Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Halls of Torment – if Diablo and VS had a beautiful lovechild destined to be its own person!

Gerrard

Arcane
Most of the complaining reviews I see are some variation of "I can no longer beat every stage with my eyes closed and picking random upgrades waaah". Sounds like a skill issue.
The enemy damage buff is questionable though.

Gerrard

Arcane
Cleared first map on Agony mode with archer.

0S3rRis.png

Enemy damage increase is really annoying since it just forces you to build even more towards glass cannon.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t really call this a new genre. It’s basically just a Tower Defense game (specifically one where you control a playable character on the field) where you’re a moving tower and the defense point. It’s like Tower Defense folded into Horde Mode.

This game does seem interested though.

Just Locus

Educated
A Vampire Survivors-inspired game that's actually fun?!

All jokes aside, I've been having a ton of fun playing Halls of Torment, it scratches that rare itch of being relaxing and engaging.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Is it just me, or is the Cleric a wee bit... overpowered?

9F798FC671C5C6A4E8892EE0BF9A32AFF8192077

I mean, it kills all the boss in seconds (including the final lord)... Kinda dependant on getting the right levelups, I guess. But still...

Deus Vult?

Elttharion

Learned
Damn, this game is unironically great. It might be my favorite in this genre (?). I played only 10 hours so far, cleared all levels, unlocked all characters, and cleared the first two on agony. Its relatively easy but quite fun. Some things I would like to see are affixes, some random events waves, a way to combine skills and itens with more interesting effects. That and more content of course. Considering I dont have much time in the game its possible I could still need to unlock some of those tho.

Exterminator is really fun, buffing attack speed turns his flamethrower into a flamethrowing machine gun.

:timetoburn:

Elttharion

Learned
What's the difference between this and VS anyway? Basically what makes it more like Diablo and not just another survivors clone?
Presentation is a big part of it. Skills, characters, itemization, effects, enemies, art style etc. Also you have more control of your character, you can disable auto aim and auto attack for your main/default weapon. The skills you pick up during the run are still automatic tho.

Gerrard

Arcane
I didn't even know you can't fucking AIM your attacks in VS, holy shit. Zoomers are a disease.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I didn't even know you can't fucking AIM your attacks in VS, holy shit. Zoomers are a disease.
VS you just run your guy around and pick stuff up. It's basically like Robotron except instead of a stick to move and a stick to shoot, you only worry about moving and all your attacks fire off on a set interval and direction based on the type of attack. For the most part, there's no aiming, even automated, at all.

VS you just run your guy around and pick stuff up. It's basically like Robotron except instead of a stick to move and a stick to shoot, you only worry about moving and all your attacks fire off on a set interval and direction based on the type of attack. For the most part, there's no aiming, even automated, at all.

Aiming and shooting kind of is a big part of the twin stick shooter Robotron 2084.

That’s why I see this Vampire Survivors as an iteration on Tower Defense. You basically are a self firing moving tower taking on larger and larger waves of enemies and leveling up your “tower” with new attacks and upgrades. Even if it did function like a twin stick shooter the Tower Defense aspect would still be there, but it’s even stronger when you take away the player’s ability to aim and fire themselves. You could take the exact same style of game as Vampire Survivor and map it onto something like Defense Grid, carry over all the Defense Grid attacks, and I doubt anyone would have a problem seeing it as a different style of Tower Defense game.

mediocrepoet

Patron

Aiming and shooting kind of is a big part of the twin stick shooter Robotron 2084.

Yes. Well, not aiming, really, but yes. ;)

That’s why I see this Vampire Survivors as an iteration on Tower Defense. You basically are a self firing moving tower taking on larger and larger waves of enemies and leveling up your “tower” with new attacks and upgrades. Even if it did function like a twin stick shooter the Tower Defense aspect would still be there, but it’s even stronger when you take away the player’s ability to aim and fire themselves. You could take the exact same style of game as Vampire Survivor and map it onto something like Defense Grid, carry over all the Defense Grid attacks, and I doubt anyone would have a problem seeing it as a different style of Tower Defense game.

... No. You lose me here every time you say this. :lol: I mean, you can keep repeating it, but it's an insane analogy to me. I make comparisons a lot of people find weird often too, so more power to you, but I don't see it.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Played a shitton more, and by now I think I am pretty done. It is good.

The main problem with the thing is the thing itself. There is only so much you can do with a concept like this. I think there would need to be something radically different to add any real "longevity" to a game in this "genre". In VS you could go really, really absurd with the end-game overpoweredness. That is fun for a moment.

But there is a limit to how many enemies you can fit to the screen before the game ceases to be a game at all. And due to the diversity of the characters, it is very hard to make challenging maps that still fit all play styles.

Solid 20 hours of fun for five bucks, it isn't bad. But I think this is probably the limit for me.

mediocrepoet

Patron
Oh man.
I was skeptical, but figured I may as well check it out. It's Diablo x Smash TV if you keep manual aiming but set up auto attack and play it like a twin stick shooter.

It's the game I wanted Vampire Survivors to be. I meant to spin it up just to check out the beginning and ended up playing it for over 3 hours. FML :mixedemotions:

9-10/10 for simple arcade style games. Excellent.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
he main problem with the thing is the thing itself. There is only so much you can do with a concept like this. I think there would need to be something radically different to add any real "longevity" to a game in this "genre".
Someone should make it a battle arena game like the old battleships map on WC3. It's basically 5v5 with this style of attack and control, except obviously less overpowered and you have more control over your upgrades, aquired by selecting upgrades (weapons, armour, regen, speed, etc.) from a shop.

Gerrard

Arcane
The new update added 2 new character, the Sage doesn't have a main weapon and instead you can choose an ability that becomes your main weapon and benefits from all the main weapon bonuses.
This of course enables interesting results.

8fLhSjX.jpeg

Oh yeah, and the brofist ability.
uQKWvpZ.jpeg

The new stage was kinda easy though, I guess the dev was afraid of people crying again.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom