Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

AD&D Pools of Darkness: What do you find appealing about it?

chasewystone

Barely Literate
I've been playing through the original Advanced Dungeons & Dragons gold box games. I started with Pool of Radiance, transferred my party to Curse of the Azure Bonds, then to Secret of the Silver Blades and finally to Pools of Darkness. Even with how dated the games are, I have enjoyed the experience... until now.

In Pool of Radiance, you had a clear basic objective of "you're adventurers, and this town has need of adventurers," which eventually evolves into something more. You have some freedom to move and do things in whatever order, but you get pretty clear hints on where to go and what to do.

In Curse of the Azure Bonds, I had some drive through the story on what to do. Whenever I felt "lost," the game had ways of dropping hints on where to go, what was going on, and what needed to be done.

In Secret of the Silver Blades, I felt like the story was really slow to get started, but when you eventually met a specific NPC and got the ball rolling on the plot, it had a good, overall cohesive feel to the story and the maps.

In all three of the above games, the story progression mixed with leveling and finding equipment really kept me engaged and going. The issue I'm facing right now is that the story in Pools of Darkness feels really really dull. It feels like your whole drive boils down to "evil bad... bring good to land!". Am I alone in this assessment? Does anyone feel? Can you explain why (hopefully without involving spoilers?)

NOTE: I will point out that the graphical increase in PoD is fantastic, and I really enjoy the updates to the spells, sounds, etc. It's just feels like that's all that was really done.

Gregz

Arcane
I've been playing through the original Advanced Dungeons & Dragons gold box games. I started with Pool of Radiance, transferred my party to Curse of the Azure Bonds, then to Secret of the Silver Blades and finally to Pools of Darkness. Even with how dated the games are, I have enjoyed the experience... until now.

In Pool of Radiance, you had a clear basic objective of "you're adventurers, and this town has need of adventurers," which eventually evolves into something more. You have some freedom to move and do things in whatever order, but you get pretty clear hints on where to go and what to do.

In Curse of the Azure Bonds, I had some drive through the story on what to do. Whenever I felt "lost," the game had ways of dropping hints on where to go, what was going on, and what needed to be done.

In Secret of the Silver Blades, I felt like the story was really slow to get started, but when you eventually met a specific NPC and got the ball rolling on the plot, it had a good, overall cohesive feel to the story and the maps.

In all three of the above games, the story progression mixed with leveling and finding equipment really kept me engaged and going. The issue I'm facing right now is that the story in Pools of Darkness feels really really dull. It feels like your whole drive boils down to "evil bad... bring good to land!". Am I alone in this assessment? Does anyone feel? Can you explain why (hopefully without involving spoilers?)

NOTE: I will point out that the graphical increase in PoD is fantastic, and I really enjoy the updates to the spells, sounds, etc. It's just feels like that's all that was really done.

High-level D&D is a murderhobo power fantasy, PoD delivers that.

One does not play Pools of Darkness for "the story".

100% correct.

mondblut

Arcane
The issue I'm facing right now is that the story in Pools of Darkness feels really really dull. It feels like your whole drive boils down to "evil bad... bring good to land!". Am I alone in this assessment? Does anyone feel? Can you explain why (hopefully without involving spoilers?)

Uh, are you sure you played the same Pools of Darkness we did? The story in Pools of Darkness, especially for someone who played the previous installments, is "the whole of the land we have been protecting for 10 years, including some of the people we used to adventure with and probably care about, is mysteriously gone, misplaced somewhere else by evil powers, likely a very unpleasant place too, so perhaps we should do something about it and try to restore it back to its rightful place".

Sounds less dull to me than "evil guy wants to rule over everything because that's what evil guys always do".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom