Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gotham Knights - open world action-RPG where Batman is dead

Lhynn

Arcane
I'm gonna be the contrarian here, but this game is much better than Arkham. I'm not a fan of Arkham's simplistic ass combat, while Mordor expanded to be fun, the base Arkham series is pretty boring. Here in Gotham Knights I take more active decisions in combat and the combat only keeps getting better the more you play due to abilities etc.. unlocking. And overall I prefer the writing in this to Arkham where everything was so pedestrian, here atleast it's more fun comic book vibes. Performance is horrid though, but I have put over 30 hours here and haven't finished, soon it's gonna pass my playtime from the whole of Arkham trilogy.
World building, level design, music, writing and graphics all seem to have taken a dive, its Amateur Hour: The game.

That said I did find the arkham games combat rather dull, and more variety would be welcome, but I dont play a batman game because of the hand to hand combat, I play it for everything else so im not sure why you are even praising this pos, so much better stuff to spend your time on that it makes no sense to invest hours into this.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm gonna be the contrarian here, but this game is much better than Arkham. I'm not a fan of Arkham's simplistic ass combat, while Mordor expanded to be fun, the base Arkham series is pretty boring. Here in Gotham Knights I take more active decisions in combat and the combat only keeps getting better the more you play due to abilities etc.. unlocking. And overall I prefer the writing in this to Arkham where everything was so pedestrian, here atleast it's more fun comic book vibes. Performance is horrid though, but I have put over 30 hours here and haven't finished, soon it's gonna pass my playtime from the whole of Arkham trilogy.
I'm astonished to hear that someone thinks the combat is better. Arkham was fun because every enemy type except the most basic grunt had moves that simply didn't work on them, forcing the player to constantly observe and adapt. Isn't everything in Knights just button mashing your favorite attacks to whittle down huge hp bars? Not being sarcastic, I'm interested to hear more about what makes it actually good.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
I finally realized I'm getting a GTA-esque experience with it. Like Crackdown. Because here we just have normal, minor crimes around the city. Easily taken care of. This is unlike those fortified ones in Arkham Knight. It's also different from those in Arkham City because these minor crimes involve civilians. Given that it takes very few minutes to hop 150m and take them out, I kinda do it just to save the civilians. Have a little bit of fun.

I'm starting to run into health bloat. That's not good. I like that the game copies elements from Arkham but is fundamentally different (now, different doesn't mean better or worse)... t could probably use

The main difference actually is that you build up a meter by well-timed dodges (and getting hit will not affect anything besides your health)instead of the rather rhythmic pattern of the Arkhams. In fact you can't flip over enemies or fly across the room to smack someone... which is fine because this game doesn't need it while the constant attack/countering of the Arkham games.

That being said, there aren't any "finishing moves" and those would be nice for some of these enemies that have imo too much health and get shit tedious.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Also here's my mod:

Prologue cutscene in 720p (1080p cumming soon). You can actually watch it in game.

Smaller Videos

https://www.nexusmods.com/gothamknights/mods/79

The funny thing is that they uploaded the prologue for you to watch online, after they heard people couldn't watch it in game.

Talk about fucking retardo that my very amateur skills notice that bullshit. The fucking cutscene stored is 2160p. 20 Mbps! And then the engine would have to downscale, and it's clear they never bothered to deal with it. Because they only focused on their new fandangled TAU antialiasing - which is an upscaling method.

Fake edit: I feel like Nikolai Tesla because I mod a lot and this is the first time I've released a mod. I do a lot of shit for myself and then am way too lazy to share it.

Real edit: I could've uploaded them last weekend but lazy lol.

Plot twist: WB killed him as part of the marketing campaign for this game.

Seriously, though, what a fucking shame. He absolutely owned that role. Nobody else came close.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Damn.. it's definitely weird while playing this game because many of the cutscenes have the each of the four come to grips with Bruce's death. Figure out how to pick up after Bruce died in what you could say was the initial stages of the war. Also Jason's still dealing with effects from the Lazarus Pit; surprisingly they had a cutscene about Babs and her photographic memory. Not to mention this being a Detective Comics remix (Tynion/Belfry/Kane/League/Owls). It's fun for a fan of the comics because I don't even feel there is any character or setting non congruity. And I'm very elitist about that already.

Lhynn

Arcane
Everything Tynion is garbage. These arent the characters from the 90s or 2000s, these are the revamped characters and i hate every single one of them.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Everything Tynion is garbage. These arent the characters from the 90s or 2000s, these are the revamped characters and i hate every single one of them.
Dude, all of DC got rebooted/retarded with the New52. Not to mention Rebirth and whatever was in between the two. What do you expect if the editor forces it to happen? Not to mention, what do you expect when Scott Snyder leads Batman? Do you think Tynion would disagree with Snyder? No. Tynion was a former student of Snyder. He was asked to tag along lol.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
I'm astonished to hear that someone thinks the combat is better. Arkham was fun because every enemy type except the most basic grunt had moves that simply didn't work on them, forcing the player to constantly observe and adapt. Isn't everything in Knights just button mashing your favorite attacks to whittle down huge hp bars? Not being sarcastic, I'm interested to hear more about what makes it actually good.
I wouldn't say it's better or worse. Variety is in both. From the first chapter, you're already introduced to the "brute" type, only vulnerable if you break their guard. Then the Talons and then the League will dodge all your attacks unless you stun them with an AOE like a heavy basic ranged attack, or get them Dotted. Since I'm Robin, I like to use my Explosive Decoy, which has been upgraded to deal elemental DoT. BTW I need to build up "momentum" with basic combos and perfect dodging in order to use any ability. I've been running into more gunmen as I play... and right now the League of Shadows has a rocket-launcher minion. I forgot to mention the League can disappear in smoke, meaning the "regular" assassins not only permadodge but also stealth away and then stealth attack you.

I just remembered now there are these "drone controllers" whose drones can shoot at you and you can't interrupt as you would a regular gunmook. You definitely need to stay away from them to maintain stealth lol. Fucking drones.

The irony is that they throw too many of them at you, and many people have turned difficulty down from Hard to Medium. Or even Easy for some of these encounters.

Actually right now I have to fight Manbats. It's not going so well. Not at all.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Okay.. so after I wrote the above... I went to fight Manbat, got him to half health, then the fucking League of Shadow teleports in.

I'll have to search for that video (he literally died by attacking my decoy).

But, man, ninjas with rockets.

TBH the other characters don't seem as interesting... but I haven't given them a chance yet so who knows. Also Robin can toss a projectile and then teleport to it and attack. I've actually used that ability to bypass this one room with a bunch of buzzsaws, as apparently I can warp without a target.

Also elemental effects can freeze even mini-bosses. I almost did that against the Rocketeer (and should've just finished him). But I have a feeling that just partial cold buildup might have slowed him down. I think this can even even affect regular bosses, not that it matters for their bloated fucking health.

Edit: Actually I used that warp kick twice as I killed the last assassin.

Edit 2: The type of difficulty this game has is about memorizing attack patterns and then refining how to react to them.. and to be able to use them when there are multiple enemies with diff attack patterns. So one one hand, it's a predictable game that doesn't really require creativity... on the other it is hard to keep track of and predict multiple enemies, which DOES need some creative tactics.

Last edited:

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Triple post because I don't want to inundate my previous post.

My point is: If it looks good, if it looks bad, it's your decision. I am only showing you as sincerely as possible and I'd rather report facts that opinion.

Edit: Oh shit, I didn't even notice how a single ranged heavy attack froze with just one attack.

Last edited:

Lhynn

Arcane
Dude, all of DC got rebooted/retarded with the New52. Not to mention Rebirth and whatever was in between the two. What do you expect if the editor forces it to happen? Not to mention, what do you expect when Scott Snyder leads Batman? Do you think Tynion would disagree with Snyder? No. Tynion was a former student of Snyder. He was asked to tag along lol.
Tynion is shit, his characterization of everyone he writes is shit, he missed the point with every single character he touches, he isnt innocent, he is the main architect of the reinvention of the batman supporting cast.

He is the worst thing that could have happened to the IP and has done so much damage to everyone around batman that has actually singlehandedly gotten thousands of people off comics. Which is actually a good thing, comics are a lost cause.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Tynion is shit, his characterization of everyone he writes is shit, he missed the point with every single character he touches, he isnt innocent, he is the main architect of the reinvention of the batman supporting cast.

He is the worst thing that could have happened to the IP and has done so much damage to everyone around batman that has actually singlehandedly gotten thousands of people off comics. Which is actually a good thing, comics are a lost cause.
What kind of moron reads shit faithfully?

I don't know most of that stuff because I avoid anything that'll waste my time i.e. not entertaining or fun, e.g. keeping up with mainstream comics not written by a Morrison or a Hickman. I like to re-read. From Hell, several times. Hellblazer, way too much. Sorry but the shit that you talk about I make an effort to avoid.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Best part?

This is the first time I've ever uploaded a mod. (I always tinker on my own and then selfishly keep them lol)
And, yes, this is very basic modding. I haven't even opened Blender or even UEngine. Just extract data tables, modify them, input them. For *.dds importing to *.uasset I just did some hex-editing.

Oh and I just learned hex-editing like a week ago. Once you keep in mind the 24bits between images, you know where the mipmaps are. I actually guessed at DXT5 and succeded. I had been using a DXT1 -> asset guide and thus I think DXT5 or BC5 was necessary for some textures I needed. But keeping in mind those 24bits... I figured the mipmaps were in base lengths of 10 instead of base length 8.

So, yeah, that was my introduction to (editing) binary. Had to do a bunch for Cass ^above^.

Everything else are literally in-game assets that I've been manipulating lol.

1670525472412.jpeg

173-1669864918-555589708.jpg

173-1669653375-1332596394.jpg
Bottom

Last edited:

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Okay this actually is getting kinda hard at the end of New Game Plus. Definitely more a variety in enemies. AND thankfully (it seems) they made the Harder difficulty have better encounters instead of bloated health.

To be perfectly honest - I like this game.. not exactly because it's Batman. I simply love doing silent take-downs.

Also I am going to share another thing I did because holy shit I didn't think I could do it (I've only posted a few of these.. I have actually many more)

Screenshot 2023-01-10 01-07-33.png
Screenshot 2023-01-09 23-33-01.png

Lhynn

Arcane
Thats a lie, its because its Batman.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom