Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Developer rejuvenation?

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
I was thinking a bit about the trajectory of various famous developers: Blizzard, Bioware, Bethesda, Square Enix and how when the decline started it didn't really ever reverse even if it was sometimes halted.

Has there ever been a game company that made two games of declining quality in a row and then bounced back with a hit? Or even bouncing back after a single turd?

Faarbaute

Arbiter
I think Piranha bytes would qualify. Although, they still seem to be on a terminal decline, when you plot a course from their very high starting out point, all the way through their ups and downs, to where they are now.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
Individual talent plays a major role in the quality of games, usually decline is related with said talent either leaving or becoming disconnected with their craft.

In the case of Blizzard, I think Chris Metzen did a lot to make their universes cool. He has recently returned to Blizzard so maybe they can come up with something cool for their next wow expansion or something.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I was thinking a bit about the trajectory of various famous developers: Blizzard, Bioware, Bethesda, Square Enix and how when the decline started it didn't really ever reverse even if it was sometimes halted.

Has there ever been a game company that made two games of declining quality in a row and then bounced back with a hit? Or even bouncing back after a single turd?
After two decades of floundering, InXile famously regained the hearts and minds of the Codex in 2020 with Wasteland 3.

vWqQGSr.png

Modron

Arcane
I mean doublefine shat out two kickstarter games out of early access with just 5% of the promised features Massive Chalice and Spacebase whatever then followed that up with Psychonauts 2, which while not as good as the first wasn't bad from what I understand. That's about all I can think besides Risen 2-3 then Elex.

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
it's unlikely because fat hasbeens are too scared about their mortgages to do anything else than remakes of stuff they did as clueless kids with vim and vigour
since the population in developed countries is aging less starry eyed kids are joining the industry especially now when the novelty has worn off and it's more profitable to work on ai

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
Thought about it some more and this is kinda bugging me, Piranha Byte is not my jam so I wouldn't exactly know but there must be some right?

Faarbaute

Arbiter
There seems to be a bit of a pattern where the creative direction (lets be charitable for a moment) of a developer or a development studio changes, resulting in a departure from what made their games good in the first place. Followed by a phase of producing unfocused shit, chasing trends etc, with subsequent entries doing significantly worse than your claim to fame.

After a couple of bombs, if your studio has managed to stay afloat, the now bitter devs resign themselves to a loveless retreading of their old steps. Which is really just a cynical cash grab, rather than a true return to form. If successful, and if you have a particularly dense retard in charge, you can then repeat the cycle again, until you have bombed out of the industry entirely.

There really doesn't seem to be a lot of room for an actual rejuvenation to take place. Unless, maybe there's some studio out there which made a couple of bad offerings for budget or mismanagement reasons, which then proceeded to secure a lot of capital, or come under new management, which then allowed them to return to their original form? It would have to be something external to the actual creative drive and capacity of the studio, which set them back temporarily for some reason.

None

Scholar
Could make a case for Bethesda, with Redguard and Battlespire flopping until Morrowind came along.

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
but their legacy and impact was tremendous.
how were Troika games' legacy and impact tremendous?
Are we gonna argue semantics now?
They are cult classics.
Indie projects try and rip them off all the time.
VTMB 2 (when and IF it will be released) should probably beg to be as beloved as its predecessor...
semantics is what you have to argue when the other party throws around meaningless phrases
if you're arguing that troika had a tremendous impact on the industry, name games directly inspired by troika games...

Iucounu

Educated
I believe most creative individuals peak at an early age, then the rest of their careers just build upon that heritage (perhaps best seen with musicians). I suppose a game development company could hire new blood to replace the old, but in practice it doesn't seem to work.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
No one is great all the time. Just like in sports.
Looking Glass Studios.
Troika.
Depends on your definition of "great". Their games were generally not known for commercial success and generating big $, but their legacy and impact was tremendous.
Looking Glass Studios was great but when the devs came back to Kickstarter after a decade of doing nothing, they shat out Underworld Ascendant.

When Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky went to Obsidian and finally got to work together again, they made Outer Worlds.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom