Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie CRPGs - post 'em if you find 'em

Shagnak

Shagadelic
NeutralMilkHotel said:
I got this one, and I've played (died) a couple times. OODLES OF FUN MY FRIEND! Thank you very much for posting it here. :P

Just had a go at this one too...
You get a pet dog called "Kenny" that wanders all over and generally gets in the way.
I accidentally walked into him and killed him.

I'm assuming the dog exists purely so you can say "I killed Kenny!" :D

Peacedog

Novice
Second Chance, I enjoyed both Excelsiors back in the day. Nothing fancy, but enjoyable. Excelsior 2 had pretty good music, I thought.

Fez

Erudite
God dammit, I mentioned that one already, but I forgive you. :P

The editor for that game is pretty good and easy to use. Have a try if you are interested.

Fez

Erudite
My secret shame.

Early on I found that you could get treasure from containers, then I got carried away with my hunt for phat lewt and started slaughtering all the evil barrels I could find - I must have gone too far so they decided to fight back against my oppression in the only way they could, and in a desperate gambit killed my hero in the explosion of a suicide bomb! Damn barrels. What a terrible end for a hero. :cry:

NEVAR FORGET!

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Abaddon

Abaddon

Don't think it has been mentioned yet.

A new beta has been released, version 0.6.
Looks rather appealing, but won't have a chance to look at it until later.

http://www.igerard.com/

Hmmm...only released 3 days ago...is this news?

Edit:
The game has been previously mentioned in news items:
http://www.rpgcodex.com/newsarchive.php?words=abaddon
There is an earlier version now referred to as "Abaddon Classic" at the Abaddon homepage, which looks like an old SNES game.
This caused much confusion in one of the news posts, as people downloaded the old crusty 2D looking one (which was at V 1.04b), and wondered why it looked nothing like the new isometric-looking version.
http://abaddon.igerard.com/downloads.html

VasikkA

Liturgist
If you want some FPS nostalgia I suggest you download Doom roguelike and give a shot. The atmosphere and resemblance with the original Doom is very well captured. Familiar monsters, weapons and using old tactics(shooting exploding barrels etc.) doesn't make it less challenging than the original. I'm still trying to beat the game.

Battleline

Novice
I am a horse theif

anyone know of any good sites where I could post up some freeware CRPGs?

Spazmo

Erudite
For download or just links and information? We can't handle the former, but if you're looking for the latter, post them here or contact one of our staff and we'll stick it in the news.

Sandelfron

Scholar
Avè said:
Other then neocron, what's another recent game that had a hacking game like that?

I know I played it recently...

DX:IW?
I don't think it did. I remember thinking "They just ripped off Paradroid completely"
when I saw Neocron's door-lock screen. Funnily enough, a few years ago an amiga
game company got its arse sued off by Turner&Braybrook for the exact same thing.

Hazelnut

Erudite
Re: The Chronicles of Ny

Saint_Proverbius said:
THE_Dave said:
Some of you guys already know about this one but for the ones that don't:

The Chronicles of Ny - ClownKeep

It's actually good you posted this. I'd completely forgotten about it since I also forgot to bookmark it.

Looks like it's dead in the water... :(

flabbyjack

Arcane
A friend of mine shoved me towards a zombie-killing CRPG called "Survival Crisis Z". Awesomeness, and it's totally playable in 5-10 minute increments. Go head over to Totally Screwed. Or you can get the zip file(weighing in at 9.11 MB) right HERE YOU HOEBAG!

This is a shareware game, if you want access to the last 2/3 of the quests and to buyable skills then you'll have to fork over $10 to some narc who isn't making these zombie games NEmore. Read the readme to get an idea of how awesome this game is --

• * Find ammo and items in abandoned buildings!
    * Don't run out of food! (exciting, I know)
    * Don't get overtired! (the plot thickens!)
    * Hostile takeovers of occupied buildings!
    * Party members with weapons!
    * Arcade(survival) mode! with cool minigame rewards!
    * Put on a ski mask, duct tape somebody up, and use a car battery on them! Torture them into submission!
    * Game saves whenever you talk to a neutral/friendly NPC
    * Bartering commodities!
    * Drug lord -- hook people on amphetamines!
    * Terrorist -- blow up buildings and threaten to blow up buildings!
    * Secrets!

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
Damn. I downloaded that game on thursday and have been playing the demo version fucking nonstop. Great game with lots of cool stuff to do. Funnest thing I've done so far is rob a bunch of places and take all the loot and dump it in a storage room in the sewers, and hole myself up in there with every type of arms I can get and basically just ride out the whole conflict. The best part is that your relationships with the factions (SWAT, Rebel, Neutral) come in handy sometimes. When I was holed up, I was attacked by some Rebels and that caught the attention of the SWAT. After they saw me mow the Rebels down, some even stayed with me and helped defend my little enclave. Nifty. :)

k_bits

Scholar
LOST LABYRINTH
==============

description
~~~~~~~~~~~
Lost Labyrinth is a so-called "roguelike" roleplaying computer game.
Lost Labyrinth has the following features:
* relatively short gameplay (about 10-20 minutes)
* very high replayability; nearly everything in the game is randomly
generated
* a lot of options during the character generation; each character
type requires another strategy to survive
* game focus on exploration; killing monsters does not give an
experience bonus (but makes fun nonetheless)
* "Zelda"-like graphics, sound and animation; smooth scrolling of
game screen
* FreeWare

http://laby.toybox.de?sprache=1.

Moggs

Liturgist
Hmmm, I tried that Survival Crisis Z a while back and thought there was nothing to it (to be honest I thought it was the work of a couple of kids taking the piss). Should I give it another shot then?

rei1974

Scholar
I made an indie game, not exactly a rpg, more like a card game with rpg elements. You can check the official site here:
http://www.winterwolves.com/magicstones/

I am making some updates every 2-3 months to add more content to the game. I hope to work on a "real" rpg in future. I would love to do a remake of Dungeon Master personally :)

Breaking3po

Novice
hi, im new.

awesome thread.

any of these small enough for a quick dial-up DL?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom