Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dread Delusion - Morrowind-like retro open world action RPG

Jinn

Arcane
So does this not suck? Is it something to look forward to?

Jinn

Arcane
It's fun if what you want is a PSX-era collectathon masquerading as a Lovecraftian RPG. I wouldn't suggest buying it at full price though.
Yeah, watching some more recent gameplay makes it clear this isn't an RPG, but rather an action-adventure with RPG elements. I'm fine with that and could have fun with it, especially going in without the expectation of it being a real RPG.

The huge emphasis on exploration is the biggest draw for me, with the biggest detractors being an apparent lack of overall challenge. I wonder if that'll change in v1.0?

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's fun if what you want is a PSX-era collectathon masquerading as a Lovecraftian RPG. I wouldn't suggest buying it at full price though.
Yeah, watching some more recent gameplay makes it clear this isn't an RPG, but rather an action-adventure with RPG elements. I'm fine with that and could have fun with it, especially going in without the expectation of it being a real RPG.

The huge emphasis on exploration is the biggest draw for me, with the biggest detractors being an apparent lack of overall challenge. I wonder if that'll change in v1.0?
according to the dev the full release has 2 (?) more tiers of weapons and 3 more tiers of enemies (5 in total) and combat/ai has been further re-worked. He also states there has been balances/changes to the stats and everything else so I wouldn't dismiss it as not being "RPG-enough" until reviews of the full release are out.. the dev said the 1.0 release will not be compatible with old saves due to how much has changed

1715657466423.png

1715657650857.png

Jinn

Arcane
according to the dev the full release has 2 (?) more tiers of weapons and 3 more tiers of enemies (5 in total) and combat/ai has been further re-worked. He also states there has been balances/changes to the stats and everything else so I wouldn't dismiss it as not being "RPG-enough" until reviews of the full release are out.. the dev said the 1.0 release will not be compatible with old saves due to how much has changed
Good to know! Interested to see impressions of v1.0.

Jinn

Arcane
fills me with dread someone's delusional enough to consider a morrowind ripoff fun
It's really not a Morrowind ripoff at all. There's hardly any similarity in terms of actual gameplay and mechanics.

I wish it was more of a Morrowind ripoff myself, though.

d1nolore

Savant
Looks pretty trippy but I’m not really into exploration games or fantasy action games. Can anyone confirm it’s a RPG, and worthwhile?

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
haven't started yet but we need to determine what exactly is an rpg in order to answer that.. it has stats, it has loot, it has leveling, it has quests with choices and consequences, it has factions... there seems to be an argument whether it's more like oblivion or more like arx fatalis from what I've read... game is said to be 10 hours if you just focus on the main quest and about 25-30 if you do all the side quests as well.. probably will start it up in a couple hours

Hobo Elf

Arcane
It wasn't an RPG last time I played it, which was a year two years ago. It's more of an atmospheric adventure collectathon game with some very light action elements. It had a few quests that were well designed and written but most of the game felt like it was trying to be weird for weirdness sake. I'll give it an honest try now that it's fully launched but at the time it didn't impress me. All style and no substance and very little interaction with the game world. The stat system mostly came down to upgrading guile to open mechanical locks and wisdom to open magical locks because most delusions (xp) were hidden behind locked doors that needed one of these stats to open. But as I warned this was the state of the game a year ago and it could be a different game now.

Edit: It was actually two years ago since I played the game not one. That's even more time for the game to cook into something potentially better.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
it's an RPG because the dev said so
t.infinitron
Infinitron is only partly responsible for the Codex policy that, in Current Year, any game is an RPG if it identifies as one.

"Dread Delusion is an open world RPG brimming with strange places and dark perils. Carve your own path through the flying continents of a shattered land. Discover curious towns, unearth occult secrets, master powerful magic - and change the world through your choices."
Title: Dread Delusion
Genre: Action, Adventure, Indie, RPG
Developer: Lovely Hellplace
Publisher: DreadXP
Release Date: May 14, 2024
Early Access Release Date: Jun 15, 2022

PlayerEmers

Novice
started playing right now

clocked about 2 hours for now, will play more ofc but a few initial remarks:

-when starting the game, you can pick 3 background moments of your life that gives you some attributes and stats

-you increase stats with items (usable or equipable) and attributes.

-You spend delusions (gained by collecting glimmers of delusion while exploring or completing quests) to increase attributes (which will increase stats based on those attributes)

-the game has some sort of reputation/faction system. dont know how complex it is, I just see that its there

I cant say if the game will give me more systems like traits, companions and other stuff that you might expect from modern RPGs.

So what I can say for now is that feels like Northern Journey : an atmospheric adventure exploration game. But unlike Northern Journey, Dread Delusion has some RPG elements and actual characters and hard lore that you can learn more.

A few more things:

-it doesnt look like a hard game at all, so like some reviews on the game page are saying: its more about exploration and losing yourself on the world and lore

-im playing on the steam deck so this might be a steam deck thing: the game is kinda demanding. Im hitting 80°C on GPU and the frame rate can tank to 35~ fps when im looking to some directions. it is as demanding (or maybe even more) than playing kingdom come on the steam deck. jank and spagetthi coding memes.

-im liking the visuals but im fiding the sound and music aspect kinda eh... serviceable i guess (im a huge audio and music guy so you might not care at all)

again, this is after playing for just a couple of hours, things might change

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom