Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Lords of the Fallen - action-RPG reboot from Hexworks

abija

Prophet
Jinn between this and Lies of PI, if i can only get one for year end holiday which one would you recommend?
If issue is money not time to play, xbox lop and pirate or wait for a discount on lotf.

cruel

Cipher
34% off on Steam right now. Bought it, hopefully it will fix my sadness after finishing Lies of P.

Sent from my KB2005 using Tapatalk

Ravielsk

Magister
Bought, tried, refunded. The game is certainly running better than at launch albeit I still needed to install sharpening removal mods and post processing removal mods to make the game less puke inducing. My RTX4070 was able to maintain a mostly steady 60fps at 1080p with only minor drops so I would say the game is finally "playable" but its not ideal considering the visual fidelity and how tiny the levels are.

I will say that I can no longer caution against buying but I still maintain that at 60€ its a bad deal. With the current sale its worth thinking about but treat it more as a investment into a game that two DLC packs down the line might be great.

Ravielsk

Magister
Because my aging 5700XT (a 2070 Super equivalent) is keeping stable 70-80 FPS at 1440p on a mix of High and Medium details.
Without FSR or DLSS. The only performance metric relevant to me is the rasterized performance.

cruel

Cipher
I've started playing this yesterday and first impressions are not so great - it seems I will need to watch my refund timer carefully. The combat feels... floaty? I feel like I'm skating on ice while fighting, hard to explain it better. This combined with not enough impact from the hits makes it not really enjoyable. Also, there are still bugs in the tutorial area (random mob stuck running in circles), which doesn't inspire much confidence for the rest of the game.

On the other hand, it's not like I have anything better to play at the moment, so it would be nice if I actually liked the game. Will try some more today.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I've started playing this yesterday and first impressions are not so great - it seems I will need to watch my refund timer carefully. The combat feels... floaty? I feel like I'm skating on ice while fighting, hard to explain it better. This combined with not enough impact from the hits makes it not really enjoyable. Also, there are still bugs in the tutorial area (random mob stuck running in circles), which doesn't inspire much confidence for the rest of the game.

On the other hand, it's not like I have anything better to play at the moment, so it would be nice if I actually liked the game. Will try some more today.

I like the art and what not, though I think the particle effects like that lightning and stuff look like ass.

The combat felt janky and the lantern mechanics, though interesting, felt like more of a pain in the ass than anything. I refunded after an hour because I couldn't see buying it for 30% off and I have better ways to waste my time and money ATM.

It's a shame because it seems promising in several ways and I think a sequel may help address some of the rough edges. Ultimately though, I wanted to (and expected to) like it more than I did.

5/10 - solid meh.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

Let me quote the experts.

The combat isn’t floaty.
Combat hasn't felt floaty to me
There are retarded complaints and legit ones, this one is one of the former. If this combat is floaty then every other souls combat is floaty too, with the sole exception of the OG Lords that were berated for being too heavy and weighty. Yeah, gamers.

Wha? On what details?

Because my aging 5700XT (a 2070 Super equivalent) is keeping stable 70-80 FPS at 1440p on a mix of High and Medium details.

I don't believe you. This would mean that this game was optimized for AMD cards exclusively as my RTX 3060 couldn't even maintain steady 60 FPS at 720p DLSS rendering resolution on mix of High and Medium when I was trying it. But your card, which is supposed to be only about 20 percent faster can do 70-80 FPS at fucking 1440p, which is 4 times the pixel count?? There's no fucking way they optimized the game with patches this much.

abija

Prophet
I don't believe you. This would mean that this game was optimized for AMD cards exclusively as my RTX 3060 couldn't even maintain steady 60 FPS at 720p DLSS rendering resolution on mix of High and Medium when I was trying it. But your card, which is supposed to be only about 20 percent faster can do 70-80 FPS at fucking 1440p, which is 4 times the pixel count?? There's no fucking way they optimized the game with patches this much.
"Mix of high and medium" ranges from 50 to 200+ fps on my 4070. The actual settings matter and none of you actually mentioned them.
Also default for this game is 50% render scale so he is probably also using 720p.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Wha? On what details?

I don't believe you.

1Untitled.png

2Untitled.png

3Untitled.png

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I'd add in many places the FPS goes over 100. And that's without FSR.

EDIT: Oh but you're right abija, I've been using 60% render scale. Game is still jaw-dropping.

mediocrepoet

Patron
One of the weird things I've noticed this generation is that some games, at least at first, get complaints for running like shit on higher end cards (RTX 3/4XXX) but run well in mainstream cards like a 2070S.

Jedi Survivor was like that, not sure if people have great gpus but shit systems causing bottlenecks or what.

Personally I haven't experienced issues in many games on either a 2070S or a 4080. YMMV

Last edited:
"Mix of high and medium" ranges from 50 to 200+ fps on my 4070. The actual settings matter and none of you actually mentioned them.

My settings were all High except for the ones that description said uses ray tracing above Medium. I believe there were two of those and they were set to Medium.

EDIT: Oh but you're right abija, I've been using 60% render scale. Game is still jaw-dropping.

So, you are running at 864p then. Weird thing to forget to mention. Also, I gotta believe FSR is at least a little better than in-engine scaler, even if it's shit compared to DLSS.

abija

Prophet
Jedi Survivor was like that, not sure if people have great gpus but shit systems causing bottlenecks or what.
Neah, that game scales properly. The thing is, with a medium pc, you tone settings down and some stutter while running through the level or lower fps in some scenes is irrelevant. When you're running 4090 + 7800x3D/i9, everything gets cranked to ultra and every frame drop is like someone slaps your kids in front of you.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Yea, my only issue with Jedi Survivor was when EA's servers were down and I couldn't play my single-player game. Otherwise didn't understand where all the rage was coming from.

mediocrepoet

Patron
Yea, my only issue with Jedi Survivor was when EA's servers were down and I couldn't play my single-player game. Otherwise didn't understand where all the rage was coming from.

Yeah, always online single player games are cancer.

DemonKing

Arcane
They weren't joking when they said the beginning of this game has a lot of fire resistant enemies. I've made it to Calrath which is literally a burning city full of fire enemies...haven't even bothered equipping the new fire spell I found because it seems pointless at this stage. I literally pinged the Spurned Progeny boss to death with the basic radiant spell...

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
They weren't joking when they said the beginning of this game has a lot of fire resistant enemies.
Pilgrim's Perch is almost exclusively inhabited by holy mobs resistant to Radiance and weak to fire. Same for the next area, the Fen - almost all the marsh creatures are weak to fire.

Fire resistant Rogar only start appearing in Fitzroy's Gorge and Lower Calrath and then again in Bramis.

Most of the other areas are also full of holy enemies - Belled Rise, Manse, Tower and Abbey. Plus the very weak-to-fire mobs in the Fief, Mines and Depths.

All in all there many more fire-weak mobs in the game than radiance-weak. The only problem with NG fire builds is Inferno catalysts - your starting one sucks and FOUR OUT OF SIX others are only obtainable at the end of the game, which is p. stupid. The only good Inferno catalyst you can get early is the Searing Accusation which is highly missable.

Which one are you using btw? Do you keep it upgraded? Are you levelling INF?

DemonKing

Arcane
Which one are you using btw? Do you keep it upgraded? Are you levelling INF?
I’m still using the basic one as I foolishly gave away the one in the Hub area to an NPC. Inferno is about 30 now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom