Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Most fun game for you in 2023 and why: Share your thoughts

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
I've enough of inane doom & gloom. Let's ave a thread about stuff we actually enjoyed this year.
Let's also limit ourselves to current year releases, so while I appreciate that you had fun in Return to Castle Wolfenstein, I really didn't ask.

Tavar

Cipher
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
For me it's Colony Ship. While it's not perfect, it nicely scratches the Fallout itch. It's the first game in the long time where I started a second play through directly after finishing it for the first time. Good CoC can be very motivating.

VerSacrum

Educated
Cyberpunk if the DLC counts, was filtered by my outdated hardware back in 2020 so I got to enjoy the game as a smooth patched experience with a new gpu plus the DLC.
The only other 2023 release I played is BG3 and this left a bad aftertaste.
Have yet to play Colony Ship.

Max Damage

Savant
Street Fighter 6, it's the most mechanically fun entry I've played so far, and matchmaking is very fast even during work hours.

Ivan

Arcane
Hi Fi Rush (at least for 1st playthrough): story feels, fun rhythm combat 1st time thru, became more shallow once mastered
Blood West: STALKER meets Betrayer/Thief, yes plz
Rollerdrome: tony hawk x max payne arcade combat arena game? yes plz

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Had some solid fun with Amazing Cultivation Simulator, as well as the Outer Wilds and the Case of the Golden Idol. Did I mention The Messenger ? So many great games out there.
For very good but not exactly fun choice that would be SOMA.
And for multiplayer Mechwarrior Living Legends.

Quite a good year indeed.

Lemming42

Arcane
Wizordum - one of the most straight-up fun FPS games of the last several years, looks and plays great
Trepang2 - great quick and easy dose of FEAR-style action
Baldur's Gate 3 - loved it, started a second playthrough right away just to make everyone a mage and see the full extent of how much you can fuck around and push the game's limits
Shadow Gambit - game had its flaws but the Commandos gameplay loop never gets old
En Garde! - very short but the combat system they created was great fun

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Had some solid fun with Amazing Cultivation Simulator, as well as the Outer Wilds and the Case of the Golden Idol. Did I mention The Messenger ? So many great games out there.
For very good but not exactly fun choice that would be SOMA.
And for multiplayer Mechwarrior Living Legends.

Quite a good year indeed.
I'm sorry bro but Golden Idol is a late 2022 release, your fun is retroactively taken from you.

Viata

Arcane
Oh I didn't see the "current year releases" part. So no, there is nothing worth for me to waste my time playing if I can play great old games. But I hope you guys had fun playing something released this year.
Also, Maxie, you forgot to post the games you had fun playing.

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Oh I didn't see the "current year releases" part. So no, there is nothing worth for me to waste my time playing if I can play great old games. But I hope you guys had fun playing something released this year.
Also, Maxie, you forgot to post the games you had fun playing.
I must admit that I realized only after posting the thread that I've played preciously few recent releases, looked out for Fire Emblem Engage only, which disappointed me a little. I had most of my fun with older games, with Death's Door being the biggest surprise.

Sorry for being a hypocrite niggas :(

cruel

Cipher
Jedi Survivor and Lies of P.

Sent from my KB2005 using Tapatalk

Baron Dupek

Arcane
WH40k games - Darktide and Boltgun
I know the former was released at the late 2022, but like most FatSharts games they need time for fixes. Got decent MP experience even with randoms. Never played horde-type of games.
Boltgun - eh, just b00ma shuta. It was ok.
Wizordum - one of the most straight-up fun FPS games of the last several years, looks and plays great
btw the cover was made by the same guy who made covers for Ultima series - Denis R. Loubet

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
It was, without a doubt, Starfield. I have clocked in over 200 hours within an approx. 2 week period. That's on average 8.33 hours of playing Starfield per day, while also making over 1000 posts in the Starfield thread. It was glorious. Earned me this shitty tag sadly tho because SOMEBODY didn't like me saying that Starfield was better than BG3, which, if I go by how much fun I've had playing this year, is definitely the case for me.

Why was it so fun? I think the major reason was that I went in without expectations. I'm not a Bethesda fan (again, despite the shitty tag) so I didn't hold it up to any standards (lol). The first dozen hours I just spent mining rocks and goofing around and had a great time. Exploring a procedurally generated galaxy with nuFallout-style gameplay was really dope. The more I played the more I learned about the game and it felt like it had so much to offer. But eventually I realized that it was unfinished and that the 'Starfield iceberg' was just a piece of ice floating on the water, not deep at all.

Based on what the developers are saying, they consider it to be a finished product, more or less, which is disappointing, as it needs at least 5 more years of development time.

But yeah, the early parts of the game were a unique experience to me that was one of my better gaming moments since covid.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
Blasphemous 2
Absolutely brilliant. Had a whale of a time with it. If you like Metroidvanias give this a go. It's one of the best.

Monster Hunter Rise.
I enjoyed world and I kind of enjoy Rise but I hate the weebiness of it. I don't need kawaii uguu girls pestering me before every mission so I can buff stamina bars. It's a fine game and I enjoy playing it but I'm no fan of weebs.

Tokyo Ghostwire
Really great idea, fun traversal and the yokai were fun to interact with. Kind of hate played it because it kept reminding me of ex friends who ended up moving to Japan because they got way too deep into anime. Pure disgust from my very soul mixed with pretty fun FPS game.

Persona 4 Golden
Was quite into this until it started to get gay as fuck. I wanted to follow the little girl's story and see where it went. Poor girl is ditched by everyone and does nothing but watch TV. I wanted to give her a life outside of JUNES and game shows. Once it got fruity and I knew it was going to tell me it's okay to suck cock in bath houses I dipped. Shame as it was a very comfortable game to lose a few hours on.

Starfield
The shooting was fun and the glitches were funny. I liked clicking on baddies and watching them explode. I married Sarah so I could break her heart and never went any deeper into the story. 7/10 would shoot generic enemies on generic planets again. I used the console to give myself infinite stamina and carry weight. Fuck those mechanics in my shooty games!

Halo infinite
Infinite basically got finished this year. Firefight just got implemented and multiplayer maps worth playing were added. Upcoming patch should fix the desync and then I'll call Infinite a good multiplayer shooter. It's become my go to shooter when I want to play a few rounds while huffing dorito dust.

I know some of these titles were originally released earlier but they're 2023 on the platforms I played them on. Please don't bully me!

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Hm this guys seems to like a lot of games. I wonder...

Starfield
The shooting was fun and the glitches were funny. I liked clicking on baddies and watching them explode.
Oh yeah, right there.

It's a shit eater. Checks out every time.

Stormcrowfleet

Aeon & Star Interactive
Developer
Mount & Blade Bannerlord. Not perfect, but it does what it does and it's a fun sandbox.
WH40k Darktide. Rough start like all Fatshark games, but it's a great game to play with friends.
Knights of Honor & Heroes of Might and Magic 3. Classics.

In terms of mod and all, I really liked this Castlevania Doom mod: https://batandy.itch.io/simonsdestiny

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom