Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Modders are extremely arrogant and delusional

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
Nexus published this interview with a modlist curator the other day and I legit thought it was a parody piece at first, and then I guffawed when I realized - oh my god, they're serious.

https://www.nexusmods.com/news/14856

Just to emphasize straight off the bat, this guy is barely even a modder -- he doesn't code, he doesn't animate, he doesn't create assets. He's just a guy who put a bunch of mods together, and he thinks bethesda is going to hire him.

Drinking game: take a shot for every bullshit LinkedIn phrase he drops

My name is Canberk Kaygan, a passionate gamer who embarked on the Immersive Collections project to approach modding and collections from a fresh perspective. Instead of merely creating collections and mods, this project aims to design comprehensive experiences. It has been incredibly successful, arguably becoming one of the most prominent collection projects to date.

Around a year ago, I started creating collections and mods with the introduction of the Collections feature on Nexus. Within a relatively short time, my collections gained tremendous popularity, amassing nearly a million total downloads. In fact, they account for nearly half of all collection downloads across all games. Additionally, I founded a Discord server for collection users, which boasts an active community of over 32,000 members. The server serves as a valuable resource hub and hosts exciting events...

While my professional background lies in marketing and sales, specifically as a product and project manager in the pharmaceutical and FMCG sectors, I've discovered the incredible transferability of skills to the gaming and modding industry. Leveraging my business education, with a specialization in marketing and logistics, I approach modding with a unique perspective. My focus is on enhancing end-user experiences, building recognizable brands, and managing tasks efficiently by leveraging outsourcing when necessary. :roll:

Driven by my longstanding passion for the gaming industry, the overwhelming response to my work led me to take a bold step. I made the decision to leave my main job and dedicate myself to further improving my projects, while simultaneously aiming to establish a professional career in the gaming industry.

I'm tempted to call bullshit. This nerd allegedly left a cushy job (its pretty clear he doesnt actually do anything) in the pharmaceutical industry to be a modlist curator. How many cents are these guys getting per download from the nexus? Are discorders like onlyfans cucks?

For these reasons, I see the Collections feature as the next stage in modding. This may sound exaggerated to some, but I truly think of it as comparable to the invention of the printing press. While the concept of installing a pre-made list of mods is not novel, it has never been executed in a manner that enables even the most casual and new players to easily install hundreds of mods, often with just a single click. This new feature, similar to the impact of the printing press on book accessibility, will transform the modding scene and revolutionize how users access mods. The mere idea of being able to install the exact same setup that your favourite YouTuber uses with just a single click is nothing short of amazing.
trump-laughing.gif

This is hilarious. While I'm sure many people think automated modlist installers are neat, the only reason they exist in the first place is because of the pedantry and narcissism of modders in the nexus community, because they refuse to allow their work to be published in a ready made installer or in one archive, so now we are forced to download gigabytes of individual archives just to get a few specific files from each. And for this same reason an update of a modlist or collection or whatever the fuck can't be delta patched like it is in every other sensible modding community, you simply must have a bloated download folder of unused archives just sitting there, unless you wish to redownload every single fucking archive again every time just because they pushed a minor update.

Another source of inspiration came from observing how community engagement worked for pre-made lists. I wanted to foster a deeper connection between mod authors and users, ensuring that mod authors receive proper recognition for their work. As a curator, I actively engage with the community I have built. One way I achieve this is by inviting mod authors to share their stories in the "Mod-Maker Stories" series, where we delve into their creative process and the ideas behind their mods. By bridging this gap, I aim to create a more vibrant and appreciative modding community. So far, we have invited some great mod authors like Syclonix, the creator of Shadow of Skyrim, and Hylios, the creator of HS interior cell overhaul mods (HS Resources), and we tried to give them the recognition they truly deserve. My goal is to give recognition to all mod authors in my collections with these kinds of projects and fill the gap of personal touch and communication between mod authors and modders that was created by the ease of installation of multiple mods. This is something I truly care about and want to improve because, simply put, our works would be meaningless without the hard work of some truly great mod authors who work tirelessly.

You can tell this guy is a marketing major because this is a lot of words to communicate that he does close to fucking nothing. It keeps going in this fashion

I, myself am not the greatest at coding or modelling. There is a lot I do not know about. One thing I know about though is making connections and managing projects. Leveraging these strengths, I have collaborated with over 10 mod authors and more than 20 volunteers to enhance the collection experience.

The key to our success lies in teamwork and scalability. For instance, when encountering a mod that isn't compatible with the rest of the collection, we either develop an in-house patch or reach out to the mod author for collaboration. We tirelessly explore solutions to automate manual setup steps, understanding that most casual users won't create new mods or contact authors for compatibility issues. As a curator, I strive to alleviate this burden for end-users.

598c2973-82d8-44c7-9c93-923d33eece1e_text.gif

Let me translate: when a mod doesnt work in his setup, he contacts the author and asks how to fix it. Good lord this guy is full of shit.

the rest of the interview just keeps going on in this fashion, marketing babble to dress up that he does what every other modlist curator out there does without any fanfare whatsoever. But the centerpiece is this choice bit of delusion from earlier:

My ultimate dream is to make a lasting impact with a team of dedicated individuals and perhaps attract the attention of game companies through my work at the same time, potentially securing a role in a game company. Who knows, perhaps there's one reading this interview (hint, hint).

LOL. To do what, exactly?

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
I will say one thing for this fella. Coming in at just 14gb and sticking to the original art direction, this guy manages to be the sole author that actually makes a modlist that isn't 10x the size of the original game files.

Ash

Arcane
Devastated. My delusion is shattered, I am only a mere mortal again. Ain't no way in hell I am gonna stop being arrogant though. Feeling superior to cretins really gives my life purpose. :smug:

Now excuse me, I have super important modlists to compile.

laclongquan

Arcane
Bullshit is about right.

I mean, the smell of marketing writings waft up even here~ I dont know what targets Nexus plan with this marketing hype, but it is a hype, written up by professionals, not amateur writers in modding scene at all~

Maybe they aim at the paying customers who install boatload of mods (thus have big rig and big pocket) and not forget to tip the modders.

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Devastated. My delusion is shattered, I am only a mere mortal again. Ain't no way in hell I am gonna stop being arrogant though. Feeling superior to cretins really gives my life purpose. :smug:

Now excuse me, I have super important modlists to compile.
Compile a unified installer or don't bother us

Quatlo

Arcane
Freespace 2 modders made Knossos more than a fucking decade ago and didn't feel the need to call themselves genius inventors. Printing press my ass, more like a bootleg stamps made from potatoes.
Nexus is shit, moddb is shit, its hilarious that steam workshop has more use than these morons.

R@tmaster

Educated
Guys, you should go to rpg-forum threads and tell those shitty scumbags (rogueknight333 and Luke Scull) what do you think about them. Don't hold yourself back - they deserve all your gratitude.

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
Two things. Firstly he's not even a modder, but just another middle man that rides on creativity of actual modders by bundling their work. Secondly the new model of Nexus, while it may be applauded on codex, attracts a certain kind of people that only represent a fraction of the entire modding community.

There's the whole cathedral vs. parlor approach to modding that could be discussed here, but I hardly see a point of doing so in regard of some vainglorious parasite.

Modron

Arcane
Secondly the new model of Nexus, while it may be applauded on codex, attracts a certain kind of people that only represent a certain fraction of the entire modding community.
Yeah the real degenerates go full discord.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Yet another troll post, it's become par for the course.
Modders have rights, too. You're truly embarassing yourself with this content. I am, quite frankly, becoming increasingly fatigued with your ENDLESS tirades and crusades about modders. But you know what? I'm getting used to it at this point.

I see you're striving for my attention, and that's fine. But I -will not- relent.
Enjoy attacking the strawman you've created.

Qwinn

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom