Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nintendo Switch, the only console today making games which are games

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Full text as nikoferrynlennox's Instagram account is now Private (pulled from NeoGAF)
My first major “win” at my new job: in the original version of Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, this character, Vivian, is canonically trans in the Japanese release and is trying to escape her transphobic siblings who keep mocking her. In the US release, this was changed to her just being generally bullied. We remade the game for Switch, and a few months ago we were having a meeting about localization and I INSISTED that we keep her identity accurate this time. Not everyone was on board. MOST people weren’t on board because of the current political climate in this country over trans identities and bodies. She will be presented correctly in the US release of the game next month and I could not be more proud of queer fortitude and getting to fight for representation in the face of bullshit politics, even if it is just one fictional character in a cartoon video game. I’m glad they made the right choice.

Well this is actually kind of interesting. Given all the furor around translations and whether they're accurate to the dev's intent, if the original actually was trans, this should also be a win for the people hung up on translation accuracy. Unless, of course, the concern wasn't ever actually about translation accuracy.

He does seem to be an easily triggered homo though.

lightbane

Arcane
Japs don't see crossdressers as trans, but rather clowns, and trans themselves aren't better. I wouldn't be surprised if it was the former. Also, it's a fucking ugly ghost chuuby thing.

911 Jumper

Educated
Full text as nikoferrynlennox's Instagram account is now Private (pulled from NeoGAF)
My first major “win” at my new job: in the original version of Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, this character, Vivian, is canonically trans in the Japanese release and is trying to escape her transphobic siblings who keep mocking her. In the US release, this was changed to her just being generally bullied. We remade the game for Switch, and a few months ago we were having a meeting about localization and I INSISTED that we keep her identity accurate this time. Not everyone was on board. MOST people weren’t on board because of the current political climate in this country over trans identities and bodies. She will be presented correctly in the US release of the game next month and I could not be more proud of queer fortitude and getting to fight for representation in the face of bullshit politics, even if it is just one fictional character in a cartoon video game. I’m glad they made the right choice.

Well this is actually kind of interesting. Given all the furor around translations and whether they're accurate to the dev's intent, if the original actually was trans, this should also be a win for the people hung up on translation accuracy. Unless, of course, the concern wasn't ever actually about translation accuracy.

He does seem to be an easily triggered homo though.
That Nintendo of America employee is an odious trans activist. One can only hope that Nintendo sees his “fuck off” rant and culls him.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
That Nintendo of America employee is an odious trans activist. One can only hope that Nintendo sees his “fuck off” rant and culls him.
I think the problem with this idea is that Nintendo of America has been getting pretty woke lately.
We know what the Japanese words mean and we know what the localizers have done with the original Japanese in the TV series and games that sparked the controversy.

Lucumo

Educated
Japs don't see crossdressers as trans, but rather clowns, and trans themselves aren't better. I wouldn't be surprised if it was the former. Also, it's a fucking ugly ghost chuuby thing.
Depends on the context. They may exist to be the butt of some jokes, for story reasons or it's in some eroge. But yeah, definitely not trans. Heck, it's like arguing Mulan is trans. Only the mentally ill would do so.

Drag queens, okama etc are a separate category and generally there for comedic relief. It's also pretty obvious for any normal person.

emporio-ivankov.jpg

Unwanted

Cologno

Unwanted
Depends on the context. They may exist to be the butt of some jokes, for story reasons or it's in some eroge. But yeah, definitely not trans. Heck, it's like arguing Mulan is trans. Only the mentally ill would do so.

Drag queens, okama etc are a separate category and generally there for comedic relief. It's also pretty obvious for any normal person.

emporio-ivankov.jpg
Exactly. And they seem to realize their status in some way. It's natural to keep a (mostly) metaphorical boot on the neck of minorities to keep them in line. The trans and pronoun donkey shit is a Western thing and not even taken seriously as a "civil rights" issue anywhere else. Fuckers already had freedom of speech and association in America, both of which they're well on the way to destroying.

911 Jumper

Educated
Vid by the guy who broke the Switch 2 in 2025 story

Summary (via Famiboards forum) if you don't want to watch
Switch 2 is slated for March 2025 still - nothing has changed since his original report
expect announcement to pan out similar to Switch 1 (Sept-Nov for full reveal etc)
third party should be allowed to mention Switch 2 mulitplatform releases from June on even without showing it, since Nintendo is now openly talking about it (e.g. for games announced for 2025 they can confirm "PS5, Xbox Series X, Switch Successor)
He knows about a couple of multiplatform games that'll be announced for Switch 2 early on in the next semester
Direct in June is the last proper Switch 1 Direct but there's rumors about a Partner Direct late rin the year
Nintendo will announce more remasters in the Direct, he expect Metroid Prime 4 to be the last big reveal for Switch 1 and released this year but he doesn't know and it's just speculation on his part
he expects more leaks to come out now that the successor has been mentioned
Indie World in August

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Announcing the Switch is fully backwards compatible is likely to mean Yuzu and Ryujinx are upwards compatible :smug:
I think this was obvious when they started going after Yuzu as well as the MiG Switch flash cart. One of the first ways to hack a 3DS was by using the ntrboot hack using a DS flash cart which is a direct result of the 3DS being compatible with the Nintendo DS. And it still works to this day.

Tehdagah

Arcane
"Very rough estimates place it between the PS4 Pro and Xbox Series S"

I wonder if the Switch 2 will get multiplatform games from the PS5/Xbox.

Ryzer

Arcane
Every Nintendo hardware is technologically outdated on release and cheaply made, this one will be no different.

911 Jumper

Educated

I'm sure, just like Switch 1, it will get some ports. I expect games such as Dragons Dogma 2, RE7, RE8, RE Remakes, and Elden Ring will probably get ports.

Cheesedragon117

Educated

I'm sure, just like Switch 1, it will get some ports. I expect games such as Dragons Dogma 2, RE7, RE8, RE Remakes, and Elden Ring will probably get ports.
Are you kidding? It will be nothing but ports. Nintendo's in house development has had shit to show for the 7-odd years this console has been out. I expect Switch 2 will be more of the same, letting their best IPs wither on the vine as their virtual store becomes so inundated with shovelware as to be unusable. As a child of the GameCube era, you can only imagine my disappointment in the direction Nintendo has been heading...

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

Are you kidding? It will be nothing but ports. Nintendo's in house development has had shit to show for the 7-odd years this console has been out. I expect Switch 2 will be more of the same, letting their best IPs wither on the vine as their virtual store becomes so inundated with shovelware as to be unusable. As a child of the GameCube era, you can only imagine my disappointment in the direction Nintendo has been heading...

Imagine seeing what the NES and SNES were like and then watching from then on. :lol:

The Gamecube wasn't even all that and they haven't had a decent controller since the SNES controller.*

*The Switch Pro Controller isn't bad.

Anyway, yes, the Switch 2 will likely be mostly ports. Any idea how many actual dev teams they have working there? They've always been a profitable company, but the main thing driving them is their in house IP and that's been drying up hard, quite possibly as they get old and tired.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
As a fan of the DS/3DS, you can imagine how disappointing this is to me. When the Switch was being unveiled, one of the big promises that Nintendo had was that they were going to release more games because they wouldn't have to divide up their in house development studios between a home console and a handheld console. Seven years later, compare the Switch catalog from Nintendo to the WiiU titles they released. You'll start to notice that pretty much all their biggest releases are WiiU ports. The Switch will be the first Nintendo console not to have it's own Mario Kart game since the original game was released on the SNES.

There were 14 Mario titles for the 3DS. There's 22 for the Switch. Of those 22, you have Mario Kart 8, Luigi's Mansion 2, Paper Mario - Thousand Year Door, Super Mario RPG, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Super Mario 3D World, New Super Mario Bros U, and Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker. So, eight of those are ports from previous consoles. So, twice the developers since both the handheld and home console developers are both working on the Switch, and you have the same number of titles as their previous generation.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom