Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Your Unpopular Gaming Opinions

rumSaint

Novice
I don't really believe in the concept of 'decline'.

Then you didn't game enough in the 90s. Across multiple platforms, but especially PC and PS1.
Your love for nostalgia had clearly slowed your mind

sddefault.jpg

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
I don't really believe in the concept of 'decline'.

Video games are a young enough medium that there isn't much danger of large swathes of games being lost to time(yet). Emulation is easy enough that any halfway intelligent person will have access to almost every game every made. Whatever your tastes, there exist enough games to occupy you for decades, and the absolute number of worthwhile games goes up every year, even if the median game might be getting worse(or might not, I think it's arguable). When someone complains that "everything is shit now", I assume that they just have low agency and expect large companies to spoonfeed them with titles that are tailor-made to their preferences.
I agree with your sentiment, but just because you have thousands of games on your backlog doesn't mean that decline as a concept doesn't exist. I said basically the same thing a bit earlier, if you can't find something to enjoy, it's really on you. But decline isn't that the number of good games went down, it's that the overall quality of (then) new games went down. For instance, if you like blobbers, it's pretty hard to deny the sub-genre went into decline after 1993, even if good games were released after that. They just weren't as many greats. The PS3-era in general was pure decline for CRPGs. But incline is also possible, it's widely considered that 1993-96 is a dark age for CRPGs, but then it inclined. After the PS3-era, we got the Kickstarter-era, which resulted in incline, even if you don't care for most, they were better than the nearly nothing we got the generation before.

But again, the sentiment is right, there was just as much crap on old systems, you just didn't notice it because you had to look for it. You're not going to notice how many Asteroids, Defender and Space Invader clones there are around unless you go looking for them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom