Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Horror games for the season (and beyond)

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Been playing Doctor Hauzer, that Japanese-exclusive 3DO survival horror title that got an English translation a while back. Its...not really a survival horror game, its more like a predecessor of Alone in the Dark even if it came out afterwards. It has the looks and controls, but you don't fight anyone, and nobody's attacked me yet. Its all bizarre death traps. So a horror adventure game. Except it hasn't really been spooky beyond there being death traps in this game, and the over the top music. Its not really that good as an adventure game either, since all the puzzles are some flavor of "pick the right object without knowing what the answer could possibly be or die". Also, there's platforming and its worse than you'd think.
It does have some nice elements. As the game is truly 3D, you can choose if you get "survival horror angels" a top-down view or a first-person view. Uh...that's actually all the nice things I have to say about it. The story's okay, but the way the game is written is awful, dunno if that's the original or the translation. The main character makes these awful facial expressions whenever he dies or something bad happens and I can't believe a grown man looked at this and said it was okay.

Puukko

Arcane
Ended up watching a friend play Fatal Frame 5 instead of playing it myself. There's definitely some cool stuff in here, but also lots of popamole casualization.

+ cute girls with physics simulation and wet shirt mechanics. Important!
+ neat additions to the gameplay with camera rotation, multiple lock on points for extra damage, new chain shot mechanic and so on
+ investigation aspect with backstory given as motivation for the characters
+ creative animations for enemies, they flail and stumble around a lot
+ doll shrine

+- can use points to stock up on items inbetween missions. Handy but does diminish the survival aspect

- lots of handholding and in general taking away control from the player to force them to do something or look somewhere
- Witcher senses
- loud and flashy combat making it more arcadey. Ghosts also glow a lot
- oOoOoOoo random ghost hand grabs you!
- loads you with good film. 2 and 3 were often too stingy with it but here it's being given out like candy
- can be tense and spooky but decidedly less scary overall due to these factors

I'm looking into trying out 4 myself. I couldn't get the 60 fps patch to play nice unfortunately and I haven't confirmed that the gyro on my DS5 is working correctly yet, but based on the gameplay I've seen recently, this looks more promising than I initially thought.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
This is the scariest game I've played in 20 years of loving psychological horror. It's just a walking simulator with a filter. But I am telling you, it wrecked my shit in ways that only certain moments of SH2 ever got close to. It's quite short.

Please enjoy.

https://kittyhorrorshow.itch.io/anatomy
TREE DORRA
I also want to say that it isn't that it's ‘not scary’, but I'm an experienced nightmare vore victim and this is like ez mode. And also indishit of course. tho if i were a little boy it'd be pretty cool i guess

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
I finished Doctor Hauzer. That was surprising...it took me sometime in the vicinity of 2 hours. If I had purchased this, I would have been enraged, but since I didn't, it was okay. It did have a few clever ideas and a fairly interesting story. I can't say its all that appealing unless you want a mildly interesting horror game or are interested in pre-Resident Evil survival horror games. Felt a heck of a lot like the bare minimum a survival horror game could be though.

Puukko

Arcane
Some early Fatal Frame 4 thoughts... Damn, this game took me by surprise. You can tell it's a different director (Suda51) by the shift in tone and scares. If I had to use a single word, I'd call the game unpredictable. Not in the same way that 3 was as that game used many ways to screw with the player, but more in the way that it doesn't follow the same rhythm that I'm used to. The ghost designs are considerably scarier this time around and holy shit are they aggressive. My heart was pounding due to how fast many of them were.

I am not nearly as bothered by the lack of fixed camera angles as I thought I was going to be. The controls are interesting to be sure. I'm using a Dualsense with a preconfigured mapping profile and it works fairly well, though with a learning curve. Most notably, aiming up or down while using the camera is completely tied to gyro, while right and left are on the thumbstick. Up and down on the stick shuffles the character forward and backward. So it's this hybrid control scheme that's not exactly intuitive, combined with ghosts who lunge at you at mach speed. Now I have zero practical experience with the actual Wii hardware so I don't exactly have a touch on all the ways the motion controls could be bound to buttons to make it the best it can be for this game. I like having the quick turn bound to L3 since I think it requires some sort of wiggling motion normally. Combined with the series staple one button run forward, movement is pretty smooth. RE4 has something similar to my understanding.

Whether this game is playable without any gyro controls... I can't quite say. Maybe with some really creative button binds. It's getting a remake so that question will be moot in the near future.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
The passage from "fixed" camera to over the shoulder camera removed a lot of the scariness of these games, in my opinion.

You can check this effect directly on the same game: FF2. The PS2/XBOX version of FF2 uses "fixed" camera, while Wii version has over the shoulder camera.

That said, I played FF4 mapping the camera and flashlight movements to the mouse. It is intuitive and relatively easy in this way.

BTW, FF4 is receiving the remake treatment with an official English version this time, so for the people who hasn't played it, maybe it is worth waiting? I don't know, but FF4 is already in the popamole era (over the shoulder camera and QTEs are hints of that), so I don't think this remake will be worse than the original, from the point of view of the scariness and gameplay...

Puukko

Arcane
I watched gameplay of the Wii version of 2 and that definitely was made worse by the free camera, which is why I was surprised how little it bothered me in 4. The first person mode in the Xbox version would be cool to try out for sure but it doesn't emulate well enough for me to bother.

I also want to meet the person responsible for the ghost hand QTE in these later entries, and hear his gigabrain explanation for how it's supposed to make the game better.

Puukko

Arcane
Is Phasmophobia and Devour worth playing solo?
They're very reliant on you having a party. Phasmophobia may have a solo angle to it but that means sticking to smaller maps and you'll have lots of tools to carry around. But being a solo ghost detective may be cool. Devour probably isn't worth trying out solo, you'll be carrying tons of items around and it's balanced under the assumption someone will get incapacitated.

Is Phasmophobia and Devour worth playing solo?
They're very reliant on you having a party. Phasmophobia may have a solo angle to it but that means sticking to smaller maps and you'll have lots of tools to carry around. But being a solo ghost detective may be cool. Devour probably isn't worth trying out solo, you'll be carrying tons of items around and it's balanced under the assumption someone will get incapacitated.

Yeah, that's what I figured, even though I've read stuff online that they're scarier if you play them by yourself.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Been playing Ecstatica, that weird-looking survival horror game after Alone in the Dark but before Resident Evil. If you've seen it, you probably know it as the game where everything is some kind of sphere. Its interesting, at first glance its just some awkward mid-90s game that got forgotten, except you spend most of the game running away from a werewolf. But as I've been playing it, I've found that it actually works. There's quite a bit in the game that's outright comedy, which means that the game isn't shifting from horror to goofy like the Alone in the Dark games did, as much as leaning from horror to the comedic parts. I haven't gotten far yet, but so far its been interesting.

Puukko

Arcane
And just as October closes, I am done with Fatal Frame IV. It has enough annoyances for me to rate it a bit below the previous two games, but it's still very good and worth playing. I wouldn't necessarily recommend going through the hoops of emulating it now when the remake isn't too far off, though.

In terms of scariness, I'd rate it about on par with 3, and thus above 2. Their approaches are different though. Where 3 relies a lot on subtle cues and dread, 4 is up at your face and loud. VERY LOUD, in fact, forcing me to play it with volume down because it can go from 0 to 100 fast. I also found it to get somewhat less scary over time though to some extend that is to be expected since as you get more comfortable with the controls, you don't feel as helpless. The main thing keeping the ghosts scary in this one was how fast they could be, forcing you to stay on your toes. Which leads to the gameplay...

At its best, the gameplay is more or less on par with 3's. However, there are some notable changes. Tracking ghosts through walls is much easier now, perhaps too much so, but this also means you may lose lockon at an inopportune time or get quite literal tunnel vision. I also got frustrated by the lack of easy target switching at times. The dude, Choushirou, is a better addition than whatshisface in 3 because he's not just a worse version of an existing character. He uses a flashlight that is charged up and slows enemies in its cone. So he's all about getting up close to multiple ghosts and blasting them at once. It's a simple loop that probably had more to it than I got to experience...

The reason for that being balance, which is uneven. They've changed how you upgrade your weapon of choice. Whereas before you would get points from landing good shots and then spend those same points on both camera and lens upgrades, you now get those different sorts of crystals for each. The points in turn are spent at save points to buy film and healing items. And this whole change is for the worse. Out of the three actual playable characters, only Ruka, who got the most screentime, had a balance of both crystals. Misaki and Choushirou never had enough blue crystals for the camera in particular. Choushirou got shafted extra hard because by the time I finished his last chapter, I had maybe a third of his flashlight upgrades while he had an overabundance of red crystals but no lenses to spend them on. His only combat lens I found didn't even use orbs so he sat at 3/3 for the whole game. I can only wonder how much his gameplay would be improved on subsequent playthroughs with more upgrades because as it is he didn't really get to shine.

The points and thus consumables, meanwhile, are way too plentiful. I had no idea what to spend half of my points on and that was after stocking up on more than I could use. I actually made it to chapter 3 before I found out I could spend my points that way, before which I was seriously hurting for consumables and was scouring to find a single healing dust. So not using the points to buy stuff isn't really viable either. Just take half my points away and give me way more blue crystals and that'll solve most of the balance problems in one swoop.

Other gameplay gripes have to deal with the mechanics. I mentioned earlier that the ghosts in this can be FAST. This is fine on its own, but many of them also teleport a lot. On one boss fight near the end game with multiple targets, I ran circles and just watched them spawn in and out for less than 2 seconds at a time, in addition to me being unable to reliably switch to the smaller kid ghosts while they'd lunge at me. It was hectic as hell but not very fun at all and I burned through so much healing. That fight epitomized all the gameplay issues this game has pretty damn well. On the other hand, ghosts in this have less health and if you manage to land a fatal frame, they're dead...er. Assuming you didn't land it just a little too late, where the reticule still indicated you landed a shot, but the ghost actually managed to grab you and you get to wiggle the controller around like a retard. Happened to me so, so many times.

I was about to compliment the game for not padding itself out with the same unique ghosts as much as 3 in particular, but it did get pretty damn silly towards the end so it doesn't quite deserve that award.

The story was interesting enough though the cutscenes and notes could get repetitive. The setting was a change for the better after enough Japanese mansions. Misaki is best girl with best design and this is not up for debate.

Some technical details. The fan translation was pretty good though with occasional typos and weird phrasing. Dolphin struggled a bit more with the game than I expected, and I would get a couple seconds of stutter at the beginning of cutscenes. Can't say how much of that was due to the HD pack though. Said HD pack was solid but it clearly missed a number of textures. The gyro controls stayed a bit awkward throughout and the piano puzzles were pretty comical. Here, play this tune on time, but you're severely drunk.

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Playing through Evil Within 2 and liking it so far. Wouldn't say it's particularly scary, but the game does a good job of keeping up the tension similarly to Resident Evil 4.

Playing it on the second hardest difficulty and the combat is pleasingly high-stakes - you can die from two to three hits from the most basic enemy, and you are incentivized to rely on stealth and ambushes - using a bottle to attract a bunch of enemies to a "zombie" carrying Molotovs, to then snipe said enemy so he drops the Molotov and sets all the rest of the enemies on fire, or leading enemies to a pull of water and then firing an electric bolt to drop them all so they can be easily stomped.

Like in the first game, the amount of ammo you have on hand is just perfect - never too much to make you think you can waste it, but neither too little to dissuade you from using your firearms when forced to fight.

I feel the game is too generous with health pickups. Not only are there enough of them on the maps, but there's plenty of crafting materials to make more (though the amount on any given map is finite, and enemies never drop them). Safe rooms also have a coffee machine that can fully heal you at no cost, though it will require something like 20 to 30 minutes for the coffee-maker to brew a new cup of coffee, so the mechanic isn't that abusable.

Narratively the game is a massive improvement on the predecessor - though it helps that the first game did a lot of the heavy lifting in that regard. Personally, the single most irritating thing about the first game were the abrupt and disorienting teleportations that quickly stopped being scary and became highly annoying. EW2 will spirit the player away to a spooky place sometimes, but will usually always return you back to the current open-world section, so there is a real sense of progression and grounding.

And yes, the biggest change from the original is that the game now takes place in an open-world of sorts. There is a limited number of items and ammo scattered across the maps, and a limited number of enemies (that only respawn after specific story events have been triggered), so it is not possible to farm resources endlessly, and I always found myself doing a cost/benefit calculating every time I encountered a group of enemies, trying to decide if the possible gains were worth the expenditure of ammo and healing resources, or if there was a more "economic" way to deal with the enemies.

The open-world also features a lot of optional locales to explore, side-missions, avoidable encounters (in fact, if you so choose you can largely avoid most of the combat by sneaking around enemies).

On the other hand, there a lot of jank - the stealth is iffy because the way the enemies are animated does not do a good job of conveying where they are looking at, and unless you upgrade your crouching speed your character is painfully slow. Also, it's pretty barebones in terms of features - you only have one item that can be used as a distraction (plentiful, but finite), one silenced weapon and not particularly observant enemies.

Melee combat is awful and completely pointless. Your knife has pathetic reach and can take up to 5 swings at a basic enemy to take him down. There's no block or dodge button - only time you really bother with melee is if you have a one-time-use axe that can kill lesser enemies in one hint. A missed opportunity, but I'm very curious to see how Calisto Protocol and RE4R handle the melee.

Gunplay is fine for the most part, though the shotgun is very underwhelming. It really should have less of a spread to make it viable mid-range too. Of particular note is that, depending on how well you can aim, it's more economical to use the shotgun instead of the pistol to take down standard enemies. One pistol bullet costs 3 gunpowder to make, but taking down an enemy can require up to 3 headshots (which are not easy to land), while a shotgun shell costs 6 gunpowder, but is an almost guaranteed kill if the enemy is close enough and you aim in the general direction of his head.

All in all I'd call this game experimental, not in the context of the gameplay proper, but in terms of introducing an open-world survival horror scenario. If I were to give it a rating, I'd give it a solid 7/10 if you're not particularly concerned with the somewhat uninspired narrative.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Play Thief:Gold,particularly the "Haunted Cathedral" and "Return to the Cathedral" missions.
Also Thief:Deadly Shadows has the awesome "Robbing the Cradle" mission. One of the best horror levels ever.
Silent Hill and Resident Evil(1 and 2) I also recommend.

Mary Sue Leigh

Erudite
Felt like adding some more "exotic" picks if you, like me, believe being in an unfamiliar land can add to the horror (and are not from any asia country). Sorry for potential double mentions, I only skimmed parts of the thread.

From S. Korea

The Coma 1&2

2D sidescroller reminiscent of old Clock Tower on SNES, you find yourself stuck in a nightmarish version of school, hunted by your hot teacher who wants to murder you with a box cutter. You run, hide, collect items and figure out the way forward. Part two has a lot of improvements, plus a real plot, which can be a positive or negative thing, depending on your disposition. The soundtrack is excellent and really unsettling. Don't bother with costume DLCs.

White Day: A labyrinth named school
Not sure what it is with Korean horror in schools, but this one has more classic walking sim qualities but you also escape from several rapey janitors, until the real ghosts show up and take over.

From Taiwan:

Detention
From the same developers that brought you Devotion, comes a sidescrolling game where you also explore a nightmare school and figure out that mainland China and communist tankies are the real horror. As of time of writing, then game hasn't been banned from Steam, because Winnie Pooh does not appear in it.

The Bridge Curse Road to Salvation
Follow a group of students on a kimodameshi (test of courage) that ends up calling a real ghost. Things are not as easy as they appear and you'll figure out the interpersonal relationships of the group before you can solve the mystery. Has standard fare chase sequences but it's rather heavy on story and atmosphere.

From Thailand/Siam:

Home Sweet Home

Not too special except for the setting, escape the ghost of a jealous ex-lover and other Thai horrors (or something). If that doesn't sound exciting enough, I think there's a sequel that tries to be multi-player competitive (???)

From Indonesia:

DreadOut 1&2

Until Koei Tecmo started porting Fatal Frame games to PC, this was pretty much the PC games version of "But we have Fatal Frame at home".
Follow the story of a school girl on a field trip who fights Indonesian spirits with the Camera Obscura with a magical smart phone camera. It's fairly janky and lacks polish, also rather short but offers a rather unique setting. The sequel is a big improvement, more open ended and with optional content, but also more story heavy. There are some standalone interim games which are just asset flip trash and should be ignored. Same goes for the upcoming title that is likely an asymmetric versus game such as DbD I guess, who thought that was a good idea?

Honorary mention from Japan:

Chilla's Arts games

Jank to the extreme in an almost charming way, all play the same and are on the same engine. Some are miss, others are more miss and portray a lot of the day to day life, but it should be said that not much would be more horrifying than being a grocery clerk, a home health care nurse or a barista in Japan.

That's it, now gib me dat TL;DR

Starwars

Arcane
I played The Mortuary Assistant

Actually pretty cool game, much better than most indie games. Basic premise is that you prepare/clean up corpses and various spooky things occur while you do it. Some randomization in scares and stuff. Kinda reminiscant in some ways of Welcome to the game if anyone has played that, with a sort of simple gameplay loop where you have to figure a thing out under some time pressure and the spookiness occurs around that.

Not sure if I found the price worth it for what's there but certainly a good game to grab if it goes on sale. It's well made and scared me a few times.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I played The Mortuary Assistant

Actually pretty cool game, much better than most indie games. Basic premise is that you prepare/clean up corpses and various spooky things occur while you do it. Some randomization in scares and stuff. Kinda reminiscant in some ways of Welcome to the game if anyone has played that, with a sort of simple gameplay loop where you have to figure a thing out under some time pressure and the spookiness occurs around that.

Not sure if I found the price worth it for what's there but certainly a good game to grab if it goes on sale. It's well made and scared me a few times.
I watched it on YouTube. I fucking loved it. Not sure I would like playing it, though.

Devotion by Red Candle Games is pretty good so far... I'm probably only about 30 minutes in though.

Better than playing Amnesia The Dark Descent again with the Remastered Mod.

Frictional Games has really fallen off the map, hopefully I'll get some enjoyment out of Rebirth when the Amnesia Classic mod is released (TC featuring quiet protagonist + other changes).

Tried to install Penumbra Necrologue, but couldn't get it to load, despite some real effort.

If you got into Frictional Games with Penumbra and played their games chronologically right through SOMA like I did, their storytelling and in-game physics were top-notch at the time.

Now, after they began subbing out their games starting with A Machine for Pigs, they're about as shitty or worse than Bloober Team.

Last edited:

Arthandas

Prophet
I played so many horror games that I don't get spooked too often (if at all) by modern titles but damn, Subnautica is a completely new experience compared to a typical TPP horror and it can get pretty fucking spooky.

Doktor Best

Arcane
I played so many horror games that I don't get spooked too often (if at all) by modern titles but damn, Subnautica is a completely new experience compared to a typical TPP horror and it can get pretty fucking spooky.

Yeah it can be scary. I played it in VR and had to nope out a few times.

Puukko

Arcane
The season is here again, and I'm playing an excellent appetizer. This could just as well have gone in the JRPG thread, but for the sake of reviving this thread...

Koudelka is a PSX horror JRPG by former Square staff and a prequel to the Shadow Hearts series. It's decidedly less zany than those games which I like, opting for a more grounded Gothic style period piece.

The setting is a haunted monastery in Wales in the 1800s, which is just perfect. The team consists of three unlikely allies with wildly clashing personalities. The titular Koudelka is a sceptic gypsy mystic of sorts. Waifu material? ... up for debate. Edward is a (supposed) outlaw who's the 'straight player' of the team though he does come off as having something he's not letting on. James is a holy man who is quick to judge others while having wool over his eyes. They're all very flawed people in a way most JRPGs just don't do in favor of tired tropes.

The voice acting sets the game apart. They got actual threate actors and put them in the same space, giving in engine cutscenes a very stageplay kind of feel. The models obviously aren't the most expressive but they made great use of what they had. The prerendered cutscenes are much less interesting in comparison and the voice acting is way flatter.

Speaking of prerendered, the backgrounds are gorgeous. It's a dark game obviously and you will be combing rooms for anything valuable, but for the most part, things of importance are reasonably easy to pick out. Camera angles can get a bit funky but I'm not one to get easily confused by such things. The game easily rivals and likely beats Square games of the same era on this front.

Combat is a fairly standard turn based fare on a grid. You can't see enemy health or the turn order which I think works fine for this kind of game. It's mostly about positioning and looking for weaknesses. Spells and weapon types gain ranks when used. Spells become more expensive but hit larger areas, weapons gain potential extra attacks. Melee weapons break often, so you'll want to be constantly looting more of them, and they come with random elements when looted.

Where it gets pretty interesting is in the balancing and how stats tie into this. The game starts off too easy, I didn't need to use a healing spell in combat for the first four hours. Then there's a bump and this becomes a trend, where you'll notice enemies gaining large periodic damage boosts. Still very rarely deadly, but what you'll learn is that stats make a BIG difference. You get stats for both physical and magic damage, defense, and accuracy, agility for turn order/speed and luck for, well, luck. As an example, piety determines magic defense, including to beneficial effects, so a character with higher piety is also harder to heal. In the early game, guess the difference against enemy magic between a character with 10 piety, and another with 20 piety. Say, half? Try 1/20th of the damage for the latter. An aoe spell might hit one character for 10 damage and the other for 200. Considering I practically never have issues with landing attacks, it becomes optimal to focus attack stats while making sure your 'tank' (Edward, really) can take a beating. The back row will rarely take damage other than magical but you don't want to completely neglect their physical defense/health. Gear makes a huge difference here.

Fitting a 90's game, Koudelka has its share of obtuse stuff and silly secrets (saving your game under very specific circumstances) so having a guide handy is highly recommended. Puzzles are quite modest in difficulty.

So is it scary? Well, no, not really. Very atmospheric but there's only so much an old turn based game can do that would actually be scary. The enemy designs are very cool and pretty disturbing at times, definitely a highlight, but again, not exactly scary.

I'm currently just about midway through after 10-ish hours, it's a four disc game which is pretty wild. I have been making liberal use of emulator turbo because battles are pretty damn slow. So far though, it's a real gem. If there are glaring flaws I am engrossed enough to not care. So excuse the effort post, I do want more people to try this out.

(the shader likely comes across a bit silly in screenshots but playing in the dark on my OLED, it works wonderfully)

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom