Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Definition of "combat" in an RPG

Nutcracker

Scholar
This idea came up in a front page thread and i think some clarification is necessary. Consider the following situations:

i) Hunting wolves/rats/deer/other consumable or trophy animals ingame.
ii) Fighting a bandit, guard, or motivated non-human entity (eg skeleton/zombie)

IMO killing a boar in Gothic (for example) isnt combat - it's hunting. Especially since you can get meat and hides from the slain animals, which are then able to be used by the character.

The natural conclusion of this argument is that you could completely avoid combat in an RPG, but still be able to engage wildlife.

Fighting a bear in Gothic feels like hunting because the gameplay makes you feel like hunting, you have to track the fucker down in real-time, you know it won't respawn until the next chapter etc...fighting a bear in any other game feels like regular combat.

latexmonkeys

Augur
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Getting meat or hides from slain animals is no different than getting loot from humanoid combat. If you kill animals in the same manner you would kill a goblin - it's combat.

Larping doesn't change the fact that it's combat.

Period.

The Realms of Arkania trilogy implemented a good example of non - combat hunting.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Killing a deer in Gothic 3 or in Oblivion is hunting, because they run away from you and you have to sneak close (but not too close) and then snipe them with your bow.

Killing boars or wolves in Gothic is combat because they fight you and might totally fuck you up.

Glyphwright

What about beating up a whore after the sex to get your money back?

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Glyphwright said:
What about beating up a whore after the sex to get your money back?

It's like having a cake and eating it too. :smug: I'm smart.

Radisshu

Prophet
That always bugged me in Bloodlines. Why won't the prostitues drop the money I just handed them when they get sucked dry and drop dead?

zeitgeist

Magister
Which category would bounty hunting and assassinations fall into, following this logic?

SoupNazi

zeitgeist said:
Which category would bounty hunting and assassinations fall into, following this logic?
That depends. If the victim is running away from you and not fighting back, it's hunting. When they fight back, it's combat. :lol:

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
SoupNazi said:
zeitgeist said:
That depends. If the victim is running away from you and not fighting back, it's hunting. When they fight back, it's combat. :lol:

So... Altair was a hunter not an assasin. Who knew?

Hunter Creed! Out in August on Xbox360!

I think hunting also counts as combat, since fleeing is one thing you can do during combat. I'm not sure if it's combat if you just lay traps. You purposefully did something that resulted in another creature getting hurt, so indirect combat maybe?

Glyphwright

I thought attacking someone who's running away from you is a chase, not hunting. Hunting relies on staying hidden and laying traps and disinformation to lure the prey where it's easiest to kill it, then stepping out for a quick kill. Needless to say, this is not possible in either Gothic or Morrowind. Deus Ex, on the other hand.

Hunt eat. Combat not eat. Also fishun.

In Action/Adventures, however, wildlife behaviour and interaction is remarkably retardedly similar to that of the rest of the cast: you shoot at it with your flaming bow of sparkly might or run and whack it with a 200kg greataxe +3 until it drains all HP. Preferably, wearing fullplate.
Sure, it suits the definition of hunting, but holy shit batman is it ridiculous even to powergame.

So, no, with mechanics, animations and approach like that, I don't see that kind of 'hunting' not being just another combat. It's all moot, anyway - can't see devs wasting time on hunting simulations in their epic fantasy lands.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Clockwork Knight said:
I think hunting also counts as combat, since fleeing is one thing you can do during combat. I'm not sure if it's combat if you just lay traps. You purposefully did something that resulted in another creature getting hurt, so indirect combat maybe?

So using poison on food to kill your targets in Hitman is a form of combat?

JarlFrank said:
Clockwork Knight said:

So using poison on food to kill your targets in Hitman is a form of combat?

Yeah, I thought about including that question on my previous post, because I dunno lol. I think there's no clear difference between "hunting" and "combat".

You're sneaking up on an animal (hunting!), then you miss the shot, it notices you and charges (...is it combat now? If you started to run away, are you the one being hunted now?), only to step on a trap you laid between you two (uh...). Maybe if you consider "combat" to be conflict between sentient beings, and "hunting" when there's an animal involved.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Combat in a RPG is ridding a horny horse casting ITZ spells as you "horse-by" and all your enemies can see is your naked character with a ragging boner laughing hysterically.

DraQ

Arcane
racofer said:
Combat in a RPG is ridding a horny horse casting ITZ spells as you "horse-by" and all your enemies can see is your naked character with a ragging boner laughing hysterically.
nottheblivzo8.jpg

(modded)

DraQ

Arcane
Clockwork Knight said:
DraQ said:
Pointless thread is pointless.

DraQ said:
What's the point off this thread again?

What's the point of posting the same thing twice?

Clarification.
Laziness.
Ability to do so.

Anyway, don't worry, soon we'll go back to illustrate how undeserving of attention Dragon Age 2 is by making 3 threads an hour to say how much it will suck.
I sense a slight note of irony there.
:smug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom