Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline 3D Super Mario Games

What is in your opinion, the best 3D platforming Super Mario game?

• Total voters

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Like I said in the 2D thread, the 3D Super Mario games are imo too different to be discussed together with their 2D siblings.
As such, they deverse their own thread and most importantly their own poll. And since they are fewer in number than the 2D games, in this poll I'll only allow 1 vote.

Last edited:

Ivan

Arcane
Largely b/c of its immaculate presentation and soundtrack, 3D World wins it for me. Listen to this shit:

fucking heaven right there

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
64 has the most soul. There's also practically an infinite supply of rom hacks for it.

Galaxy gets my vote, though it’s been over 15 years since I played it.

Odyssey was quite good, but a bit too kitchen sink for my taste. 64 is largely great, and was an insane design achievement for its time, but it has aged somewhat (though not entirely) poorly. Sunshine is meh, never played Galaxy 2, and the 3D games both felt extremely polished and extremely underwhelming to me.

RuySan

Augur
Love both galaxy games and I usually don't even enjoy 3d platformers. Mario Sunshine is terrible though. There was a time where my daughter was really into it and I couldn't just stand it anymore.

Tried odyssey with emulator but the framerate just wasn't smooth. It was one of those fitgirl packs.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
3D World wins it for me
I played 3D Land only
They are interesting titles because their design is closer to the 2D Mario games
But I found 3D Land very lenient, the special worlds have some fight in them, but still probably the easiest Mario game I played (aside from nuSMB2, but that game's problem was more because farming lives is so easy with the golden mario power-up)

Odyssey was quite good, but a bit too kitchen sink for my taste.
That is Odysssey's greatness imo
Each level is a distinct sandbox with a thematic hook tying everything together and they all have multiple task and secrets of varying difficulty
With also helps the level design is quite good and the game is very meaty - possibly the biggest Mario game

Mario Sunshine is terrible though.
Nah
Sunshine is awesome
It has some pretty sick moevement mechanics, in large part thanks to the water pack
I think its even the only 3D where you can ride Yoshi...
Anyway, imo the failling of Sunshine is that by sticking to the tropical island setting, the levels couldn't be as diverse as other Mario games - but at the same it is understandable why they couldn't get away from it, since they needed places with tons of water for the game to work...

Hagashager

Educated
3D Land for the 3DS holds a very special place in my heart. It's both a fantastic distillation of Mario Platforming and nostalgia for me. It feels just right as a Mario game. The platforming is precise and clear. The gimmicks are cute without being burdensome. The aesthetic is very classically Mario, but with a glossy veneer I find charming.

I know there's 3D World, but I never had a Wii U and the few times I played it at a buddy's dorm in college it just felt too floaty and barren. It was *meant* for multiplayer.

On a personal level, 3D Land was the second game I bought for my 3DS. I have very fond memories of riding the train for an hour to my university as I played 3D land to the sunrise and then repeating the little relaxation ritual on the way home to tbe sunset. It's like peak nostalgia man! The only things missing is it taking place in the '90s, I'm 10 and have a McDonald's Happy Meal with Michael Jordan's face on it.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I was very skeptical when I was asked to try Galaxy, but it's a really great game. It wins for me. The controls couldn't be good, I told myself, but it wasn't true. It controls well, and the planets are fun.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Crash Bandicoot >>> Mario

post-image.png

Nah

Bigg Boss

Arcane
I have not played all of these but 3D World was the best I played in a long time. Plus I could play it with my wife...on the first world at least.

Super Mario Galaxy 1/2. Not as revolutionary as 64 was at time of release (few are) but it's currently the best Mario/platformer action you can get.

Odyssey was nice enough, better than the disappointing Sunshine, but the Banjo Kazooie exploration formula it follows simply doesn't make for as good a Mario game as the more obstacle course-based/reach the finish line formulas of previous games.

The 3D land/3D world games are good fun but the experience is closer to 2D mario games than 3d ones.

musouking

Novice
Patron
Finished Mario 64 DS recently. Terrible controls and camera but still great fun gameplay. It's amazing since my first 3D Mario is Odyssey I'm pessimistic about older 3D games without right camera control stick. Next will play Galaxy. :bounce:

Beans00

Erudite
64 had better designed levels but you had to use the n64 controller.
Sunshine was worse then 64 in pretty much every way but it used the gamecube controller.

sunshine > 64, Just for the controller. Never played anything after sunshine.

Falksi

Arcane
Playing 64 was enough to put me off them for life.
Why?

They were just such decline from 2D platforming, mainly because half of the time you were fighting against the camera,.

Once you've learned the game and know where everything is, then you can jolly about way more. But getting there just wasn't fun at all.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom