Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Last Epoch - time travel action-RPG

ADL

Prophet
12.5K 24 hour peak two months into a three month cycle before the first league cycle has happened is a lot better than I expected. It's a buy2play game, they'll be back for the next league and if it's good they'll stick around a little longer each time.

It's a seasonal game competing directly against Path of Exile' ten years worth of endgame mechanics. I'm not sure if even Path of Exile 2 can compete against Path of Exile 1 even with plans to port some of those mechanics over for launch.

The content ranges from mediocre to decent but the systems that drew players in (skills, crafting, trade factions) are arguably some of the best in the genre. Even if it were a dead game, which it isn't, it's already influenced Path of Exile for the better (trade) and it has even opened up some discussions about enhancing the SSF experience.

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet
Systems are great, campaign is bad. Overall had a lot of fun. Will play more at some point. Its not a dead game tbh.
Kinda silly to compare it to Path of Exile

abija

Prophet
How did you get to poe from the class or skill trees in LE ?

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
when a game is 7/10 on Steam (plus @thesheeep likes it so much) I become highly skeptical
Well, people are being idiots about parts of the game.
If you seriously compare end-game content of a game that just fucking released vs a game that has been released for what, 10 years? ... Yeah, I question your judgement.
Likewise, the team size of 11th hour is 50, while GGG has something like 130-200 (numbers I found vary). No shit the development speed will be slower :lol:

Basically, if you'll enjoy LE or PoE more is down to what you want out of such a game:
Do you want to restart over and over and over with new build and character ideas, leveling them up and actually enjoying the leveling process? Last Epoch, hands down.
Do you want to grind end-game? PoE, for now. Maybe LE in a few years, who knows.

I've never once cared about end-game in these games. They bore the shit out of me. Hours and hours and hours, for like single-digit improvements in damage output for a build in a video game? Something is wrong with people who like that shit :lol:

PoE has its skill gem system, and that is cool, but it also limits your build options before end game so much. It's just not fun in PoE to start a new character from scratch.
LE completely leaves PoE in the dust when it comes to that.

LE's biggest issues right now are:
  • The first playthrough is a great tutorial of the mechanics, but there should be something harder for subsequent characters. The game becomes too easy too quick.
  • There are obviously bugs and the multiplayer lag is really quite wonky. I'd NOT recommend anyone trying to hardcore this unless you are fine losing characters to lag. Don't think I will for a long while.
  • The story that just ends in the middle of being told :lol: Sure, you stop caring about the story after a few runs, but still, it is noticeably jarring.
  • A lack of variety in monster types, maps, items and end-game.
I find the current score of the game (77% right now) quite fitting.
The best parts of the game are the best of the genre, while the bad parts are obviously there and need to be dealt with.
However, I see all the issues of the game as very solveable, especially the variety ones - with time.

Personally, I'm a bit burnt out on it after 80h or so and am taking a break, but can't wait to get back into it after some more patches.
In comparison, I have 140h in PoE in all its time and no intention of ever coming back.
There's no doubt in my mind I'll end up with way more than 140h in LE eventually.

Both games are great, but for my (and many others, apparently) playstyle, LE is just much more suitable.
Which is great, there's more than enough space for different kinds of ARPGs (that aren't crap like D3, no idea about D4).

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Do you want to restart over and over and over with new build and character ideas, leveling them up and actually enjoying the leveling process? Last Epoch, hands down.
I don't know which game you've been playing, but this is not LE. The campaign is so tedious due to how easy it is, you'll never want to play it again, let alone enjoy it over and over. And this is not me being obtuse, one of my favorite genres is roguelikes, I never tire of dying repeatedly in ToME f.e and doing the content again even with the same build. You won't feel a modicum of challenge until well into the high corruption levels in monoliths and I played on hardcore blind.

ArchAngel

Arcane
when a game is 7/10 on Steam (plus @thesheeep likes it so much) I become highly skeptical
Well, people are being idiots about parts of the game.
If you seriously compare end-game content of a game that just fucking released vs a game that has been released for what, 10 years? ... Yeah, I question your judgement.
Likewise, the team size of 11th hour is 50, while GGG has something like 130-200 (numbers I found vary). No shit the development speed will be slower :lol:

Basically, if you'll enjoy LE or PoE more is down to what you want out of such a game:
Do you want to grind end-game? PoE, for now. Maybe LE in a few years, who knows.

I've never once cared about end-game in these games. They bore the shit out of me. Hours and hours and hours, for like single-digit improvements in damage output for a build in a video game? Something is wrong with people who like that shit :lol:

PoE has its skill gem system, and that is cool, but it also limits your build options before end game so much. It's just not fun in PoE to start a new character from scratch.
LE completely leaves PoE in the dust when it comes to that.

LE's biggest issues right now are:
  • The first playthrough is a great tutorial of the mechanics, but there should be something harder for subsequent characters. The game becomes too easy too quick.
  • There are obviously bugs and the multiplayer lag is really quite wonky. I'd NOT recommend anyone trying to hardcore this unless you are fine losing characters to lag. Don't think I will for a long while.
  • The story that just ends in the middle of being told :lol: Sure, you stop caring about the story after a few runs, but still, it is noticeably jarring.
  • A lack of variety in monster types, maps, items and end-game.
I find the current score of the game (77% right now) quite fitting.
The best parts of the game are the best of the genre, while the bad parts are obviously there and need to be dealt with.
However, I see all the issues of the game as very solveable, especially the variety ones - with time.

Personally, I'm a bit burnt out on it after 80h or so and am taking a break, but can't wait to get back into it after some more patches.
In comparison, I have 140h in PoE in all its time and no intention of ever coming back.
There's no doubt in my mind I'll end up with way more than 140h in LE eventually.

Both games are great, but for my (and many others, apparently) playstyle, LE is just much more suitable.
Which is great, there's more than enough space for different kinds of ARPGs (that aren't crap like D3, no idea about D4).
This is a good summary except for me it was 70% game, not 77%. 70% is play once if I am bored and never touch again.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Do you want to restart over and over and over with new build and character ideas, leveling them up and actually enjoying the leveling process? Last Epoch, hands down

I hope you are right. Only ToME did this for me (instant reruns I mean), not even Diablo II

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't know which game you've been playing, but this is not LE. The campaign is so tedious due to how easy it is, you'll never want to play it again, let alone enjoy it over and over.
As I wrote, the game is too easy during campaign. And gets harder too late after the story.
It's just not as much of an issue to me - I do not play these games to challenge myself with the action parts, glued to the screen and focused as if I was playing Dark Souls in dire need of the next bonfire. Usually, I watch something while playing these games, focusing more during the build-planning steps.
But yeah, I do hope they increase the difficulty a notch or offer a harder mode for story or something like that. Might never happen, though, as from what I've read they are focusing more on end-game and finishing the story. Who knows.

I hope you are right. Only ToME did this for me (instant reruns I mean), not even Diablo II
I did three playthroughs after each other, then started a fourth one and noticed I should take a break.
It's definitely comparable to ToME in that even as you level your character, you already notice several things you could do different within that class to get a very different build.

This is a good summary except for me it was 70% game, not 77%. 70% is play once if I am bored and never touch again.
I'd only get that if the only thing you care about is end-game.
Because the classes are so wildly different (at least the ones that I played, which is all except Rogue) that I don't see how anyone who enjoyed the game at all could play through the game only once. At the very least, I'd want to try out every class.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I don't know which game you've been playing, but this is not LE. The campaign is so tedious due to how easy it is, you'll never want to play it again, let alone enjoy it over and over.
As I wrote, the game is too easy during campaign. And gets harder too late after the story.
It's just not as much of an issue to me - I do not play these games to challenge myself with the action parts, glued to the screen and focused as if I was playing Dark Souls in dire need of the next bonfire. Usually, I watch something while playing these games, focusing more during the build-planning steps.
But yeah, I do hope they increase the difficulty a notch or offer a harder mode for story or something like that. Might never happen, though, as from what I've read they are focusing more on end-game and finishing the story. Who knows.

I did three playthroughs after each other, then started a fourth one and noticed I should take a break.
It's definitely comparable to ToME in that even as you level your character, you already notice several things you could do different within that class to get a very different build.

I'd only get that if the only thing you care about is end-game.
Because the classes are so wildly different (at least the ones that I played, which is all except Rogue) that I don't see how anyone who enjoyed the game at all could play through the game only once. At the very least, I'd want to try out every class.
Gameplay, levels and combat was boring. No point trying other classes and going through same boring shit.

somerandomdude

Learned
EHG would be better off making the loot self-found with no trading. Every time there's an economy in a game, you got bots and RMTers taking advantage of the system, and unless you are willing to use a huge amount of resources to address this problem, you're better off not having an economy at all in a game. The economy, and problems as a result, whether it's hyper inflation, botting, RMT, duping etc is at the very center of where all the drama is surrounding this game, and I say just fucking nuke it from orbit and call it a day.

I didn't have too many problems finding decent loot self-found. With the exception of 3-4 LP uniques, other stuff drops with relative frequency.

Lacrymas

Arcane
There would be no online community with no trading and there would be 0 reason for seasons to exist.

ArchAngel

Arcane
There would be no online community with no trading and there would be 0 reason for seasons to exist.
Depends on if seasons are extra content like PoE or just reset of the characters, gear and money like D2.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Extra content is to be expected from LE, considering the game isn't even finished.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Extra content is to be expected from LE, considering the game isn't even finished.
There is difference between extra season content that is expected to be free or DLCs or expansions. Story is certainly not finished and that will not be seasonal content.

ADL

Prophet
https://forum.lastepoch.com/t/last-epoch-roadmap/70970
ff0e8ca5bde9eca3874ca2764f0e6d312d383b49_2_812x456.jpeg

As always, the team here at Eleventh Hour Games is dedicated to making the ARPG of our dreams, and we all know that’s a process that takes time, determination, and commitment. As of this writing, we have brought on excellent new people, continue looking for more, and are developing new and exciting content faster than ever. Our roadmap continues to showcase that we have long-term plans for Last Epoch and its content, and we are excited to showcase it here today.

Here’s the thing about roadmaps, though: we are striving to be one of the best and most community-centered game studios in the industry, and oftentimes the best-laid plans of Groles and Gods need to change. While this could be for a variety of reasons; the primary one is you, the community. As each new cycle is released, we plan to collaborate with the community to let you know what’s being worked on, listen to your feedback and suggestions for those plans, and continuously monitor how we can improve.

Each of the items listed on the roadmap are just a few examples of key features we plan to introduce for that cycle and do not represent the only things being worked on. Rest assured; the team is working harder and developing faster than before while also expanding with many new team members to bring you the game you deserve and produce a whole host of other features we have planned beyond those listed on the roadmap!

As we move toward each new patch, we also plan to update our roadmap to keep you informed of our plans and any changes that may have been made based on feedback we hear from the community!

We plan to update the roadmap just after Update 1.2 and again after Update 1.4.

PINNACLE CONTENT - RELEASE TIMING POLL​

Lastly, development for 1.1 is coming along nicely, and we’re excited to show you all of the great content, balances, bug fixes, and end-game pinnacle boss content coming along with it. Over the last few months, the community has started discussing Cycles and how content is made available to both Legacy and new Cycle characters. Our current plan for the 1.X series of patches is to bring all content to Offline, Cycle, and Legacy realms; but we also believe in allowing Cycle characters a small bit of time to attempt new pinnacle content before extremely well-geared and optimized Offline and Legacy characters have a chance to showcase just how fast they can conquer it.

For a refresher, existing Cycle characters will be moved to Legacy at the beginning of a new Cycle. Creating new Cycle characters will give everyone an even playing field with an economy reset and the need to re-roll a new separate character. Cycle is also where people may compete on that Cycle’s leaderboards.

With that said, we would love to hear from you about our currently proposed plans. Please take just a few minutes (it is 4 questions) and help us continue to grow with our community.

Link to Poll: https://forms.gle/58bE39Q2uTrUZFea6 277

Thank you for your amazing support thus far fellow Travelers, and we look forward to seeing you once again in the world of Eterra.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom