Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate .

wishbonetail

Learned
I have no gripes with most of IE but PST specifically has the worst controls in the history of gamedev making it indeed a torment. Does anyone know if the controls and pathfinding were somehow improved in EEs?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Torment could've been made using any engine capable of displaying fucking text,
Chris Avellone is on the record saying Torment couldn't have happened without the Infinity Engine and that Black Isle had a notoriously poor record when it came to making their own tech (demonstrably true just looking at their body of work and all their cancelled projects).

Ranting about the engine used to create some of finest CRPGs of all time 25 years later. I'm imagining some primitive human in the village square, howling about the dangers of The Wheel, because sleds had different virtues and were just fine-thank-you-very-much! This place is getting tedious. Perhaps it's because the last year didn't have a lot of interesting titles? All of this shitposting is actually make me play more RPGs. Is that incline, or decline? I've got a new formulae for posting on the RPG Codex. Roll a D6, post according to the result. I rolled a 3.

1. :edgy:
  2. :codexisforindividualswithgenderidentityissues:
  3. :majordecline:
  4. :butthurt:
  5. :deadhorse:
  6. :shitposting:

almondblight

Arcane
Instead, it has many cons of the above, like dumb AI.

This was intentional. The Bioware folks said that originally the AI was competent and they thought it made things too difficult, so they intentionally dumbed it down. They also said the reason it was realtime was because they were trying to copy RTS games, which were huge at the time. You can search through some of my old posts for the links if you're interested.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Retarded, pointless thread.
Infinity Engine has a certain timeless majesty. Whether it is the frozen north of Icewind Dale or the Amnian south with its capital of Athkatla, it just looks really good.
Isn't this what an RPG should be about? Adventuring in all manner of places and curbstomping all manner of creatures.

.Pixote.

Augur
It was a great engine for its time, and the games made for it are still some of the greatest ever made. Was it perfect? No...but who cares. Modern gamers might find it cringe worthy, but who cares about modern gamers!

some of finest CRPGs
Just because you were 13 when they came out doesn't mean they were good.
I got my introduction to CRPGs with Dark Queen of Krynn, Betrayal at Krondor, and Diablo. I'm hardly biased.

RPGCodex Top 101 All Time Greatest CRPGs

#1: Planescape: Torment
#3: Baldur's Gate 2: SoA
#19: Baldur's Gate
#24: Icewind Dale
#68: Icewind Dale 2

:butthurt:

Diggfinger

Arcane
This fucking pathetic pos "rpg" engine did more damage to crpgs than bethesda did. Torment could've been made using any engine capable of displaying fucking text, IWD series would be much better off if it didn't run on that horrible abomination which combines the worst of real-time and turd-based.
There were also BGs but who gives a rat's ass.

It's terrible. It doesn't have any pros of tb, like better AI than in rt games, tactical options (x-com, ja2, wiz 8 compared to that overglorified pos bg2) or real-time (VISCERAL action!).
Instead, it has many cons of the above, like dumb AI.
It's a creature that should've never existed. A disgusting mutation which only succeeded because bg allowed many teenagers to live out their fantasies in the most generic fantasy setting ever created.

This whole thread is
:shunthenonbeliever:....

turkishronin

Arcane
Reminder that Bioware's own devs said that they made it just to jump on the RTS hype of the 90s and had to add pause because things turned into a clusterfuck. It has no reason to exist in 2023 yet kikestarter revived this abomination.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
One if the best rpg engines ever tied with Aurora. Yes, I went there. Now, go fuckin' die, troll. :)

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron

Codex has bad taste
More accurate to state that a portion of the Codex has bad taste. Old-timers have confirmed that the early 'dex detested the Infinity Engine and Bioware generally. :M

2003: The Year in Review

All in all, 2003 was a pretty rotten year for the CRPG genre. There just weren't really any great CRPG titles, the only real exception being Spiderweb Software's excellent sequel Geneforge 2. Beyond that, almost everything was a disappointment. Let's have a look at the important events, people and products of 2003 and explain just why they sucked--or didn't.

BioWare continues to unabashedly be horrible

Black

Arcane
some of finest CRPGs
Just because you were 13 when they came out doesn't mean they were good.
I got my introduction to CRPGs with Dark Queen of Krynn, Betrayal at Krondor, and Diablo. I'm hardly biased.

:butthurt:
Your democracy is a scam and will never fly.
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/why-was-bg2-subpar.1935/

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
IE engine was terrible for Baldur’s Gate. It probably would be fine for an actual RT strategy game (which I’m pretty sure it originally was to begin with).

Trash Engine (aside from pretty graphics, and trash game.

Glop_dweller

Prophet
Infinity Engine provides the best d&d combat experience of any game ever released. You just have to do a high difficulty run of full SCS.

It's not necessarily a faithful representation of d&d combat, but it is the best one.
Not so. That honor belongs to Troika's Temple of Elemental Evil.

almondblight

Arcane

Went ahead and dug up the interview:

“I think at the time we were really heavily influenced by Warcraft, we were playing a lot of it and it felt really good,” Oster starts explaining. “But when you threw a party in with the second edition D&D rules it turned into a hairball so fast, things were happening so quickly you couldn’t really control it. And we got talking about it and the feeling was that by going strictly turn-based it would just slow the gameplay down too much. So we kind of thought about it almost more like an [American] football game where it’s going and then you stop and you make a call, you make a play, and then the game continues on. As long as the game’s flowing well, don’t interrupt it. So that’s really kind of where the pause-in-play came out, it was us trying to keep the game flowing but at the same time trying to allow that additional element of tactics, thinking through your strategy and executing your strategy.”

And the funny thing is when we initially built the AI, it was too smart, it just tore the party apart. You’d get down to the bottom of the Nashkel Mines and you’d run into those Kobold commandos and they would target your spellcaster and boom, one turn down your spellcaster is dead, turn two the cleric’s dead… And it just destroyed the party and we were like: ‘Oh wow okay, let’s dial it back!’,” he laughs.

One of the funniest aspects of the IE engine for me was that the combat animation isn't connected at all to the actual combat. Swinging a sword doesn't correspond to an actual attack role, they just have these generic animations of the characters flailing around with their weapons playing on a loop while the actual combat gets handled invisibly in the background.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom