Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cain on Games - Tim Cain's new YouTube channel

Habichtswalder

Literate
A simulated world but everytime you die, your role and perspective changes. Maybe you were a bandit and objective was to become rich, but your next character is a hero and his objective is to save the princess. A totally different perspective but in the same world.
Weird West actually is fairly-well done as a very rough concept for this.

What I think would really be a dream game is seeing that concept done in a Morrowind-Style open world.
Power-Creep really kills a lot of the open-world games for me, but if you could adventure through the same open-world in multiple viewpoints, would allow a focus more on role-playing and less on becoming a jack-of-all trades power god.

Demon Lord Reincarnation Romanus Surt described a similar open-world idea:
Each quest is small in scope, which means you can play the game for a couple of hours, reach a logical conclusion, put it aside, then come back a few weeks later and continue your journey. The goal is to experiment with longevity while respecting the players' time.

Think library section full of short stories where you can pick one, have a burst of enjoyment, then come back for more, whenever you like.
Wasn't aware of the Weird West concept. Thanks for the suggestion (even though I don't like the scenario).

I'd agree with your idea that said concept would be great in a Open World. I also think it could pay off financially. It's a shame no one tried a similar concept yet. I believe there is stuff like Medieval Dynasty where you continue to play as your own son after your character dies but that's not a real RPG with quests (as far as I know). You also keep playing the same family so it's not really a new perspective /short story.

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
lmao, I told ya'll his sensitivity about his age is just how aging out queers roll, in just two minutes he manages to get prickly about being called experienced and try to play it off jokingly

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
It's interesting that they pick out that one model of a vault dweller in the original Fallout and say it looks like the character from the TV show. Now tell me, how many fat people do you see in that screenshot in that video's thumbnail?

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Works with an art director he trusts since he doesn't know art and is color-blind.

And then we have the Outer Worlds.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Anyway, not sure what we are currently complaining about. Just feels like talking about the false comparison.
The point of that thumbnail is to show that they made Lucy look like a vault dweller sprite from the original game. Then you look at everyone else they cast to be a vault dweller in Vault 33, and you realize that almost none of the rest of them look like the vault dweller sprites from Fallout. It comes off more of a coincidence than something they actively attempted to do. One out of several dozens looks like a sprite from the original game.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Tim confirming that he doesn't have much influence on the direction of The Outer Worlds 2. It's all on Adler (and his bosses).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom