Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Hammer & Sickle demo on 3DGamers

Jinxed

Liturgist
Call me chinese but I don't understand what you are saying.

Balor

Arcane
Well, I'm trying to say that Russian salaries are about 15 times smaller, you chinese communist pig! :)
So, what 9$ for me - about 140 for more "developed countries".
Sad but true.

Jinxed

Liturgist
It's pretty similiar over here in Poland. We do get major discounts on homegrown products though, for example Painkiller costs like 5$ (cheaper than a pirate copy) while it was 50$ on release elsewhere.

What bugs me is that more often english versions are from import, so the prices are steep. You can wait a while and buy a translated version usually for half the price. Yeah, I know, it's normal, costs are pretty low when you have the license but they could buy the license to manufacture english versions as well.

dunduks

Liturgist
Jinxed said:
It's pretty similiar over here in Poland.
Why don't you buy Russian version then? I think it would be pretty easy to get in Polland and more cost effective :wink:

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Yup, Balor is quite right about the costs in general. You have to bear in mind that in Russia and most of post soviet countries (as Latvia where I'm from) the average income for an average person is a LOT smaller than in USA and western Europe, so the local distributors would sell nothing if they priced the games accordingly to the prices in western countries. Don't know about Poland as I never been there.

I still don't get why imported orignal boxed games (non localized) in my country cost as mutch as they would cost in USA, because only very welthy gamers could afford to buy those. An average boxed version in Latvia are way too expensive for an average people hence the widely spread piratism and p2p'ism.

I think that Russians are in a way better postion because there are several big companies who buy licences and localize games for them and sell them for cut prices. I bought H&S only because it is russian game originally and I understand the language well, but I never buy russian versions of english speaking games as long as they're not bundeled with english version.

Jinxed

Liturgist
I would say the average cost of games in Poland hovers around 30$. With high pricing or even higher than US on blockbuster titles, such as GTA, Quake 4 etc. Importing never works out if the countries minimal wage is low. Shipping costs, taxes and what not all add to the price, and if it was high to begin with there is no way you can sell for less unless you want to bankrupt. The polish tax system is retarded as well, basically, you can't get a refund on anything. The last thing left this year is house renovation, which will be taken off in 2006.

GrudgeHolder

Novice
dunduks said:
Why don't you buy Russian version then? I think it would be pretty easy to get in Polland and more cost effective :wink:

'S what I did, only to find out that StarForce crashes my system with unerring regularity. So instead of H&S I'm currently roleplaying tech support with the devs at starforce.com :(
And as for being cost-effective, yeah, pretty much so, but if you order over the Internet and don't want to share your credit card data, you end up wiring money to a bank account in Germany, which adds some extra charges. Still, I paid something like 30 USD for H&S and FlatOut. Good value.

dunduks

Liturgist
GrudgeHolder said:
So instead of H&S I'm currently roleplaying tech support with the devs at starforce.com :(
Starfoce is as bad as that freaky Sony rootkit, when will companies cease this "overprotection", I have nothing against copy protection, unless it's intrusive and can pose a threat my PC.

Jinxed

Liturgist
Many of the items such as ammo, grenades and guns were extremely small in size. I often had a hard time trying to pick up items that were packed together in lockers, and on the ground. Many times I had to zoom in as far as I could go in order to distinguish what was what.

That's why you can press and hold ATL and select the on screen name of the item. Or use the loot option, but I'm guessing he's talking about this during battles. He wrote a couple of things about the buggyness that no one has mentioned yet. Weird.

Stark

Liturgist
Sorry to say I really didn’t find any. Continuous issues with invisible guards, guards that only showed character state icons and no bodies, and random deaths for no reason was enough for me to truly hate this game.

i think it is intentional. in SS you would see the "ear" icon that tell you that an enermy is suspected to be in the vicinity. it doesn't mean the enermy stays put. they would have moved on. i get the feeling the reviewer is not playing the game right.

Screaming_life

Liturgist
Stark said:
Sorry to say I really didn’t find any. Continuous issues with invisible guards, guards that only showed character state icons and no bodies, and random deaths for no reason was enough for me to truly hate this game.

i think it is intentional. in SS you would see the "ear" icon that tell you that an enermy is suspected to be in the vicinity. it doesn't mean the enermy stays put. they would have moved on. i get the feeling the reviewer is not playing the game right.

Aye, the icon shows where you last heard the sound... and random deaths is probably from bleeding or something...

Balor

Arcane
Oh, and that:
"The problem I ran into was that the computer would not reset my APs, and I would have to go through several rounds of inaction while I helplessly got killed."
He just got overloaded.
An other stupid review. H&S seem to be like a magnet for them or something :roll:

Jinxed

Liturgist
I'm not sure if that's all to the invisible guards. When the ear icon appears, a red character shadow is also present which he made no mention of.

I mentioned bugs that I got in another thread, but I'll do that here as well.

On the prison map incoming soldiers got stuck on the large gate you need to pass to get inside the prison. They kept opening and closing it throughout their entire turn, which at that point became very long. It lasted 10 turns, until I threw a couple of grenades over the opened door from the other side and killed them.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
This thread made me reinstall silent storm. Funny thing now is that I noticed some of the missions playing out different then before. New starting position, other story at start of mission (in one the germans attacked the house, now I had to fight english guards believing I'm a spy), etc. Quite fun. It also runs alot smoother after the 1.2 patch.

Though I still suck at the game, I'm gonna be spending quite some time with it. Well, untill hammer & sickle is out. :wink:

dunduks

Liturgist
Jinxed said:
I'm not sure if that's all to the invisible guards. When the ear icon appears, a red character shadow is also present which he made no mention of.
He might have been shot by enemy sniper, sometimes they hide very well and it takes some time to figure out where they are shooting from. Also, if you are critically wounded you lose your APs, besides all of the conditions are explained in the manual.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom