Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interplay to publish FO3, using a different developer

plin

Liturgist
go read the news on NMA
FO3 is to be made.
"Additional news from the stockholder's meeting by Kharn - at 0:32
Comments (8)/Comment me
Since this is news about a number of different subjects than those I posted on, but confirming some of the earlier news and adding some, here's a post from Interplay mod/stockholder zorrelak69 on the Interplay stockholder's forum:

Caen mentioned a handful of projects in developed/to be developed. He mentioned Fallout 3 (PC), Kingpin (PC/Xbox), Fallout: New Action RPG game- not a sequel to FOBOS (Xbox/PS2), Exhaulted (PS2/Xbox), Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance 3, Earthworm Jim. I asked a question about Fallout 3, and Caen said it will be published by Interplay and developed by an external development studio. (I'm guessing Trokia Games/Silver Style)

Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale PC rights and D&D rights traded in for the Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance trademark. I was wrong in my assumption that Interplay regained the rights to BG for the PC and I'm sorry for posting the rumors here on the message board.

400,000 units shipped of Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance and 300,000 units shipped of Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel. Sales for both titles seem strong.

The company made $3.3 million for the quarter and $1.3 million for the year. The company is looking for external sources of financing to help fund development of the upcoming titles they have. Caen said he expects Fiscal Year 2004 to be profitable as well, as long as the appropriate funding is receiving. He mentioned possibly methods will be selling of IPs, and/or debt and equity.

Link: Yahoo business report "

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
It's really incredible to see just how far interplay has fallen from Grace. This shows what happens to those that go against the Will of the Lord. :shock:

Sigurd

Novice
As much as Interplay sucks these days, if they do have Troika develop it, it can't be bad. Arcanum was an amazing game, although not quite as good as Fallout/Fallout 2. If they developed FO3, it would likely be a great game. Remember, some of the Troika team developed the first two games.

Rosh

Erudite
Then you'll also have to take into account thaty Interplay would insist on some "trendy" features, staying true to their marketing dept's amentia, and that Interplay has nothing for cash. Troika would have to buy the rights for Fallout, which would take money away from Troika's other games in development.

Honestly, I'd rather see Troika and SSE, for all their mentionings about Fallout, to go ahead and develop their own post-apocalyptic game settings. That way, they own the rights, they have unlimited creative license (duh), and can push out a sequel without having to deal with Interplay. For tongue-in-cheek value, "Remember Fallout?" could be printed upon the inside flap. :)

Rosh

Erudite
Ausir said:
SSE already has, and it doesn't look very impressive.

Now you know why I tell Carsten Brainstrudel to shove it every time I see him glory-holing Fallout around. :)

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Well, here's the thing. So far, every developer that Interplay has used to do anything with Fallout that's been announced has been royally screwed over by Interplay. Micro Forte was screwed over by Interplay due to promising contract work for additional Fallout Tactics(and other things), followed by a lack of a check and no payment for work already done. Reflexive, who used SPECIAL in Lionheart, was done the same way, and is pretty much toast now. The Fallout Enforcer team met with heavy lay offs and such, including poster boy for the project, Chucky Cuevas. We all know what happenned to the Fallout 3 team. In-house or contract people, doesn't seem to matter - messing with Fallout's body of work seems to carry a lofty price these days.

chrisbeddoes

Erudite
plin said:
FO3 is to be made.

Yes for the gameboy advance and nokia n-cage

More developments .HOT NEWS !!!!!
The Fallout (3) !!! team has been outsourced and is currently working in Falloujah for that postnuclear development feeling .

Chuck will be lead and coordinate the team through telepresense.

Working title is

Fallout 3 : Fanbouyz can be my bi*tch !!!!

:twisted:

Sigurd

Novice
Ausir said:
SSE already has, and it doesn't look very impressive.
What game are you talking about?

Rosh said:
Honestly, I'd rather see Troika and SSE, for all their mentionings about Fallout, to go ahead and develop their own post-apocalyptic game settings. That way, they own the rights, they have unlimited creative license (duh), and can push out a sequel without having to deal with Interplay. For tongue-in-cheek value, "Remember Fallout?" could be printed upon the inside flap.
I'm sure such a game would be great, but it still wouldn't be Fallout. Not only that, but the fact that the Troika people worked on Fallout would keep them from being able to make something really different. From the standpoint of an author (several novels in the works), I can atest that when you have a good idea, you want to keep using it. The whole old/new technology mix is genius. How can they avoid making another game that features both laser pistols and tommy guns? Especially tommy guns. One of my characters almost exclusively used a thompson even though he had high skills in energy weapons and the like.

Josan

Novice
chrisbeddoes said:
So it is over ?

Hope you did not lose too much money in those shares.

Flattered you remembered. And nah, I sold just after they axed IPLY.

Spazmo

Erudite
Interesting... Fallout seems to be cursed in much the same way as the Great Pyramids of Egypt.

Sigurd, Silver Style is currently working on the crap-looking post-apoc RPG The Fall, to be published by--well, nobody so far, probably because Carsten is such a weenie. Admittedly, I think they've got some poor fool to publish them in Germany, but we'll see how far that takes them.

roshan

Arcane
I dont like what Ive heard about the Fall, and their cheap attempt at getting Fallout fans to buy their game by hiring Puuk(?) didnt impress me.

Troika has so far beem a failure.

If any company does Fallout 3 I think it should be Obsidian.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
I think Troika's two "Failures" have been better than anything the folks at Obsidian have done over the last few years. Three cancelled in-house projects, two dungeon crawlers built with someone else's technology so they only had to do the art content and scripting with minimal other development, and two expansion packs to one of those.

Troika's been able to create a game with a custom character system. The BIS folks have merely reused BioWare's implimentation for their dungeon hacks. If you want to say that IWD2 is 3E, sure they changed some things - but a lot of the limits of BioWare's code base were never changed in case you were wondering why that implimentation seems hacked in places. It's because it is a hack in a lot of places.

Troika's made not one, but two graphics engines. BIS has only managed to release Infinity Engine games. BIS licensed Lithtech for TORN and the only engine they made in house will probably never be released in a commercial game - not unless they heavily revamp it because it's technology is getting older with each passing day it's sitting in an archive.

That said, I'm not too thrilled with Bloodlines so far. Something about a first person CRPG with a gothy setting just doesn't inspire me to care much.

Shevek

Arcane
Arcanum was a failure? Its one of my favorite cRPGs. Sure, the combat was so-so and the character dveelopement system was unbalanced but it was a fun game. Hell, ToEE was pretty good too - best combat in a cRPG ever. It should mean something when you deliver the best of something to a genre.

Im sorry, but saying Troika is a failure just doesnt ring true to me. Frankly, Im more interested in Troika's upcoming cRPG prospects (that sci fi stuff weve seen concept art about - Bloodlines doesnt have me very excited either) than anything else on the horizon.

Transcendent One

Liturgist
Damn, what do you expect, people, the guy is from the IPLY fourms :roll: Anyways, I don't think Troika is a failure at all. Arcanum almost rivals Fallout in my book (a view many would disagree with and yet aside from combat and character creation Arcanum (once again just my opinion) is as good if not better than Fallout)... ToEE is not so spectacular (actually quite poor in many ways), though, but it had a lot of restrictions on it like sticking to the old module and the horrible publishing techniques. Plus, in the aspects that Arcanum failed in ToEE was absolutely excellent which shows that Troika actually learns from their errors. Bloodlines doesn't look bad, it doesn't look stunning either. I still wish to play the game when it comes out.

Now, whether Obsidian is a failure or not I think is subjective, because we estimate their quality based on what some members have done at Black Isle, and yet as "Obsidian" they have yet to prove their quality/lack of quality. I'd rather wait until after KotOR2 (or whatever they are making) and then judge.

Sigurd

Novice
Greyhawk said:
Bloodlines doesn't look bad, it doesn't look stunning either.
It doesn't look stunning? That's exactly what it looks like to me. The graphics are amazing, and the gameplay could be great. I love the setting, but that's because I'm a vampire fan anyway (not the PNP game, just the lore), and the ability to feed and use other vampiric powers as well as weapons makes me happy.

roshan

Arcane
Troikas two games were both failures. Arcanum had good roleplaying, but horrible character generation, graphics, combat and was severely buggy. TOEE had horrible story, roleplaying and music and only succeeded in graphics and combat and was also severely buggy.

Both games were failures and did not meet any of the expectations that gamers had for them. Troika is a failure when it comes to making rpgs.

Astromarine

Erudite
if you had any expectation for ToEE besides "great dungeon crawl" then you are a, as we like to say here, COMPLETE FUCKING MORON

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom