Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon's Dogma II is snubbed by Codex

Is the prophesy true?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

scytheavatar

Scholar
Is Dragon's Dogma II the prophesied Soulsborne killer, or will FromSoftware continue to reign until the end of time?
I believe Dragon's Dogma is a more ambitious franchise in comparison and it requires more time to develop it (similar to projects such as Elder Scrolls and The Witcher)

Dragon's Dogma 2 is basically Dragon's Dogma 1.5....... the jump from Dark Souls 1 to 2 seems to be bigger to me. I don't get the feeling that Itsuno and Capcom feels the need to push the DD franchise to new heights, they are happy with incremental changes.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
Is Dragon's Dogma II the prophesied Soulsborne killer, or will FromSoftware continue to reign until the end of time?
I believe Dragon's Dogma is a more ambitious franchise in comparison and it requires more time to develop it (similar to projects such as Elder Scrolls and The Witcher)

Dragon's Dogma 2 is basically Dragon's Dogma 1.5....... the jump from Dark Souls 1 to 2 seems to be bigger to me. I don't get the feeling that Itsuno and Capcom feels the need to push the DD franchise to new heights, they are happy with incremental changes.
That's selling it short based on some of the stuff I've seen. Granted I haven't seen alot because I'm trying to avoid spoilers. I wish I never seen the Sphinx video. That would have been a fantastic discovery going in blind. I'm not watching anything else or playing any demos.

ADL

Prophet
I know Lords of the Fallen 2023 wasn't received too well and there were some nitpicks about Demon's Souls remake but overall I liked them. Showcased what a Souls game could be on better technology with better animations and networking. Meanwhile Lies of P was the best Soulslike since Bloodborne. Their competitors are getting better and better and I think it's only a matter of time until someone with deep pockets finances something comparable to Elden Ring in scale.

Difficult to see how Fromsoft will compete as long as they're stuck on their shit ass engine and designing awful bosses with even more terrible hit boxes. I've been saying this for years but From Software really is the Japanese Bethesda; but unlike Bethesda, they don't have a monopoly on their style of game.

Anyways, to answer the thread's question, Dragon's Dogma was always superior to Souls but I don't think they really give a shit. They have Kadokawa money now and they're top of the world winning GOTY and their DLC is hyped more than almost every other game I can think of.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
I've been saying this for years but From Software really is the Japanese Bethesda; but unlike Bethesda, they don't have a monopoly on their style of game..
What a dumbass take. Bethesda doesn't excel at anything. If they have their own unique formula, they're not good at it. FromSoft has their shit locked down tight and they have no competitor... yet. You have everything ass-backwards.

Meanwhile Lies of P was the best Soulslike since Bloodborne.

I just played through that crap and it almost made Dark Souls III look good to me. I don't get why people salivate over that game. It has some of the most annoying bosses I've ever seen and combat that could have used a good deal of polish. And don't even get me started on having to repair your weapon in the middle of the fight while boss is going full bullshit mode on you.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
but Dark Souls was an instant household name in the states
No
The game was a major success, but not a smash hit with immediate effects on the industry
Even by DS2, From were still AA
From being seen as the AAA company they are today, I would say that very much started with Bloodborne, where they got Sony's spotlight and where being hailed every as the "first true next-gen exclusive experience"

REhorror

Educated
Maybe, probably.

Anyway, I'm kind of a financial instability myself, so just waiting it out for Dogma 2.

Cohesion

Liturgist
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Some might speculate that pushing Elden Ring's expansion all the way into June is a defensive maneuver, perhaps not one made out of fear but caution. It's been long fabled that one day, a lone warrior will emerge from the darkness and defeat the mighty FromSoftware. One cannot wear the crown forever. Could it be possible? Is Dragon's Dogma II the prophesied Soulsborne killer, or will FromSoftware continue to reign until the end of time?
sup, SDG?

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
I have casted my vote. As much as I believe DD2 will go on to do great things and become an all-time classic much like the original, FS is simply too big at this point. With at least 5 masterpieces under their belt (some would argue more) and inventing an entirely new popular subgenre all on their own, they are immortal at this point.

REhorror

Educated
I know Lords of the Fallen 2023 wasn't received too well and there were some nitpicks about Demon's Souls remake but overall I liked them. Showcased what a Souls game could be on better technology with better animations and networking. Meanwhile Lies of P was the best Soulslike since Bloodborne. Their competitors are getting better and better and I think it's only a matter of time until someone with deep pockets finances something comparable to Elden Ring in scale.

Difficult to see how Fromsoft will compete as long as they're stuck on their shit ass engine and designing awful bosses with even more terrible hit boxes. I've been saying this for years but From Software really is the Japanese Bethesda; but unlike Bethesda, they don't have a monopoly on their style of game.

Anyways, to answer the thread's question, Dragon's Dogma was always superior to Souls but I don't think they really give a shit. They have Kadokawa money now and they're top of the world winning GOTY and their DLC is hyped more than almost every other game I can think of.
It's an insult to compare From to Beth.
Their games actually have visions, even when they cater to the mass.

I'll take their own old ass Phys engine over Unreal any days of the week. That's their charm.

Armored Core 6 runs incredibly well and very well-optimised on PC too.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
I wish I finished AC6. That will be a end of the year project for me while all the flopbusters come out. The first half of 2024 is solid af.

REhorror

Educated
I wish I finished AC6. That will be a end of the year project for me while all the flopbusters come out. The first half of 2024 is solid af.
Would be kinda strange if you finish ER but not AC6?

AC6 is a much tighter and replayable game.

It makes me want the new Ace Combat too, and pronto!

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat

I finished Elden Ring a long time ago. I was into AC6 but life shit got in the way and I didn't pick it back up. Rest assured it's at the top of my backlog.

REhorror

Educated

I finished Elden Ring a long time ago. I was into AC6 but life shit got in the way and I didn't pick it back up. Rest assured it's at the top of my backlog.
Nice to know, fren. Kino game.

Machocruz

Arcane
DD2 is its own thing. People aren't going to stop buying FS games even if DD2 does Rockstar numbers. There is room for multiple big fantasy action-rpgs, a lot of game addicts out there who buy every hyped title, every time. But From delaying ER DLC because of DD would be a sign of prudence rather than fear, why leave any chance of another game taking away the sale of even one copy. It just makes sense.

Spike

Educated
Itsuno didn't even want to do DD2, he wants to do Power Stone 2. This game was clearly part of the deal to let him pursue that. DD is going to get handed off to some interns in the future and Itsuno is going to retire after Power Stone 2 releases and nobody gives a shit because it's a quirky obscure fighting game whose primary appeal was being 3D before that was common.
He literally said he wanted to do DD2 right after DMC 5...

Hell Swarm

Educated
Does any one else remember The World Ends With You 2? A niche fanbased hyped up a game for years, wouldn't shut up about it and finally got a sequel made. It sold very poorly and now the franchise is dead. Didn't No More Heroes have the same thing happen? Dragon's Dogma is in the right genre to do well now but it's still a niche title. The original is over hyped and frankly quite low quality even for it's era.

Dark souls was when the souls games went main stream. Demon's souls was a success but it was released as a niche weeb title on par with Gal Gun or Tokyo Trip. Dark souls got huge amounts of media attention and the demo won over a lot of people. Once it released it got a decent following on console but exploded when the DLC version was released on PC. The PC release is when the series goes from niche title with a growing fanbase to a cultural pheromone.

Dark souls sold 10 million copies 3 mil was console and 6 mil was on Steam. The fanbase doubled with the PC release. 2 and then 3 added about 2.5 mil to the total each game. Creeping up to 15 mil and staying above 10 even with Sekiro and Bloodborne. When Elden ring sells 20 mil it's not a huge leap from Dark souls 3's 15 mil. It's an increase but it's the trajectory we could see coming for the past decade. From games sell very well and do especially well with Western Steam gamers.

Shinji

Savant
Dragon's Dogma is in the right genre to do well now but it's still a niche title. The original is over hyped and frankly quite low quality even for it's era.
I would hardly call a game that has sold over 8.4 million copies a "niche" title.

If anything, Dragon's Dogma was heavily underhyped for being released a few months after Skyrim.
Although underdeveloped, its highs were above any other Action RPG of the era, maybe even to this day.

Hell Swarm

Educated
Dragon's Dogma is in the right genre to do well now but it's still a niche title. The original is over hyped and frankly quite low quality even for it's era.
I would hardly call a game that has sold over 8.4 million copies a "niche" title.

If anything, Dragon's Dogma was heavily underhyped for being released a few months after Skyrim.
Although underdeveloped, its highs were above any other Action RPG of the era, maybe even to this day.
It sold 1.5 Million on console. The other 6 mill came from the more recent PC release. And the entire series has sold less than Lost Planet did and Capcom cancelled that series for selling 8 mil when Dogma had only sold 1.5. Japan is increasingly relying on re-releasing old games on Steam to make up income they're burning on lousy games.

Odoryuk

Educated
We will know if FS feared Dragon's Dogma 2 (or any other game for that matter) if they will include microtransactions in their next release. So far, most likely, they don't care about other games.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Given that the game is flop, I think it's safe to say From has little to fear from Capcom's microtransactions scam game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom