Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie Vampire Syndicate: Gangs of MoonFall - Semi-Isometric Cyberpunk Vampire RPG

Vatnik Wumao
No, the blackmail came in after season 1/that part of the book. The probes are essentially omnipotent and can instantly kill all humans at any time, but don’t because that would break the plot. Their entire goal was to kill all humans and colonize Earth, but they hold the idiot ball because the author can’t think of a logical plot.
Sophons are the size of a proton. To turn it into a exterminatus style weapon was beyond the resources of the trisolarans.

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM
No, the blackmail came in after season 1/that part of the book. The probes are essentially omnipotent and can instantly kill all humans at any time, but don’t because that would break the plot. Their entire goal was to kill all humans and colonize Earth, but they hold the idiot ball because the author can’t think of a logical plot.
Sophons are the size of a proton. To turn it into a exterminatus style weapon was beyond the resources of the trisolarans.
Did you read the book? They’re not actually the size of protons, they’re the size of planets that have been folded into protons by exploiting 4D space.

The Sophons have global telekinesis that does whatever the plot requires. They can instantly hack and disable all electronics on Earth simultaneously, including toasters. They can blot out the sun!

They could easily just fry all human brains like a microwave using the same mechanism, or launch the nukes, or spread plagues, or alter the climate, or block the sun for a week to freeze everyone, or manufacture grey goo, or throw an asteroid at the Earth, or whatever they fucking well want.

The author doesn’t do this because it would break the plot or because he doesn’t understand the implications of what he wrote. It’s bad writing and you shouldn’t waste your time defending it.

Vatnik Wumao
The Sophons have global telekinesis that does whatever the plot requires. They can instantly hack and disable all electronics on Earth simultaneously, including toasters. They can blot out the sun!
I vaguely remember most the stuff sophons can do are basically fancy illusions. The actual strength of their attack is fairly weak.

Sophons are protons expanded to the size of a planet, etched with a computer circuit and squeezed back down to their original size. Their mass and impact outside of optical illusions and hacking, would still be proton sized.

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM
I vaguely remember most the stuff sophons can do are basically fancy illusions. The actual strength of their attack is fairly weak.

Sophons are protons expanded to the size of a planet, etched with a computer circuit and squeezed back down to their original size. Their mass and impact outside of optical illusions and hacking, would still be proton sized.
I’m not interested in arguing further because this is not the right thread (sorry everyone!), the science errors would take a while to explain, and it’s so stupid that I don’t want to waste brainpower anyway. But you can read this review that flat out states none of the science in the story is valid and the plot makes no sense: https://clementsgame.wordpress.com/2015/08/08/science-fiction-round-48-three-body-problems/

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Will there be any interactive objects in exploration mode like in Duke Nukem 3D or Deus Ex?

More than likely. The old demos have various points of interest on an isometric map, and those will be the same but in first person.

I might even add a feature where you can inspect objects in a 3D model viewer like in survival horror games, if it makes sense for me to add it.

Whether these interactions will be animated however, will depend on how much work it would be.

AdolfSatan

Arcane

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Not saying he isn’t, just stating the likely facts. He was a good poster, and even brought AWS here to become Kruno’s woman, that’s some top-tier wingmanship.

tomphonse

Literate
One thing to note about going voiced or non-voiced in a non-isometric game is the more photorealistic and human the character models are the more weird it will feel if they aren't voiced or properly animated.
At least that's how I feel. Unvoiced mods in later Bethesda games feel very uncanny compared to Morrowind.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
One thing to note about going voiced or non-voiced in a non-isometric game is the more photorealistic and human the character models are the more weird it will feel if they aren't voiced or properly animated.
At least that's how I feel. Unvoiced mods in later Bethesda games feel very uncanny compared to Morrowind.

More than likely I'll get a lot of feedback like this. Just because I prefer it one way doesn't mean players will.

I'm not ruling out voice, but I'm also not planning for it either. We'll have to see.

I also discovered that I'm using a few of the same marketplace tools as ITS when they built Colony Ship :obviously:

I wonder if I should see if they're interested in licensing some of their systems....

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

More than likely I'll get a lot of feedback like this. Just because I prefer it one way doesn't mean players will.

I'm not ruling out voice, but I'm also not planning for it either. We'll have to see.

I also discovered that I'm using a few of the same marketplace tools as ITS when they built Colony Ship :obviously:

I wonder if I should see if they're interested in licensing some of their systems....

Should hurry, they might be having a fire sale. :(

tomphonse

Literate
More than likely I'll get a lot of feedback like this.

I don't know how attached you are to the first person perspective but I know one way to minimise the uncanniness is
to do third person with a less close camera angle.

nierautomata-dialoge.jpg

This combined with an initial greeting bark is what Japanese devs do in Nier and Yakuza to make their unvoiced dialog less uncanny.
In the first person teaser you showed it also I think felt less uncanny than an unvoiced Bethesda mod because the NPC in question had their face partially covered.
Helmets, masks, and other things that abstract the eyes also help with this.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
In the first person teaser you showed it also I think felt less uncanny than an unvoiced Bethesda mod because the NPC in question had their face partially covered.
Helmets, masks, and other things that abstract the eyes also help with this.

Yes, this is the rather crude solution that I'm currently using for two separate problems:

1. Character models that differ in quality, style and resolution? Slap a mask or something on them
2. No lip movement? Slap a mask on them.

Especially in a vampire cyberpunk game I don't think too many people will bat an eye. I will also probably include static, hyperdetailed close up rendered faceplates for main character dialogue, so overall I'm not too worried.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Partially voiced would probably suit. Sets up the voice with which we can speedread the text. All the classics did that anyway. And Drakensang too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom