Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

BattleBit Remastered — the 254-player, voxel-based 'Battlefield Killer'

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
What is BattleBit?

Battlebit is an arcade-y, Battlefield-esque FPS with highly destructible environments, vehicles and air support, and servers with up to 254 players. It even has a proper server browser! Despite the arcade-style gameplay modes and the low-poly graphical style, it still has great ballistics, excellent optics and an expansive gun-modification system.

While its visuals are admittedly quite cartoonish, it still has more milsim elements than most shooters out there; RPG-7s alone come in frag, HE, and tandem variants. There are also slight aiming deadzones, such that the barrel of your gun isn't aligned perfectly one-to-one with the camera when aiming from the hip. Makes things a touch more real when hip-firing, less arcade-y.

"It's like Battlefield and Squad had a Minecraft baby."

It's currently in Early Access on Steam, and you can request access to the playtest for free. (I got in immediately.) There's no exact date for the next playtest right now, but in the meantime, if you're curious, you can get a feel for it in a singeplayer shooting range.

Steam said:
BattleBit Remastered is a low poly FPS that aims for a massively multiplayer experience. Fight on a large battlefield with ground vehicles, boats, and air support. Create your own strategies to win in a near-fully destructible map.

Shape the Battlefield!
BattleBit Remastered offers the players the experience of nearly fully destroying the map. Nearly all elements of a map are destructible. The buildings, the skyscrapers, the bunkers... Shape the battlefield as you see fit!

Clash with up to 254 players!
Enter the battle with various player sizes on different maps and game modes! With support for 8vs8, 16vs16, 32vs32, 64vs64 and 127vs127, BattleBit Remastered has something for everyone! Map layouts adjust to current number of players in the server to keep battles fluid and immersive.

gif2.gif

Choose your own Specialization!
The war needs not just soldiers, but also other specializations. Become an Assault, Medic, Engineer, Support or Recon for your team. Squad Leaders can coordinate with other squads and their own to strike key objectives and earn points for deployables! Utilize each class with their own special gadgets and ensure victory for your team!

Communication is Key!
Teamwork and Communication, are two important elements that help the soldiers achieve victory. The Game features in-game VOIP (voice chat) and text chat for players to use. Communicate with other squad leaders, squadmates, teammates...and maybe even your enemies.

The Armory Awaits!
More than 35 weapons with each having its own customization with tons of attachments. This offers you flexibility in customizing your Loadout, as well as your Soldier. Customize your weapon as you see fit just like you can customize your soldier. Heads up, the backpack you're carrying will affect your loadout.

gif1.gif

Start your Engines!
You will have ground, naval and *air assets at your disposal. Use the vehicle arsenal available to you to control the flow of battle and achieve victory!

gif3.gif

(He's not kidding, the optics really are dope.)

Will ping this thread when the next playtest has a date or starts. :)

Last edited:

V17

Educated
The original Ace of Spades, before Jagex bought the rights and made a shitty game of the same name, was a bit like a super stripped down version of this and it was fun as hell for a while. I can see it being pretty good.

What's suspicious to me is that they still embrace some modern military shooter bullshit like ranks or seeing your team mates through walls. Maybe it's just in as gimmicks to lure in Battlefield players, but it kinda feels like they don't want to differentiate enough and their goal is to create something that's still kinda crap, just not the worst crap.

Jonathan "Zee Nekomimi

Hoarder of loli kats./ Funny ^._.^= ∫
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
og ace of spades was pretty fun yes. Even more so when u managed to play at the start of a new match with a fresh terrain.

lycanwarrior

Scholar

Check out some of the replies by console gamers (presumably), looking their noses down on Steam/PC gamers

:flamesaw:

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
One thing I can appreciate from the screenshots alone is that you can actually discern what's going on. Since visual noise is very low (for now).

None

Scholar
My brother is trying to get me into this. Looks like an absolute clusterfuck. All I saw was gameplay and behavior that reminded me of Operation Metro from Battlefield 3/4. Lots of people packed into a small area with no room to maneuver, something I am not a fan of.

How arcadey is this? Are there larger maps than the suburbs/Burgertown clone I saw? Should I not bother and just continue to play Project Reality instead?

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Lots of people packed into a small area with no room to maneuver

I'm instantly reminded of mortar spam from Battlefield 1 back when it was OP. Just sit in the back and watch your kill count skyrocket.

Meatgrinder gameplay is great if you don't actually have to participate in the meatgrinder.

:troll:

Alex

Arcane
I have no idea what this is about. But I am curious why they choose 254 players. Are the active player IDs an 8bit variable and they reserved 2 of them?

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Weird game. It's fun to snipe, but close-quarters combat is too much of a clusterfuck to be very fun.

The one lesson they should have learned from BF2042 is that more players on a map makes it less fun, not more.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
It reminds me of the fun I had with prime battlefield 2 back in the day. But with actual communication with teammates. Fairly good.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
My brother was a veteran BF2 player and he is singing this game unending praise... aside from the blocky graphics.

Jinn

Arcane
Turned off by the blocky presentation, but after watching some gameplay footage it looks really solid. I was a huge fan of Battlefield 2, and this looks to harness the spirit of that, except with better gunplay and more indepth gameplay. My brother got it recently, so I might just have to dive in myself.

grimace

Arcane
Is Battlebit built on Source engine? Unreal?

Last edited:

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
It reminds me of the fun I had with prime battlefield 2 back in the day. But with actual communication with teammates. Fairly good.
I'm too young to have played bf2 seriously back in the day, but it definitely feels like it's trying to capture the experience of old school Battlefield, the fundamentals of what made it and bad company fun, albeit striking a very different tone visually while doing so (but the simplistic graphics has seemingly allowed them to focus on gameplay). The upside to that and the low price tag is that near anyone can play it, you don't need a 3080 or 4090 or whatever to play it.

(I love Klean, but he really needs to stop saying bro every five seconds lol.)

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Codex is sleeping on this game. My opinion on it has improved dramatically over the past week, there's so much customization and nuances in the gameplay. It's crazy.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Codex is sleeping on this game.
Given the amount of shitty games that are asset flips of minecraft-esque packs for unity and co., I understand the kneejerk reaction. But it's silly to look no further than that.

They took a lot of care with certain things. (The optics are super nice!)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom