Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Tomb Raider confirmed

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Also the new one is supposed to connect reboot trilogy with the original Core Design games.

Personally, I'm eager to witness the "cinematic" sequence in which they explain her breast implants...

820df2b8-lara-crofts-best-breasts-yet.jpeg

Hint, genius: They won't remake the 1990's doll of Lara.

Yeah, 1990's Lara was way too emotionally stable for a modern cinematic video game.

She didn't have a single mental breakdown in any of the classic games. Not one. No crying, no bitching, no mommy issues, no daddy issues, no self-loathing even when she accidentally doomed the world in TR4 (unlike in Shadow of the Tomb Raider where she does the same and constantly guilt-trips herself afterwards).

Classic Lara was just a badass action hero who starred in classic Indiana Jones style adventure stories.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
The essence of classic Tomb Raider:

20220403233139-1.jpg

Spelunking alone through abandoned ruins, an atmosphere of eerie loneliness around you. You keep wondering at the purpose of these ancient rooms with their convoluted puzzles and traps. What kind of madman built this? You'll never know because everyone involved in the construction is long dead, and no written records remain to inform you of the place's purpose.

There are no cutscenes except for those in-between levels. Nothing to interrupt the gameplay. Nothing to get in between you and the loneliness of the dungeon.
The storytelling is subtle and mostly environmental. Rooms decorated in a way to hint at their purpose: the emperor's lavish viewing platform in the colosseum contrasting with the plain and simple seats of the commoners. A bunch of mummies sitting in alcoves within a burial chamber.

Modern AAA will never be able to do something like this again. Classic Tomb Raider was a masterpiece, and we will never see anything like it again, at least not from a major publisher.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Well, the modern ones have mostly ruined the Tomb Raiding as well, not just Lara's character. Classic Lara meshed very well with the original tomb raiding focused stories - as I said, she was basically female Indiana Jones.
And it's not about her tits (it never was in the actual games, only the marketing department exploited that aspect because marketing gonna market) but her personality. I don't give a shit about her tits, I only care about feet :M but I still vastly prefer classic Lara as a character. Due to the heavy use of her as a sex symbol in the marketing of the time, many people today who aren't very familiar with the original games believe that classic Lara was just a "polygon doll" and only the reboots gave her any sort of personality.

That couldn't be further from the truth. The reboots gave her "personality" is in making her overly emotional, really sad about having to kill people (even though she kills vastly more people than in the originals - TR1 only had four or five human enemies in total, modern TR throws a hundred times as many at you), giving her mommy and daddy issues with a dramatic backstory, and so on and so forth. They're overloading her with emotional issues just so they can have some tearjerk moments in the story, even though that kind of thing doesn't mesh well with a classic adventure story.

Classic Lara is a protagonist straight out of a pulp adventure novel, or a 90s action movie. She's a capable woman with badass moves and clever quips whenever she's confronted by her opponents.
Just compare these cutscenes to the ones in modern TR games:

The best comparison is Tomb Raider Anniversary which already gave her emotional issues, moving away from the classic action/adventure protagonist archetype. Also, far more exposition dumping than in the short and snappy original dialogs.

From minimalist storytelling that relied on short cutscenes with snappy action movie style dialog, to over-exposition and giving Lara emotional issues she constantly deals with. What a massive decline of the storytelling.

Lemming42

Arcane
Anyone who objects to calling Lara Croft a badass is a fool. She was everywhere back in the day, even on Lucozade (larazade!) bottles. No videogame character had so much mainstream crossover appeal since like, Mario. Also she did crazy shit like shoot Tibetan monks in the face while raiding their monastery, jumped onto a moving boat with a motorbike, installed a heavy weapons range in her countryside home, got into a running gunfight while driving a stolen speedboat through Venice, fought three t-rexes on three separate occasions, infiltrated and then escaped Area 51 by stealing a UFO, ran over a bunch of Italians with a snowmobile, blew up the Great Wall of China, discovered Atlantis and then destroyed all evidence of it 30 minutes later, and killed an actual literal child on a skateboard, among other things.

JarlFrank speaks the unfiltered truth. It always baffles me when people say "well at least Lara has a proper personality in the new games!!" She already had a much better personality in the old games, which the player saw during exciting cutscenes which essentially acted as a reward for completing levels. But being cool, calm and acerbic doesn't count as a personality to many people, I guess, you need to flop to the ground crying about your dead parents every five minutes to qualify as having a "proper personality" in media nowadays.

Lemming42

Arcane
Changing topic a little, I have wondered for years now how a true modern Tomb Raider game might work. The atmosphere of the originals could be replicated - whether the unsettling loneliness and mystery of Tomb Raider 1 or the more action-oriented setpiece-driven excitement of Tomb Raider 2. But how could the actual mechanics be implemented?

The world being made of cubes and grids in the original games was perfect. Players became familiar with it fast, and the rules of movement - Lara can jump about two cubes in height, for example, and she can jump about three (don't quote me on that) grid spaces if a running jump is performed. The player can therefore quickly analyse environments and make determinations - "I could jump up onto this pillar, but I'd never be able to clear the jump to that door over there, so maybe I should try a backflip onto that other pillar instead and see what I can see from up there", and so on. The player also knows that literally any ledge in the game can be climbed on if there's enough space for Lara to grab it, and can therefore plan climbs accordingly.

How do you do that nowadays? People would never accept the tank-controls control scheme or the blocky graphics necessary for a cohesive gameplay system like the originals had. Crystal Dynamics chose to really fuck it up by making movement floaty and weird, and making Lara actually magnetise onto grabbable surfaces. Worse, very few surfaces are actually interactive, and the ones that are are heavily signposted visually, so the game becomes a pointless exercise in grabbing the practically-glowing ledges that the developers have created for you and jumping to the next glowing ledge. Oops, you missed! Don't worry, you magnetised onto it anyway. But I don't know how else they might have been able to do it - there are some modern games that allow the player to climb on almost any terrain (Assassin's Creed Odyssey, for example) but it doesn't seem like it'd be easy to design puzzles around.

toughasnails

The world needs classic 90s Lara back now more than ever.
There is a huge amount of fan made levels and campaigns for classic TR games. And that scene is very much alive and new content is being released although comparatively few people seem to be aware of it (including this place, there are large and long running threads for Doom, thief, Quake etc content but I have never seen anyone mentioning TR related stuff).
This means that you always have an alternative for more 90s style TR... as long as you can handle 90s TR controls.

See that Eidos Montreal logo? :)
New Deus Ex was among the unannounced games listed in that Geforce leak although some party poopers insisted that the entry in question was actually long cancelled Mankind divided sequel. Of course we can always hope...

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
There is a huge amount of fan made levels and campaigns for classic TR games. And that scene is very much alive and new content is being released although comparatively few people seem to be aware of it (including this place, there are large and long running threads for Doom, thief, Quake etc content but I have never seen anyone mentioning TR related stuff).
This means that you always have an alternative for more 90s style TR... as long as you can handle 90s TR controls.

Yeah the Tomb Raider level creation community is putting out levels at a breakneck pace, similar to Doom WADs. There is, of course, a lot of shit but also a lot of genuinely good stuff.

The best place to start is the Hall of Fame: http://hof.trle.net/entriesbyyear.php
And the top levels of the month: https://www.trle.net/pTopM.php

The best part of TR fan levels is that you can just download, unzip, and play them. They all come with the game's exe included and run as their own separate game. That's why in the reviews, people will often refer to these as "game" rather than "level pack" or "mod".

One of my favorites is Himalayan Mysteries by Titak: https://www.trle.net/sc/levelfeatures.php?lid=1793
Solid little campaign with several levels, good puzzles and a bit of action.

Changing topic a little, I have wondered for years now how a true modern Tomb Raider game might work. The atmosphere of the originals could be replicated - whether the unsettling loneliness and mystery of Tomb Raider 1 or the more action-oriented setpiece-driven excitement of Tomb Raider 2. But how could the actual mechanics be implemented?

The world being made of cubes and grids in the original games was perfect. Players became familiar with it fast, and the rules of movement - Lara can jump about two cubes in height, for example, and she can jump about three (don't quote me on that) grid spaces if a running jump is performed. The player can therefore quickly analyse environments and make determinations - "I could jump up onto this pillar, but I'd never be able to clear the jump to that door over there, so maybe I should try a backflip onto that other pillar instead and see what I can see from up there", and so on. The player also knows that literally any ledge in the game can be climbed on if there's enough space for Lara to grab it, and can therefore plan climbs accordingly.

How do you do that nowadays? People would never accept the tank-controls control scheme or the blocky graphics necessary for a cohesive gameplay system like the originals had. Crystal Dynamics chose to really fuck it up by making movement floaty and weird, and making Lara actually magnetise onto grabbable surfaces. Worse, very few surfaces are actually interactive, and the ones that are are heavily signposted visually, so the game becomes a pointless exercise in grabbing the practically-glowing ledges that the developers have created for you and jumping to the next glowing ledge. Oops, you missed! Don't worry, you magnetised onto it anyway. But I don't know how else they might have been able to do it - there are some modern games that allow the player to climb on almost any terrain (Assassin's Creed Odyssey, for example) but it doesn't seem like it'd be easy to design puzzles around.

There are ways of doing it, but the current approach is completely fucking stupid. Only the ledges that look like someone smeared chalk on them can be grabbed!! What a load of crap, really reduces the platforming and environmental puzzling aspects of TR.
First, you need to make every ledge grabbable, every surface walkable. No invisible walls, no ledges that can't be grabbed because the designer forgot to designate it as such. Original TR not only had the block-based architecture, it also had universal rules that applied to every single surface in the same way. All ledges can be grabbed as long as they are straight, and you can shimmy along the edge until you hit a part that's angled. You can pull yourself up onto any surface. If a slope exceeds a certain angle, you will slide down. There are no exceptions, these rules are universal. Artificial signposts like chalk-smeared walls aren't necessary, because the environment is fully consistent in how it works.

Then you also need consistent movement for Lara. Jumping distance while standing, jumping distance while running, etc. Movement in TR is very accurate and always consistent, you don't walk a single step further than you intend to. When you let go of the movement key, Lara stops immediately.

The same system can work perfectly fine even without the block-based architecture. When I play TR, I don't count blocks, I just look at the distance and go with my gut feeling on whether I can make that jump or not. In 99% of cases, that feeling is right, because you tend to develop a sense for distances when you play it a while. You grow familiar enough with Lara's movesets that you can easily intuit where you will land after a jump. There are modern 2D precision platformers that also work perfectly fine without having a strictly grid-based architecture.

You just need to have level design that is high in visual clarity, which is sadly lacking in most modern games.

Curratum

Wait what, what the fuck?

You can make and play custom levels for the older games? First time I hear or see this!

I see 3 fucking THOUSAND levels for TR4...

Can I just get the steam version of this and play the custom levels?

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Does that apply to levels for all games in the series or just TR4? I know that the level editor for TR4 (which came with TR5 funnily enough) was official, so that part makes sense, but I'm pretty sure that the level editors for earlier games are all fan-made, which would make distributing the whole thing slightly questionable.

kangaxx

Arbiter
I played them but couldn't care less about Polygon doll. I played them for the Tomb Raiding.

Better to put it this way... when I played TR on the Sega Saturn as a young teenager I also didn't give much of a toss about Lara's character, because her character was pretty normal for the day's action heroes.

Fast forward a few decades and suddenly Lara is a spoilt, emo moron on extended gap year. So the old one looks brilliant by comparison.

kangaxx

Arbiter
Wait what, what the fuck?

You can make and play custom levels for the older games? First time I hear or see this!

I see 3 fucking THOUSAND levels for TR4...

Can I just get the steam version of this and play the custom levels?

You've missed out. Some of those fan made levels are fucking fantastic.

Pound Meat

Prophet
Also the new one is supposed to connect reboot trilogy with the original Core Design games.

Personally, I'm eager to witness the "cinematic" sequence in which they explain her breast implants...

Nothing bigger than a B cup is the new law of the land. She'll be a lot more manish in the face, too. She'll probably have a black boyfriend, too.

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine

reboot trilogy wasn't released in the 90s and arguably it starred the cutest Lara, I especially liked her cynical wit

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Pound Meat I'm curious so as to what do you need a citation for, I mean the first reboot trilogy of Legend-Anniversary-Underworld, not nu-Lara

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Feminazi Lara is a terrible character. What they did to her with the reboot was basically rape her and turned her into a feminazi icon that uses everyone around her. This is the state of modern gaming run by SJW feminazis. I couldn't finish the third game of the reboot because Lara was such an insufferable cunt to everyone around her and treated her friends like shit. Killing an entire town? No problem for this Lara. Their lives don't matter when compared to the original who would try to avoid civilian casualties.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom