Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Good gaming channels on Youtube?

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Sonic X.X! Rots your soul and kills the sonic you should remember.

Borelli

Arcane

I find myself agreeing with every point he makes, games like Thief, SS2, Deus Ex and HL1 all had tutorial levels that are sort of a prologue mission and i enjoyed every single one of them.
At the same time, they allowed for the first level to be vast (Thief and Deus Ex) while the integrated tutorial means that first level is essentially
the tutorial level without any difficulty since part of if will be spent on "crouch under a barrier" and various pop ups.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

I find myself agreeing with every point he makes, games like Thief, SS2, Deus Ex and HL1 all had tutorial levels that are sort of a prologue mission and i enjoyed every single one of them.
At the same time, they allowed for the first level to be vast (Thief and Deus Ex) while the integrated tutorial means that first level is essentially
the tutorial level without any difficulty since part of if will be spent on "crouch under a barrier" and various pop ups.

There is, however, quite a jump in difficulty in Thief from the first mission (Lord Bafford's Manor) to the second one (Cragscleft Prison).
It has loads of Hammerite guards all patrolling the prison hallways and there's not a lot of space to hide, just some dark cells that are open. You also have additional objectives to complete if you are playing on Expert (which you should).
Can be a really tough mission if it is your first time playing it.

Borelli

Arcane
True, but that is the fault of level designers and difficulty spike, something that no amount of tutorials can prepare you for.

Hell Swarm

Educated
Are there any gamer reviewers worth listening to who also review movies or books? I find so many game reviewers only know games and it makes their observations quite shallow. Not some artsy dickhead who can't stop telling you he went to college type. Someone who has more of a personality than video games and making youtube essays.

Silverfish

Arbiter
Depends on what you're looking for. I've been enjoying Young Defiant's stuff for a while now, but he's explicitly a troll channel.

Hell Swarm

Educated
Depends on what you're looking for. I've been enjoying Young Defiant's stuff for a while now, but he's explicitly a troll channel.
A nigger doing a Chad Warden impression? Lame. If you're going to copy an old eceleb at least do El Presidor and be a real troll.

AndyS

Augur
This guy might have come up before. I forget. He reviews classic space games. His voice kind of reminds me of Pete Puma.

Hobknobling

Learned
Are there any gamer reviewers worth listening to who also review movies or books? I find so many game reviewers only know games and it makes their observations quite shallow. Not some artsy dickhead who can't stop telling you he went to college type. Someone who has more of a personality than video games and making youtube essays.
The "scene" definitely could do with a bit of cross-pollination. The problem with books is that it is not a visual medium so getting B-roll for your video is impossible and the problem with movies (and music) is the whole dystopic copyright system YouTube has. I sometimes wonder how big of a driver to the popularity of video games is the fact that you can freely capture video and do whatever you like with it. I feel like both the movie and music industry have kinda shot themselves in the foot by so viciously chasing short-term profits.

I would be surprised if more than 2% of men in their twenties and thirties are serious readers. Most people don't read and when they read, they just read YA genre fiction slop, politically motivated pop science nonsense (Noah Harari, Black Science Man, Hans Rosling and the like) or maybe some barely worthwhile sci-fi classics in the best case scenario.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
You can thank almighty YT algorithm for that - if you put anything that's not the main topic of your channel you can anger&confuse it enough to shadowban you from the traffic.
And people like money so they don't try anything risky.

Hell Swarm

Educated
You can thank almighty YT algorithm for that - if you put anything that's not the main topic of your channel you can anger&confuse it enough to shadowban you from the traffic.
Doesn't need to be additional content on the channel. I'm fed up of shallow game reviewers making huge essays saying nothing and having no personality. It's the problem with an entire generation at this point. Satoshi went out bug collecting and that lead to Pokemon, Pokemon stopped other kids from bug collecting and that leads to sweet fuck all. They only know the stats of a level 52 pikachu and nothing of value can be gained from that. They don't even have the imagination of reading and picturing what's happening in a book. It's underdeveloped and over stimulated manchildren.

Hobknobling

Learned
YouTube is such a pile of garbage. Channels should be able to make separate release lists for their content and I should be able to only subscribe to a particular list if I wanted to. I should also be able to differentiate between my topics of interest and make different subscription views based on that. And before anyone says that you can already do this with RSS: this critique is not about me specifically, but how it impacts the type of content that gets produced. It doesn't matter what a bunch of smelly nerds do if the standard offering is bad.

Basically just introduce features music streaming services like Spotify have with playlists and whatnot.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
I wonder what's going on at one of the oldest and still running review channel on YT-

:hmmm:

GLnWQjXXMAAJ2mu
croisant head

imagine the hooved kabedon

btw thinning hair AVGN fits the character, it's kino. Even if James is dead inside.

Sibelius

Novice
Not sure if already posted, but I really like Aesir Aesthetics, he's a Finnish Youtuber who normally focuses on From Software, going all the way back to Kings Field. Does a lot of story and lore deep dives and also has some really good videos on game design, even has an interview with Chris Avellone on KOTOR 2. Some examples of his work.

Demon's Souls Story

Sekiro 6 Hour playthrough and game design analysis

Chris Avellone KOTOR 2 Interview

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom