Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Hollow Knight

The Traitor Lord used to be more of a pushover but got beefed up in some update and now deals two points of damage per hit. Sharp Shadow is the easiest way to beat him.
IIRC he is an optional boss. All the main bosses are very easy. Optional content is more difficult.

He's technically optional, but only if you want the worst ending, otherwise you need to kill him to get the Kingsoul.

Elwro Having Cloth present and getting the Pure Nail make Traitor Lord a lot easier. I personally don't find Sharp Shadow to be that useful for the fight, but if you have the notches to spare might as well go ahead. But for what it's worth I think Colosseum is way easier than Traitor Lord.

---

Arcane
Combining Sharp Shadow and Dash Master increases the length and the damage of the Shadow Dash.

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Finally got around to playing this, had a blast. Didn't do everything in the base game, just got the worst ending, leaving the Kingsoul one for later, as well as the Grimm DLC. Won't touch the boss rush DLC, seems a bit too aspie for my taste.

Anyway anyone following the development of the sequel? HK came ou 2017, is the sequel in a dev hell?

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
HK came ou 2017, is the sequel in a dev hell?

Small team trying to create the sequel to one of the best indie games in the last decade with ravenous fans waiting for a release that can't come close to the expectations they've build up in their mind. Also, the devs probably got so much money from HK that they don't need to release as fast as possible.

So, yeah, could be dev hell with them changing back and forth like a certain kickstarter RPG with a visual identity problem or the game might be even bigger than HK (and HK was already massive) and just take a long time

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Well it's not like I have nothing to play but after HK the sequel is definitely in my Top 5 of most anticipated gaymz. I'd LOVE to play it rn, when I'm in a metroidvania mood but alas.

I've already played Ori 1, Ori 2 and HK, anything else to recommend? I've tried to follow Steam's recommended list but it's giving me stuff like Rogue Legacy and Dead Cells and I'm not a big fan of procedurally generated roguelikes, I much prefer the handcrafted level design of metroidvanias. Also no anime plz, if at all possible.

Well it's not like I have nothing to play but after HK the sequel is definitely in my Top 5 of most anticipated gaymz. I'd LOVE to play it rn, when I'm in a metroidvania mood but alas.

I've already played Ori 1, Ori 2 and HK, anything else to recommend? I've tried to follow Steam's recommended list but it's giving me stuff like Rogue Legacy and Dead Cells and I'm not a big fan of procedurally generated roguelikes, I much prefer the handcrafted level design of metroidvanias. Also no anime plz, if at all possible.

There’s no Metroidvania out there better than HK. Metroid Dread is probably the best recent one that I’ve played. Grime is… okay if you can stomach the Prosperous art design.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
There’s no Metroidvania out there better than HK.

Ori 2 is on the level of HK in my book, a great game as well.

Looking at this list now: https://www.gamespot.com/articles/metroidvania-best-games-like-metroid/1100-6499170/

The ones that potentially interest me are: Blasphemous, Salt&Sanctuary (apparently there's a sequel coming out in a few days), Guacamelee 1/2, SteamWorld Dig 1/2, Yoku's Island Express and Axiom Verge 1/2.

Anyone can thumb those up or down? I don't expect them to be better than HK or Ori 2 but I don't mind playing something worse but still fun.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Yoku's Island is pretty great but very unique in terms of how it controls (its a fusion of flipper and 2d movement)
Axiom Verge 1 is great, especially if you like the original Metroid on the NES but with better graphics and its own story. Bosses are easy though
Blasphemous is pretty good too, tougher than most metroidvania with lots of stuff to discover
Guacamelee is great but one of those with quirky humor and a more beat'em up inspired fighting system with combos and stuff
Salt & Sanctuary is basically a 2d Dark Souls that has a world that has metroidvania-qualities, but I don't consider it one. Visuals are unique and not everyone likes those
SteamWorld Dig is often characterized as a metroidvania but I have no idea why. It's not a bad game per se, but if you expect a metroidvania you'll be disappointed

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron

Metroid Dread with Ryujinx.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
The ones that potentially interest me are: Blasphemous, Salt&Sanctuary (apparently there's a sequel coming out in a few days), Guacamelee 1/2, SteamWorld Dig 1/2, Yoku's Island Express and Axiom Verge 1/2.

Anyone can thumb those up or down? I don't expect them to be better than HK or Ori 2 but I don't mind playing something worse but still fun.
Blasphemous is a 10/10 in terms of art, atmosphere, and presentation, but doesn't hold up in terms of gameplay. There are (very) good bits, but they're hidden behind chunks of mediocre content. If excellent art is enough for you to enjoy a game, definitely give it a try.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Ok bought Blasphemous, Guacamelee 2, SteamWorld Dig 2, The Messenger (a friend's tip). They're all 2-5 bucks on key shops, crazy.

Forgot I already have Salt&Sanctuary and Yoku's Island. Probably got them for free somewhere, weird.

Guessing I'm gonna burn out on metroidvanias half-way through all those but hey, as long as I'm having fun....

Salt and Sanctuary is great, but calling it a Metroidvania is misleading; as others have said 2D platforming Dark Souls is more accurate.
I found Blasphemous underwhelming, but it’s not terrible.
Axiom Verge is really good, but takes way too long to get going.
Steamworld Digs are okay but definitely not Metroidvanias. Not really any point in playing the first one, 2 is strictly superior.
Haven’t played the others.

Last edited:

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Blasphemous at least had nice secrets and something of a style. It's certainly worth trying, though it doesn't hold a candle to HK.

HansDampf

Arcane
Metroid Dread is annoying with too many cinematic action crap, time wasting loading sequences, and half-baked stealth.
Axiom Verge 1 is mediocre in almost every way.
The Messenger I can recommend at least for one playthrough.
Environmental Station Alpha is a "hidden gem" if you can stomach the pixel graphics, with La-Mulana-esque optional secrets.

oasis789

Arcane

aquaria

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Too bad salt sequel is locked behind epic prison

piracy.png
and if you feel bad about it you can buy it when it comes out on Steam

---

Arcane
Not a side-scrolling, like most metroidvanias, but Unsighted is pretty funcking good in terms of non-linearity, power-ups and difficulty.
Some [minor] sjw contents, beware. The story is entirely ignorable, anyway, like in the majority of metroidvanias (skip skip skip cutscene).

Yoku's Island is nice, but it's very easy and short. If you don't have any other things to do...

Last edited:
Oh cvv theres also Bloodstained. It’s a very mixed bag, with the difficulty curve being most notably completely fucked, but it has some decent parts, and if you’re starved for more Metroidvanias it will pass the time. I wouldn’t pay more than $15 for it though.

ferratilis

Magister
Other than the ones already mentioned, I had a lot of fun with Strider and Shadow Complex, and those are not usually recommended. Check them out if you get a chance.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom