g. taking control of SAMs or liberating Tixa) than like in Silent Storm.
This was from 7 months ago, though. Here's a more recent article at Gamespot.
According to an Akella representative, the game will have an overarching story, but like previous installments in the series, it will be largely open-ended and will feature side missions you can take on.

Oarfish

Prophet
Lets just hope the soldier positions, type and tactics are randomised or derived form previous mission results. If its full of scripted missions with god awful narrative elements I will remain uninterested.

denizsi

Arcane
Thanks. I've read all about it here and elsewhere, but I've really forgotten the details later.

Pegultagol

Erudite
My initial impression is that the move to 3D has brought minimal benefits, but could otherwise be a bold step to take the franchise somewhere really, hopefully not to drag it down. I wonder why they opted to show an alpha build of the game? To remind people that the project is still ongoing? And I am wondering if there will be mechanized suits in the game in the end.

Deacdo

Liturgist
Can't imagine how merely being 3D could "drag the franchise down". It is a simple necessity at this point. They simply couldn't do the things JA fans would expect from the next JA game in 2D.

merry andrew

Erudite
I remember playing the JA2 demo over and over again until I got the full version. Hopefully there's a demo for this and it grabs my attention in a similar fashion.

Dmitron

Arbiter
I'm undecided..

I've never played Silent Storm, not familiar with the engine. How much wrestling is their with the camera? Does it get in the way of the gameplay?

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Oh fuck me. Silent Storm meets Jagged Alliance? I'm so fucking there.

Pegultagol said:
I wonder why they opted to show an alpha build of the game? To remind people that the project is still ongoing?
Probably because of the shit storm that was created over the previous aborted attempt. They're trying to show that they know what they're doing.

Pegultagol said:
And I am wondering if there will be mechanized suits in the game in the end.
If there are, I at least hope they're balanced. The problem with Panzerkleins in Silent Storm was that explosions didn't affect them in any way what-so-ever. If they did, it'd at least have been fun blowing them up. Instead, you had to hope you had someone with an Energy Gun and even then, that you could manouver him into position while moving everyone with any other type of weaponry away from the area as quickly as possible because they'd been rendered completely useless.

My preference is they stay the fuck away from Mechs though. Tanks? Yes. Metal walking suits? No.

Mangler

Novice
Perfect. I would have still liked to see the micro management, and overall strategy of JA2, but then again 2/4 Games did not even have that!

Jagged Alliance Deadly Games (no map supposedly)
Jagged Alliance 2 Unfinished Business (very very SMALL map -- basically linear)

I think the SS2 engine was MADE for JA2.

Now if they have multiplayer, it will be flawless.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom