Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Making an 80s themed RPG

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
beverly hills cop: the rpg
While it wasn't limited to the 1980s, but the Buddy Cop schtick was big during the 1980s. 48 Hours, Miami Vice, Lethal Weapon, Simon & Simon, Tango & Cash, Moonlighting, Remington Steele, Red Heat, and so on. Typically you have a pair of mismatched personalities tossed together and forced to unite to solve a crime. There's often clashes early on which wind down as they get further in to the investigation and start realizing that the other brings something to the table that they don't have.

If you want to see something that nails a lot of 1980s tropes, there's this:

ropetight

Savant
While it wasn't limited to the 1980s, but the Buddy Cop schtick was big during the 1980s. 48 Hours, Miami Vice, Lethal Weapon, Simon & Simon, Tango & Cash, Moonlighting, Remington Steele, Red Heat, and so on. Typically you have a pair of mismatched personalities tossed together and forced to unite to solve a crime. There's often clashes early on which wind down as they get further in to the investigation and start realizing that the other brings something to the table that they don't have.

Ultimate buddies & kings of Euro Jank/Trash - Bud Spencer & Terence Hill lasted deep into 80's.
Combine comedy, and fascination of Europeans of that time with everything american they started their careers in spaghetti westerns.
Dynamic duo of big olympic swimmer and slick ex-stuntman has a lot of movies happening in the urban jungle of the 80's, always being cool and unwilling friends connected with circumstances.
Bad lipsync - a must.

Already a game, brawler of course - with lots of slaps

Stoned Ape

Savant
Oh, it goes way beyond that, my friend.

There is something incredibly distinct about early 80's Shaw Brothers' movie choreography. I saw that trailer and was instantly reminded of this, which I last watched when I was younger than 10 at a friend's house (my mum would never let me watch violent movies at home until I was around 14)

Last edited:

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I'd dig a reverse Ultima IV - instead of the Avatar being transported from real world into Britannia, how about someone like Iolo, Shamino or even Lord British himself (with option to create a char, too) being transported into 1980s USA and them trying to fit in and behave the right way.
The reverse of Ultima IV would be if you have to embody the 8 pillars of ultimate evil.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

I wanted to rewatch Red Heat and Tango & Cash.
I'll probably leave them for later this summer.

ropetight

Savant
Oh, it goes way beyond that, my friend.

There is something incredibly distinct about early 80's Shaw Brother's movie choreography. I saw that trailer and was instantly reminded of this, which I last watched when I was younger than 10 at a friend's house (my mum would never let me watch violent movies at home until I was around 14)

Combination of disbelief and persistence of those choreohraphies always amazed me.
That trailer mentions 36 Chambers of Shaolin, which is 70's, but was mayor inspiration for Wu-Tang Clan.

Shaw Bros paved the way for lots of kung fu movies, that were more 70's thing, but lasted well into 80's.
Like early & mid Jackie Chan, who borrowed trope from Bruce Lee, who borrowed it from Charlie Chaplin: skillful vagabond with childish demeanor, especially with the ladies.
Always on the move and looking for the new adventure, but with a twist of being a deadly fighter.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

Ultimate buddies & kings of Euro Jank/Trash - Bud Spencer & Terence Hill lasted deep into 80's.
Combine comedy, and fascination of Europeans of that time with everything american they started their careers in spaghetti westerns.
Dynamic duo of big olympic swimmer and slick ex-stuntman has a lot of movies happening in the urban jungle of the 80's, always being cool and unwilling friends connected with circumstances.
Bad lipsync - a must.

Already a game, brawler of course - with lots of slaps

They also did a buddy cop movie set in Miami.
Bud Spencer also did a television series with Philip Michael Thomas - "Detective Extralarge".

AndyS

Augur
I remember my nephew had a 1980s-themed table top RPG he played for a bit. You could create a team of ninjas, cyborgs, hard-boiled cops, mercenaries, etc., and go on adventures involving drug wars, third world dictators, corporate espionage, and Cold War spy stuff. I wish I noted the name of it (perhaps someone here knows).

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
go on adventures involving drug wars
That's definitely another thing about the 1980s, every bad guy plot ALWAYS went back to drugs. There was even an animated G.I. Joe movie where G.I. Joe and Cobra teamed up to take down a large drug operation. It was kind of weird seeing Cobra Commander talking about drawing the line at drugs, considering the other plots in that era.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom