Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Flint: Treasure of Oblivion - isometric pirate RPG by French developer Savage Level - coming Q4 2024

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

https://af.gog.com/game/flint_the_treasure_of_oblivion?as=1649904300

Play a tactical-rpg set in a pirate world with a strong, original narrative.

Assisted by his friend Billy Bones and his crew, Captain Flint sets sail for a mysterious treasure. If the call of the unknown galvanizes him, he doesn’t yet suspect this adventure will set him free.

Dive into the world of piracy bordering on fantasy of Flint: Treasure of Oblivion. Immerse yourself into a rich well-documented and exciting universe thanks to comic-book styled narration and tactical turn-based combat.

BANDEAU-1-UK-BL.png

01_-_Tactical.gif

A good preparation is key: Choose your crew members with unique abilities, obtain new skills, improve your dices.
During the tactical phases, use cards to trigger skills and attributes, and influence the fight with dice throws.

BANDEAU-2-UK-BL.png

02_-_Comics.gif

Enjoy a story that, beyond the usual comic tropes (onomatopoeia, speech bubbles), offers the player original and dynamic comic book panels.

BANDEAU-3-UK-BL.png

03_-_Exploration.gif

Discover a magnificent world, from the french city of Saint-Malo to the exotic landscapes of central America. Visit diverse environments (cities, camps, jungle, caves…) using the power of the Unreal Engine 5.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
There are some previews: https://www.pcgamer.com/games/rpg/flint-treasure-of-oblivion-announcement/

Upcoming pirate RPG wants to break from cliché and show 'what piracy really was'​

Flint: Treasure of Oblivion promises big tactical battles and an un-Hollywood-like vision of pirates.

Golden age pirates: murderous villains or freedom fighters? It's the latter view that French studio Savage Level hopes to express with its first game, a tactical RPG that stars Captain Flint, the fictional pirate whose buried treasure is sought after in Robert Louis Stevenson's Treasure Island.

"This game gives us the possibility of informing the general public about what piracy really was, often portrayed in a caricatured and wrong way," says the studio, which itself was inspired by pirates according to co-founder Maxime Josse, who created the company with brother Aurélien.

Well, aspects of pirates, at least. "Real pirates"—not corsairs, or Hollywood's vision of them—were "freedom seekers" who took care of their crewmates, Maxime told me in a conversation at GDC a couple weeks ago. He wants Savage Level to be an inclusive studio where everyone feels ownership of the work they're doing, and where game development newcomers can gain experience under veteran leadership. Thinking of the studio like a band of pirates seeking financial freedom together while doing what they love "works pretty well," Maxime said, as long as you set aside the stuff about traitors and bloody battles.

That stuff is left to the game, which has a somewhat unique way of telling its story: As you explore Flint's top-down environments, comic book panels occasionally pop up to bring dialogue and action into the scene. The whole tale will be told in this illustrated way, without voice acting.

"Flint: Treasure of Oblivion is the culmination of a rethinking process aimed at advancing the clichés of narration in videogames," say the Josse brothers. "With this title, we are proposing an original way of telling stories through the medium of comic book and take the opportunity to highlight the Franco-Belgian comics that have been making us dream since our childhood."

The combat is turn-based and inspired by tabletop roleplaying—it simulates dice rolls—and the most interesting thing I learned about it at GDC was that fights can get big. Like, "15 vs 20," game director Johan Spielmann told me.

Characters will be grouped together, so "you won't just have 15 little little guys to play on the field," explained production director Saïda Mirzoeva, but I like the idea that you're gathering a real pirate force, not just a typical D&D adventuring party.

The weapons and abilities will all be grounded in pirate reality—no magic—and leveling also involves pirate logic. Experience doesn't come from killing, but from collecting gold pieces. You can distribute gold pieces to your crew to level them up, but you might want to hold some back to purchase items, or to save for future crew members.

"As in real piracy, when do you share the wages with your crew?" asked Spielmann. "That will be really interesting, and merge [gameplay] with the story and narrative."

Work on Flint began in 2022, and it's set to release on PC and console in 2024—an impressive pace relative to the five-plus year projects we see so often today. There's no release date, but expect it near the end of the year. You can wishlist Flint on Steam for future reference.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

https://www.ign.com/articles/flint-...ew-bringing-the-pirate-life-to-a-tactical-rpg

Flint: Treasure of Oblivion First-Look Preview: Bringing the Pirate Life to a Tactical RPG​

This new pirate CRPG embraces life on the high seas in pursuit of treasure.​

Even with Sea of Thieves and Skull and Bones out there, the pirate setting for video games still feels woefully underutilized. But now, another game aims to blend the big stakes and dangers on the high-seas conceit with a narrative-driven tactical RPG framework. The upcoming Flint: Treasure of Oblivion looks to bring that pirate fantasy to life in an interesting new way by leaning into the mystique and intrigue of living life on the high seas.

In this first look at the upcoming CRPG, I got to see Flint's approach to a swashbuckling tactical RPG in action. It's all about building up a trustworthy crew and exploring the port towns and dangerous waters during the rebellious golden age of pirates.

As the debut game from developer Savage Level, Flint: Treasure of Oblivion is inspired by Robert Louis Stevenson's classic adventure novel Treasure Island, a story focusing on pirates in search of a lost treasure trove left behind by the infamous Captain Flint. In this tactical RPG, we follow the exploits of Captain Flint, his shipmate Billy Bones, and a larger crew of pirates as they search for glory and tons of loot during a booming and dangerous period of piracy.

Along with the many tavern and back alley brawls the crew will get into, Captain Flint will also run into a swath of conflicts with rival pirates in temples and on the open waters, all leading up to the discovery of a mysterious treasure cache that sets the stage for the original novel.

According to the developers in our preview, Flint leans heavily into the life of being a pirate and managing a crew, with some elements of dark fantasy seeping in as the adventure progresses. Speaking with production director Saïda Mirzoeva, she stated that the story aims to be historically accurate to the era and the original novel while leaning into the freeform experience of a tactical RPG.

Flint follows that tried and true CRPG formula, with you exploring the world from an isometric view to engage in combat and social interactions with various characters throughout the game. Focusing more on a stylized, "double-AA" adventure instead of the sprawling scope of games like Baldur's Gate 3 or Warhammer 40K Rogue Trader, the pirate CRPG features a mix of scripted story encounters with choice-driven moments, all presented in a comic book-style adventure as Flint's ragtag crew of pirates grows their influence.

As you explore more of Flint's world, you'll expand your crew of pirates, all carrying unique skills and archetypes to experiment with. Your crew choices will be tested in battle, which plays out in turn-based combat, with you commanding the crew's movement and actions on a hex-tile battlefield. The success of your actions to trade steel or fire your flintlock pistols at your opponents is determined by the luck of the dice, with a success= ful roll resulting in connecting hits or critical damage but a bad roll resulting in a miss.

Flint's take on combat carries many of the familiar ideas and designs from other CRPGs in the current boom for the genre, but the pirate mystique adds a lot of charm and intrigue, which makes Flint's take on a tactical RPG feel unique. One attractive trait that I wish we got to see more of was the crew synergies. By pairing crew members with similar or complementing archetypes, you can power up your skills in battle – turning your pirate crew into more of an imposing force.

Another area that applies pirate logic to the role-playing experience is in how you power up your crew. In Flint, loot is a monetary an=d experience resource, and you'll have to decide whether to buy items or give money to your crew to level them up and augment their skills. While most RPGs generally give you upgrades by taking out enemies, Flint: Treasure of Oblivion focuses more on the acquisition of loot by any means, which can be found from social engagements and other activities – and in some cases, talking your way out of combat can also net you loot as well.

Living out a pirate's life during the golden age within a CRPG is such a cool concept, and so far, Flint: Treasure of Oblivion shows off some clever ways of marrying the weird and seafaring pirate lifestyle with a role-playing game. While I wish I could have gotten to see more of its more significant ideas about exploring the high seas with its crew, the golden age of pirates is a prosperous era for a game to explore, and Flint: Treasure of Oblivion has the makings of a compelling setting to navigate in a role-playing game.

Litmanen

Educated
I already love (almost) everything about this game.

I don't like, anyway, the comic book dialogues. They are annoying, to be honest.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I will give this two MASSIVE pluses

one for hex-based combat, the other for a mature artstyle (reminiscent of classic adventure comics.. so rare nowadays)

-100000 for trailer music tho, I hope that cringe is not in the game

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
oh yeah the UI is pretty stylish too, I like it

Dont even like pirates as a setting, but this game could be a breath of fresh air

"what piracy really was"

oi mate, u av that poyrosee loicense in there blad??
oi why u getting rude for blad
BOP!
dats what u get for actin silly blad
POOSEE'OL!

Ryzer

Arcane
Pirate games are cursed, also Oblivion as a title is a double curse.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Can't be worse than Skull & Bones.

But only because literally nothing can.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
https://steamcommunity.com/games/2366130/announcements/detail/4212631128531806346

☠️ What challenge awaits you as a pirate captain in Flint: Treasure of Oblivion?
This year, players will be able to dive into Flint: Treasure of Oblivion, an all-new tactical RPG designed by Savage Level and published by Microids.

Here, we tell you about the location, the period and the goal of this epic pirate adventure!

Where and when does Flint: Treasure of Oblivion take place?
To learn about the historical and geographical setting of Flint: Treasure of Oblivion, we reached out to Savage Level.

Maxime Josse, the French studio’s CEO sets the scene: “The game takes place in 1715. These were tough times for the people, who faced widespread disease and insecurity. At the same time, the world’s great powers were at war, fighting over the Caribbean among other places. For the pirates on the fringes, this was a golden age! They bowed to no governments and made their own laws. At sea, life was even tougher, but there was also plenty of comradeship and solidarity.

ce2407208d716dd40260abb952bc7dcfbc70254b.png

Immersing themselves in this fascinating period, players will set sail for several destinations, such as the French town of Saint-Malo, the Caribbean islands, and the deep jungles of Central America.

We wanted to create a world that’s as authentic as possible,” the creative director, Aurélien Josse, told us, “because, like many players out there, we are fans of the pirate world. So we studied maps of Saint-Malo during this period, and went to the Caribbean to take photographs. We read lots of encyclopedias and historical novels, and spoke with researches specialized in piracy.

Savage Level’s aim is to immerse you in a believable eighteenth-century environment, with its buildings, clothing and everyday life.

8e6377212dc177d8bbaeb1e23b88318edb604e72.png

Who is the main character and what is his goal?
Now you have an idea of the setting for your adventure in Flint: Treasure of Oblivion; but who will you play as, and what will you set out to accomplish in this tactical RPG? Aurélien revealed that “players will step into the boots of James Flint, an English pirate from the novel Treasure Island. Here, we explore his past, his youth. As shown in the first trailer, Captain Flint begins his adventure stranded at sea after his ship has been sunk. A warship picks him up however and takes him to Saint-Malo. This is where our hero will learn of the existence of a huge treasure trove, beyond imagination.

f59bff3c043dbddee9c7b9d4b913d32bddf318b2.png

For Flint, the call of adventure and riches is irresistible. So he leaves Saint-Malo – where there is a bounty on his head – to recruit a new crew and make his way to the New World.

It will be no easy journey, as the French, English and Spanish armies have all declared war against pirates! What’s more, captains always face difficult choices to make, and mutiny is a constant threat.

At first, it appears to be nothing more than a treasure hunt... But a whole lot more lies in wait,” Maxime told us. “Firstly, on a personal level, James Flint will learn much about himself as the adventure progresses. But also, as in any good pirate story, there will be elements of the supernatural. We won’t say any more than that; you’ll have to play the game to find out!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
There was a Making Of video the other week:

Greetings, pirates!

Discover today the first episode of our Making-of series on Flint: Treasure of Oblivion. Today, Aurélien Josse (Creative Director), Maxime Josse (CEO) and Johan Spielmann (Game Director) tell us about the pirate universe we'll be immersing ourselves in when we play Flint: Treasure of Oblivion.

Embark with Captain Flint and his crew for an adventure across the seas in Flint - Treasure of Oblivion, coming on PC, PlayStation 5, and Xbox Series X|S in 2024.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom