Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect pre-order goodies and more

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Here's a new press release about <a href="http://masseffect.bioware.com/">Mass Effect</a>. It's loaded with fun things like <b>$10 off</b> if you pre-order the game, mini-games, and.. Well, just read:
<blockquote>Leading video game developer BioWare™, a division of Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: ERTS), is proud to announce that key retailers across North America will be offering $10 off for all pre-orders of Mass Effect™ for the PC, shipping to retailers May 27, 2008 in North America and June 6, 2008 in Europe. Gamers will receive the $10 discount by pre-ordering Mass Effect at both specialty and online retailers including GameStop, Amazon.com and GoGamer.com.

Gamers who pre-order Mass Effect through the Electronic Arts online store will receive bonus items2 from the game Dead Space™, the highly anticipated sci-fi survival horror game by EA, including the first issue of the Dead Space comic book and a Dead Space poster while supplies last.

Published by EA and re-designed for the PC by Demiurge Studios and BioWare, Mass Effect invites players to take the role of Commander Shepard as they set out on an adventure to save the galaxy from imminent destruction. Wrought with treachery, heroism, difficult decisions and a universe filled with unique and colorful species, Mass Effect delivers a truly compelling storyline.

Fully optimized for the PC, Mass Effect includes a new Tactical Heads-Up Display, higher resolution visuals, an enhanced inventory system, fully optimized controls designed specifically for the PC, individual squad control and a new decryption mini-game. The "Bring Down the Sky" downloadable content for Mass Effect on PC, featuring 90 minutes of new gameplay, will also be available free for registered BioWare Community members at the launch of Mass Effect PC. </blockquote>
I think they should knock off ten bucks just for making me deal with more mini-games. Oh, and I still can't get used to <A href="http://www.bioware.com">BioWare</a> being a division of <a href="http://www.ea.com">. Then again, I can't see why any company owner would want to be a division of <A href="http://www.ea.com">EA</a> after what they did to <b>Bullfrog</b>, <b>Westwood</b> and <b>Origin</b>.

Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.bluesnews.com">Voodoo Extreme</A>

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
So along with the price reduction you get promotional material for another game as a bonus for pre-order?

Nightjed

Liturgist
oh god, 90 minutes of "new" gameplay ? i really hope they wont force you to spend 90 minutes playing that new minigame crap ...

Lurkar

Scholar
Saint_Proverbius said:
Fully optimized for the PC, Mass Effect includes a new Tactical Heads-Up Display, higher resolution visuals, an enhanced inventory system, fully optimized controls designed specifically for the PC, individual squad control and a new decryption mini-game.

This isn't a bad thing. I'm glad Bioware didn't just ship out a complete clone of the console game with all the problems that comes with that.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
TWD. you know, if you want to make fun of consoles, you should do it in a manner that doesn't make you look retarded.

Angthoron

Arcane
Buzzword said:
Leading video game developer
Buzzword said:
the highly anticipated sci-fi survival horror game

The adjectives, they blow my mind. When will they realize that self-praise only looks appropriate in rap and acid vats?

aries202

Erudite
Angthoron said:
Buzzword said:
Buzzword said:

The adjectives, they blow my mind. When will they realize that self-praise only looks appropriate in rap and acid vats?

Oh, so now Mass Effect is a horror game :?: And even a survival horror game :?:
Next time maybe it will be an adventure game :?:

And here I thought it was an (action) rpg...

Someone obviously have played Condemned too much...

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
aries202 said:
Angthoron said:
Buzzword said:
Buzzword said:

Oh, so now Mass Effect is a horror game :?: And even a survival horror game :?:
Next time maybe it will be an adventure game :?:

And here I thought it was an (action) rpg...

Someone obviously have played Condemned too much...
Buy horror he meant the game "Dead Space" that will be on sale.

slipgate_angel

Scholar
So instead of getting an artbook, figurine, or a soundtrack, we get some samples from another EA game? Thanks EA games, we now know where your cocksucking skills have gottin us.

WhiskeyWolf

Staff Member
slipgate_angel said:
So instead of getting an artbook, figurine, or a soundtrack, we get some samples from another EA game? Thanks EA games, we now know where your cocksucking skills have gottin us.
Marketing?

DefJam101

Arcane
Jasede said:
TWD. you know, if you want to make fun of consoles, you should do it in a manner that doesn't make you look retarded.

He is right; console games may have bloom...

-but they run at such a low resolution with such foggy textures and no attention given to art direction whatsoever, that they all look like utter shit. Subtlety doesn't work when you're sitting across the room, that's why every console game is just simple textures & models with shitloads of post-process effects thrown on top of it.

Starwars

Arcane
There's some new on the copy protection scheme here: http://masseffect.bioware.com/forums/vi ... &forum=125

Mass Effect uses SecuROM and requires an online activation for the first time that you play it. Each copy of Mass Effect comes with a CD Key which is used for this activation and for registration here at the BioWare Community. Mass Effect does not require the DVD to be in the drive in order to play, it is only for installation.

After the first activation, SecuROM requires that it re-check with the server within ten days (in case the CD Key has become public/warez'd and gets banned). Just so that the 10 day thing doesn't become abrupt, SecuROM tries its first re-check with 5 days remaining in the 10 day window. If it can't contact the server before the 10 days are up, nothing bad happens and the game still runs. After 10 days a re-check is required before the game can run.

WhiskeyWolf

Staff Member
Starwars said:
There's some new on the copy protection scheme here: http://masseffect.bioware.com/forums/vi ... &forum=125

Mass Effect uses SecuROM and requires an online activation for the first time that you play it. Each copy of Mass Effect comes with a CD Key which is used for this activation and for registration here at the BioWare Community. Mass Effect does not require the DVD to be in the drive in order to play, it is only for installation.

After the first activation, SecuROM requires that it re-check with the server within ten days (in case the CD Key has become public/warez'd and gets banned). Just so that the 10 day thing doesn't become abrupt, SecuROM tries its first re-check with 5 days remaining in the 10 day window. If it can't contact the server before the 10 days are up, nothing bad happens and the game still runs. After 10 days a re-check is required before the game can run.

Oh noes, you will have to connect to the server every 10 days or the game will not run.
Nothing what a good crack won't fix.

Riso

Arcane
The assholes could at least offer an update for the 360 to make the inventory management not suck.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom