Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup (the roguelike)

The Jester

Cipher
I used to be pretty good back in the day before they started removing a bunch of fun stuff

Why do people do this? What was some of the fun stuff you remember?
Apparently devs are doing this to make the game more 'fun', though they must have some weird sense of what is fun and what isn't. I think over the years they've removed far more fun things than they've added. 0.21 was the last version I played, and I wouldn't be surprised to find out that by now they've removed like half the game from that time. Recently I wanted to come back and replay it with Deep Dwarf (my first win in this game), and of course they're not in the game anymore.
This is what happens when people working on an open-source game don't have a clear vision of the finished product in mind.
Inevitably, they begin altering aspects of the game merely to prolong its development indefinitely.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I used to be pretty good back in the day before they started removing a bunch of fun stuff

Apparently devs are doing this to make the game more 'fun', though they must have some weird sense of what is fun and what isn't. I think over the years they've removed far more fun things than they've added. 0.21 was the last version I played, and I wouldn't be surprised to find out that by now they've removed like half the game from that time. Recently I wanted to come back and replay it with Deep Dwarf (my first win in this game), and of course they're not in the game anymore.
This is what happens when people working on an open-source game don't have a clear vision of the finished product in mind.
Inevitably, they begin altering aspects of the game merely to prolong its development indefinitely.

It's also why there are so many "ex-DCSS devs" that end up making their own forks. A lot of people that contribute get sick of the toxic personalities at the top.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
lol remember when they removed the Sword of Jihad because racism?
Zealot's sword.png the +12,+10 sword of Jihad

+12, +10 eudemon blade

Holy wrath brand
+3 EV
rN+
+20 MR
Forces Berserk
-50 Stealth

It was in the original as well. -50 stealth can kill the character in some areas.

Covenant

Savant

Other people have covered the 'why' well enough. I'd have just simplified it to mental illness (which also covers all the fucking around with gender they did as well, as well as the other 'socially conscious' changes they made like renaming the Assassin, removing Pikel's slaves, etc).

In terms of cool stuff, a non-exhaustive list, some very minor, some less so:
  • Player clinging (using spider form to avoid traps, or deep water on Shoals, etc, was neat)
  • Zot Defense
  • Felid jump-attack
  • Natasha getting weaker after revival
  • Plenty of spells (RIP Conjure Flame) and evocables, including potions of ability (also, potions of stabbing was the most stupid idea ever, and whoever had it should feel ashamed)
  • Riposte
  • Races messed with (e.g. Kobolds getting moved toward casting and away from being stealthy snipers/stabbers, Ogres losing M&F aptitude, etc)
  • Loud noises breaking mesmerisation
  • Burning spellbooks with Trog (or destroying them to forget spells)
  • Blowguns, various dart types
  • Amulets of harm
  • Strength weighting
  • Various spells, like Force Lance, or Deflect missiles (required significant investment but potentially worth it for Elven Halls or Shoals)
  • As part of the above, Charms and buffing generally
  • Centaurs, Deep Dwarves, Ogres, Meteorans
  • Different types of ranged weapon skills
  • Abyssal Knights
  • Species size affecting SH

I also have to laugh at the recent patch notes listing things like Sack of Spiders, Reavers, etc, as 'new additions', rather than admitting they're undoing their prior removals.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik

Other people have covered the 'why' well enough. I'd have just simplified it to mental illness (which also covers all the fucking around with gender they did as well, as well as the other 'socially conscious' changes they made like renaming the Assassin, removing Pikel's slaves, etc).

In terms of cool stuff, a non-exhaustive list, some very minor, some less so:
  • Player clinging (using spider form to avoid traps, or deep water on Shoals, etc, was neat)
  • Zot Defense
  • Felid jump-attack
  • Natasha getting weaker after revival
  • Plenty of spells (RIP Conjure Flame) and evocables, including potions of ability (also, potions of stabbing was the most stupid idea ever, and whoever had it should feel ashamed)
  • Riposte
  • Races messed with (e.g. Kobolds getting moved toward casting and away from being stealthy snipers/stabbers, Ogres losing M&F aptitude, etc)
  • Loud noises breaking mesmerisation
  • Burning spellbooks with Trog (or destroying them to forget spells)
  • Blowguns, various dart types
  • Amulets of harm
  • Strength weighting
  • Various spells, like Force Lance, or Deflect missiles (required significant investment but potentially worth it for Elven Halls or Shoals)
  • As part of the above, Charms and buffing generally
  • Centaurs, Deep Dwarves, Ogres, Meteorans
  • Different types of ranged weapon skills
  • Abyssal Knights
  • Species size affecting SH

I also have to laugh at the recent patch notes listing things like Sack of Spiders, Reavers, etc, as 'new additions', rather than admitting they're undoing their prior removals.

I see. Its crazy how much SJWs there are in the roguelike industry. The Dwarf Fortess guy is also a faggot. So anyway which version should I play which has this stuff - I already managed to find .23 and .10 thanks to the people in this thread.

Covenant

Savant
I'd say .14 is the best one for having the majority of the 'good' cut content while still having a decent amount of the worthwhile modern additions. Equipment destruction is still in, but from what I remember it was toned down in that version and really wasn't a big deal so long as you didn't fuck around with monsters that used sticky flame. And they'd renamed a few weapons to stupid names that didn't stick past a couple of versions, but it's a minor annoyance.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Skill system is interesting. You choose between auto and manual and select the skills. I like that skills available to you appear only after you come into contact with a weapon, armor or scroll, etc. That is pretty cool.

I also like the plethora of races and classes with distinct bonuses (I hope playstyles as well). Playing Troll Fighter as my first character, butchering corpses for rations lol.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Also the writing is great, reminds me of old Sirtech and Jeff Vogel

image.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom