Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity + The White March Expansion Thread

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Come on man, if you're gonna be a damage Paladin, you need a big manly twohander, not some fruitcake one handed toothpicks.

Dual wielding is better for Bleak Walkers (and Kind Wayfarers as well). Dual wielding also allows for the use of heavy armor, while two-handed weapons do not. If i gotta walk around with a paladin wearing light armor i'd rather roll a barbarian.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Come on man, if you're gonna be a damage Paladin, you need a big manly twohander, not some fruitcake one handed toothpicks.

He's playing the edgelord paladin class and statting as such, so it makes sense that he's a closet rogue. :lol:

For the record, i'm just experimenting with ideas here.

I doubt i really need to have dexterity and perception maxed like that. I'm still in doubt about dexterity only because autoattacks on paladins aren't that excting, though from what i read around they are still respectable enough. As for perception, i'm pretty sure even on PoTD you can get accuracy high enough even without maxing perception, at least once you get some good gear going.

I still think for an off tank you actually don't need resolve just because of faith and convinction. Switch to a shield ought to be enough for that even with dumped resolve.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

He's playing the edgelord paladin class and statting as such, so it makes sense that he's a closet rogue. :lol:

I doubt i really need to have dexterity and perception maxed like that. I'm still in doubt about dexterity only because autoattacks on paladins aren't that excting, though from what i read around they are still respectable enough. As for perception, i'm pretty sure even on PoTD you can get accuracy high enough even without maxing perception, at least once you get some good gear going.

I still think for an off tank you actually don't need resolve just because of faith and convinction.

Yeah, don't read too much into my comments. I prefer running a roleplaying stat spread for the most part in any game, so a high resolve and con on paladins is more or less mandatory. Either way, it's basically impossible to screw yourself out of being able to win, and I recommend just starting on PotD for a CRPG veteran like yourself, so do whatever you like to make the character you want to.

PoE is an interesting game though in a few ways, like being designed from the ground up to be RTwP. Dexterity impacts all of your action refreshes, so it actually does give you additional actions over a period of time. Paladins are kind of like their D&D counterparts for being MAD (multiple attribute dependant), so there are a few ways you could go, including a fairly balanced spread, so I generally go with an RP spread -> high resolve, strength, and constitution, decent perception and intelligence, if I have to dump something a bit, it'll tend to be dexterity.

ferratilis

Magister
Is he still doing research?! Just play the game, nigger. You could've been in White March by now, even with the worst build imaginable.

Here's a video of someone defeating Adra Dragon on PotD with a Paladin, with the most basic initial stat spread you can imagine: 13 14 10 10 13 18, literally in the order the game recommends. It's not that hard.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane

Dual wielding is better for Bleak Walkers (and Kind Wayfarers as well). Dual wielding also allows for the use of heavy armor, while two-handed weapons do not. If i gotta walk around with a paladin wearing light armor i'd rather roll a barbarian.
Yeah mechanically dual wielding is the best, but what about style, dawg? Guy in heavy plate armor dual wielding some pansy ass daggers just looks weird, gotta have a big sword or nothing.

Crichton

Prophet
Anyway, just to piss people off here, i decided to come up with a min/max stat distribution for a possible Bleak Walker build, which is the following (this is with a human):

19 8 18 18 10 4 (with Living Lands might would be 20).

At 13 you get Sacred Immolation which may compel me to respect some points out of dexterity and perception and bump int, or i can try to see if i can raise intelligence through items and buffs and see if the duration is enough.

One thing i find interesting about this build is the fact you don't have to bother with ranged strikes and switching weapons around, since according to the discussion in the thread dual wield attacks will actually always be better, even taking into account DR:

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/85885-class-build-bleak-walker-melee-dw-paladin-monster/
WTF; this is just like last time!

You want to play a Paladin, but you cripple your character to dump points into dexterity which:

- Does nothing for disengagement attacks (neither does dual-wielding, you fruit; they're primary attacks)
- Does nothing for Flames of Devotion (you still only get 2 per encounter)
- Does nothing for your aura (why are you dumping intellect?)
- Does nothing for exhortations (still limited per encounter)

https://pillarsofeternity.fandom.com/wiki/Paladin_abilities

Unique ability types
  • Zealous Auras – Modal buffs that affect all allies within 4 meters.
  • Exhortations – Single target buffs.

images

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
You can bump int with buffs in game, not sure i need to start with high int before i get Sacred Immolation.

Now that i remember, last time i upped dexterity precisely because i was going for a two handed build that also wore heavy armor, for the "swag" (basically i was using dexterity to fight off the recovery penalty of the armor).

Orud

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Is he still doing research?! Just play the game, nigger. You could've been in White March by now, even with the worst build imaginable.
The dude's been whining for over a year now about how it's a travesty that 2-handed Paladins wearing heavy armor isn't the defacto best way to build a Paladin, despite plenty of people telling him they're more than viable. Don't bother with him.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

Yeah mechanically dual wielding is the best, but what about style, dawg? Guy in heavy plate armor dual wielding some pansy ass daggers just looks weird, gotta have a big sword or nothing.

I tried that already. It just bugged me that mechanically two handed and heavy armor don't go toghether (thanks, Sawyer). PoTD isn't anywhere near as unforgiving as Heart of Fury but it can be frustrating enough. One of the things i dislike the most in those kind of games is having to reload to cheese the RNG because i find myself short of actual strategic options.

Paladin DPS isn't the greatest even in the best case scenario gimping it further may make for a rather boring character.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
The dude's been whining for over a year now about how it's a travesty that 2-handed Paladins wearing heavy armor isn't the defacto best way to build a Paladin, despite plenty of people telling him they're more than viable. Don't bother with him.

Lmao bitch it was you guys who told me not to bother with two handed, that dual wielding was better for paladins (because you hit twice with FoD, that was one of the first things you guys told me). That's why i started screeching in the first place.

"Viable" is a relative term. Everything is "viable" in those kind of games since you can just reload until you luck out on the RNG that's neither here nor there. Viable for me means the character is actually contributing in a significant way. I still have half a mind of trying a barbarian i just got side tracked because that Bleak Walker caught my fancy conceptually. The idea of achieving justice by means of being a dick is such a Sawyery concept but it's also kinda of interesting.

Lastly, dual wielding is the intended way specifically for the Bleak Walker, so much so you even get a weapon for it (Bittercut). My first guy was a Darcozzi, where two handed was more viable because of Inspiring Liberation but like i said the "clever" dialog choices made the guy sound like a try hard millenial just wasn't feeling it.

Last edited:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

I still think for an off tank you actually don't need resolve just because of faith and convinction. Switch to a shield ought to be enough for that even with dumped resolve.
Well, in these games stacking what you're best at tends to be the most effective way to play ( Faith and Conviction AND high Resolve in case of Paladin).
Also didn't Resolve reduce the length of debuffs? If so, that'd be necessary to use Sacred Immolation well. Although that might have been a Deadfire thing.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Intelligence affects lenght of buffs or debuffs, not resolve.

Focusing on that you are good seems good on paper but unless the paladin is your main tank i don't see the point of building him that way. If you shove Eder up front you are better served with someone capable of wrecking enemies instead of a second tank. An off tank doesn't need to be as durable as a main tank and by focusing on dps the paladin has something else to contribute to the party besides being an aura bot or occational healer or buffer. I mean, i would think. A chanter would seem more useful than a paladin that has maxed his defences but isn't the main tank.

Lastly, Bleak Walkers are supposed to be killers, aren't they? If i wanted a paladin as a support class only i'd go for something like this:

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/89995-class-build-counselor-ploi-charming-paladin-supporter-tank/

A good compromise would be this i guess:

20 8 15 16 15 4, with food, buffs or items bumping what you like best. Could even keep this at 13 for Sacred Immolation. Just bump intelligence with food and stuff, no need to respec. In fact, i think i'm gonna go with this. Just switched to public beta they better not fuck up my save when the patch is out.

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Ok, so dex doesn't do much for a dual wielding after all:

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/88105-dual-wielding-do-you-need-high-dexterity/

Especially for a Bleak Walker where dual wielding is better than an arquebus, all the more so once you get your hands on Bittercut, but also for a rogue apparently. So basically much like the intelligent barbarians or the muscle bound wizards, Sawyer even found a way to turn rogues around since they don't actually need dexterity. So two handing? Raise dexterity and wear no armor. Dual wielding? Raise might and wear plate doesn't matter lmao.

What drives a man like this? Lust for gold? Power? Or was he just born with an heart full of balance?

[EDIT] Wait nevermind the speed of sabres is average. So i guess the above only applies to rogues using shit like daggers.

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Never finished the game so i can't rate it. From what i experienced so far, i'd say it's "above average" by classic RPG standards but gets a few extra points compared to modern RPGs.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
BTW, i was checking out the achievements and noticed there's an achievement that's impossible to obtain, the kickstarter backer achievement. I found this mod on Nexus:

https://www.nexusmods.com/pillarsof...H6QAD_KDaKvwtlKzr9i.k-1713721947-0.0.1.1-1535

But when i tried it the game doesn't even launch, but maybe it's because i switched to the public beta. Anybody wanna try it? I'm not sure i want to revert from the beta just for this, downloading the whole game once again, but if it works it may be best to do it before the full patch gets released.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom