Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Hibernaculum - sci-fi survival horror dungeon crawler from Wormwood Studios' Victor Pflug

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hibernaculumgame/hibernaculum-survival-horror-rpg/posts/3761444

Halfway to the 2nd GOAL + NEXT STRETCH GOAL SNEAK PEAK​

OMFG!! YOU GUYS ROCK - 145% FUNDED, 1st GOAL MET!! O_0 WE HAVE A RIO + the 2nd Map has been added to the limited edition box set. o_0

daa23b48061732d537ba14ae7dbe4e49_original.gif
Good Boy!!
Now we are currently pushing towards our 2nd GOAL; this will get us to the Switch Release + Mausoleum Event, including a Mini Boss + Backer Only Grenade Launcher Weapon.

d4d1debc83b9cdb6185a5560595ffdc4_original.png
Switch Release + Mausoleum Event, Including Mini Boss + Backer Only Grenade Launcher Weapon

We have some details to share about the 3rd goal 150K (Approx 100K USD) at this stage we will input Shield Mechanics/Stats + Backers only Wayfarer Shield + Wayfarer Boom Stick & Wayfarer Boot Gun (Ash vs Mutants? o_0)

4f4b8028dd44667a13ab750ed9cac753_original.png
Shield Mechanic + Backers only Wayfinder Shield + Wayfinder Boom Weapons
More stretch goal details will be announced when we hit the 120K goal!

Go team, you guys are keeping us pumping even harder now that we can talk shop in our Discord, if you haven't already, head on over to Discord (link in backer only update) & Join the other 200 or so strong in our backer only conversations.

Thank you - Hiber HQ

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hibernaculumgame/hibernaculum-survival-horror-rpg/posts/3762287

Shields​

bdda8ec47f0d1d6c744304ece5bbe9df_original.png

Part of Stretch Goal #3(100k USD) is the full implementation of shields as an equippable defensive item/game mechanic in Hibernaculum.

These would work as do shields in Eye of the Beholder/Lands of Lore; whereby if you choose single handed melee combat (or single handed ranged weapons) an offhand may be equipped* with a shield for Defence bonuses.

+1 Basic Shields are cobbled together from metal plates and provide a minor Defence bonus

+2 Shields - Autoshields have automated plates that react to incoming missiles and reposition the shield plates to best deflect incoming rounds

+3 Shields - Energy Barrier Shields are exceedingly rare and work by creating a dynamic energetic barrier of exited nanoparticles partially surrounding the user

*High tier CAPS systems will allow players to equip a shield even with a pistol or pipe in each hand; with the CAPS arm wielding the shield

c928d915bdb0aaf49df441cd4969f806_original.png

Boomstick! https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hibernaculumgame/hibernaculum-survival-horror-rpg/posts/3762968

Wayfarer's Guns + Autoshield​

a9c252306564bf8f0ffde3a4c57e8fcb_original.png

Backer Exclusive Weapons + Shield (@ Stretch Goal #3 - 100k USD)

Wayfarer's Boot-Gun (miniature dual barrel pistol)

Wayfarer's Boomstick (autoloader shotgun)

Wayfarer's Autoshield +2

6e3197f3650e9033490c4151afa1bc83_original.png

Stretch Goal #4 180k AUD (120k USD) Sneak Peek;

(Wayfarer's Outfit + Equipment Completed)

38d12fce96088c014d8ceee699a3fec0_original.png
Stretch Goal #4 180k AUD (120k USD) Sneak Peek

baba is you

Educated
Victor Pflug

First of all, congratulations on the success of your Kickstarter. To cut to the chase, Dungeon Master-inspired games have an inherent drawback.
The combat system always asks the player to dance, this problem is especially visible in areas with 2x2 movement.

Many Dungeon Master-inspired games have tried to fix this shortcoming, but they haven't solved the underlying problem.
Perhaps we can expect improvements to the combat system in this game?

Also, while Wizardry and Might and Magic are all about puzzles, FTL's DM and Westwood's EoB are more puzzle-centric than those games.
So I think it's important to have fun and varied puzzles rather than combat. :)

Victor Pflug

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Victor Pflug

First of all, congratulations on the success of your Kickstarter. To cut to the chase, Dungeon Master-inspired games have an inherent drawback.
The combat system always asks the player to dance, this problem is especially visible in areas with 2x2 movement.

Many Dungeon Master-inspired games have tried to fix this shortcoming, but they haven't solved the underlying problem.
Perhaps we can expect improvements to the combat system in this game?

Also, while Wizardry and Might and Magic are all about puzzles, FTL's DM and Westwood's EoB are more puzzle-centric than those games.
So I think it's important to have fun and varied puzzles rather than combat. :)
The amount of thought I have put into kiting, turn based gameplay vs real time - the sheer colume of advancements I'm proposing vs the maount of time I have to asnwer questions can be summed up in two ways;

1) Infinitron Rocks

2) I gotta go make a game

Peace!

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Victor Pflug

there's a very obvious solution to this problem

it fixes it in a single stroke, in fact

Last edited:

Harthwain

Magister
Victor Pflug

You're right - just fix a player to the spot until combat is resolved.

And, as a form of compensation, give him a retreat button. With two drawbacks: 1) escape path is random AND 2) you have to suffer an attack of opportunity each time you retreat.

baba is you

Educated
Victor Pflug

You're right - just fix a player to the spot until combat is resolved.

And, as a form of compensation, give him a retreat button. With two drawbacks: 1) escape path is random AND 2) you have to suffer an attack of opportunity each time you retreat.
As far as I know, there have been similar attempts in the recent past - The Fall of the Dungeon Guardians is a good example. The combat system heavily penalizes gamers for dancing.

However, the combat in that game felt a bit MMO-like, and the puzzles seemed to be fewer than in Grimrock, so I didn't finish it.

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
Guess what else is a stretch goal
joe mama

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hibernaculumgame/hibernaculum-survival-horror-rpg/posts/3763079

SURPRISE!!!​

As recognition/appreciation for your support we have decided to call it early - Hibernaculum will now be released in full on the Nintendo Switch upon release of all other versions (PC, Max, Linux) Q3 2025.

3834704ebe63b0b3681c9cd9fd220481_original.png

All other stretch goals will remain the same, however we will also strive to include some extras from the stretch goal list we know you all really want - regardless of which stretch goals we make it to.

Thank you all SO much for your support - this campaign has been an incredible experience and yeah - look forward to meeting you all aboard Ship!

Be seeing you ;)

lightbane

Arcane
Assuming Switch is still a thing by then, instead of being replaced by the SwitchTwo or whatever Nintendo has cooked up by the time the game is out.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Assuming Switch is still a thing by then, instead of being replaced by the SwitchTwo or whatever Nintendo has cooked up by the time the game is out.
The next Nintendo console would likely retro-compatible with the games released on the current Switch, so that won't likely be that big on an issue

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM
A horror retro Dungeon crawler inspired by Metamorphosis Alpha, HR Giger, et al? I pledged yesterday and for the artbook too!

We need more rpgs with creative premises like this. I’m sick of the bazillion interchangeable Tolkien clones

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
However, the combat in that game felt a bit MMO-like, and the puzzles seemed to be fewer than in Grimrock, so I didn't finish it.
The Fall of the Dungeon Guardians is the worst dungeon crawler I've ever witnessed. At the time the developer was shilling his shit on a FB page called dungeon crawlers butthurts.

I immediately went there to tell him how shitty his WoW combat abomination was, and asked him to never touch the genre again. Obviously they blocked me, but it was worth it.

It was the least I could do for my wasted few hours.

baba is you

Educated
The Fall of the Dungeon Guardians is the worst dungeon crawler I've ever witnessed. At the time the developer was shilling his shit on a FB page called dungeon crawlers butthurts.

I immediately went there to tell him how shitty his WoW combat abomination was, and asked him to never touch the genre again. Obviously they blocked me, but it was worth it.

It was the least I could do for my wasted few hours.
Yeah, the combat is very MMO-ish and I really didn't like it. Maybe one day I'll see the good in it, but I don't know when that will be.:M

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hibernaculumgame/hibernaculum-survival-horror-rpg/posts/3769712

2nd Stretch Goal Cleared!!!​

This is obviously, awesome. More funds to make Hibernaculum = bigger + better game faster and I think we can all hive five this milestone pretty hard right now.

I'd also like to take a moment to allay any fears over particular stretch goal rewards that you might have a personal affinity for - we will be doing our best to include everything you all want in the base game regardless of goals met & while we can't promise the moon - obviously a Ship to fly there with many extra trimmings is now certainly on the cards. ;)

We will be holding several rounds of voting to determine which extras we all REALLY want out of any that may fall by the wayside after this final push. However I'm highly confident - you've all proven exemplary backers and supporters of this project and I see no reason why this final 30 hours won't be as excellently surprising & powerfully encouraging as the lead up and entire campaign has been thus far. I loved making Hiber with a small team but now making it with all of you on board is just THAT much more exiting. I personally cannot wait to get back into the development proper. There is much to do, and much I want to show you all.

Be seeing you all aboard Ship ;)

b3ca257f7c067cdfd179f15e58d44e94_original.png

Skorpion

Educated
shill shill shill your way to posts, merrily invest and shill my investment joke

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom