Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Darkness Poll: Greatest computer RPG development studios of all time.

What is the greatest computer RPG dev studio of all time?

• Black Isle Studios

Votes: 86 45.3%
  • Bioware

Votes: 12 6.3%
  • Troika

Votes: 76 40.0%
  • Bethesda

Votes: 9 4.7%
  • Obsidian

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • Piranha Bytes

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • Sir-Tech

Votes: 48 25.3%
  • Ion Storm

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • From Software

Votes: 10 5.3%
  • Dynamix

• MicroProse

• Looking Glass Studios

Votes: 17 8.9%
  • CD Projekt Red

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • New World Computing

Votes: 24 12.6%
  • Heroic Fantasy Games

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Attic Entertainment

• Strategic Simulations Inc (SSI)

Votes: 35 18.4%
  • Origin Systems

Votes: 15 7.9%
  • Sierra Studios

• Arkane Studios

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • Spiderweb Software

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Blue Byte

• Radon Labs

• A Sharp

• Eidos Montreal

• Larian

Votes: 8 4.2%
  • TaleWorlds

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • FTL Games

• Westwood Studios

• Toys for Bob

• Heuristic Park

• Iron Tower Studios

Votes: 12 6.3%
  • Owlcat Games

• Stygian Software

Votes: 8 4.2%
  • Golden Era Games

Votes: 16 8.4%
  • Harebrained Schemes

• Capcom

• Warhorse Studios

• Overhype Studios

• Platinum Games

• Lo-Fi Games

• Blizzard

• Logic Artists

• inXile

• Silver Style Entertainment

• MindCraft

• Sylmarils

• Thalion

• Event Horizon

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Fanboying for companies = :decline:

Respecting individual devs/writers = :incline:

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Fanboying for companies = :decline:

Respecting individual devs/writers = :incline:

Lol, when you see how great devs turned out, i prefer admiring great companies which never stopped developping great games until they died.

Example :
Jullian Gollop "alone" >> Laserdisc shit game :shittydog::shittydog::shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
Julian Gollop with MICROPROSE >> UFO ... :obviously::obviously::obviously::obviously::obviously:
Julian Gollop back to the roots without Microprose and even using all Microprose brought to the table to turn this laserdisc thing into UFO >> Phoenix Point :shittydog::shittydog::shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Another phony that can't deliver if not backed by a legendary dev team.

QED...

About the poll, i noticed a "burst" of Black Isles votes yesterday and now, a burst of TroĂŻka votes.
I'm not saying someone used 20 alts to pull a felipepe but ... in fact, that's what i'm saying!

Tihskael

Learned
Only two votes for Bethesda?
flat,750x,075,f-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.u8.jpg

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Hard choices...
Well, SSI is an obvious choice, even if they didn't develop all their games, only published some (like Phantasie). But a very strong legacy with the Gold Box games in particular.
Also voted for NWC since Might&Magic is overall my favourite franchise. Not only were their CRPGs very good (1-2, 6-7 in particular), but the Heroes series was also brilliant. Even Dark Messiah was good.
Honourable mentions to FTL and Looking Glass for their highly innovative games, but their total RPG output is rather low.
Bioware is too tainted with later romance simulators and generally moving in totally wrong direction after the IE games.
Watching MattChat's interviews with one of the Siroteks and Brenda Romero, and reading Cleve's stories about Sir-Tech makes me not want to vote for Sir-Tech, despite the overall high quality of their games.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Pardon me if one was already done, but Google doesn't return anything. Vote! Up to 3 choices allowed and the poll will close in 2 weeks. Computer RPGs as in RPGs at some point available on the computer, so studios making ports count too.
:hmmm:
Nigga you should have made it public,that way we could have see which account is fargo's,as it has only one vote.

Alex

Arcane
I voted for Troika.

By the way, the poll shouldn't be multiple choice, since the question in the title is "greatest computer RPG dev of all time"; in the singular.

just

Liturgist
maybe not objectively the greatest but i can vote what i want it's a free forum so piranha bytes

Momock

Augur
Where is Falcom? They're the only japs who developped primarily for PC for ages.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Watching MattChat's interviews with one of the Siroteks and Brenda Romero, and reading Cleve's stories about Sir-Tech makes me not want to vote for Sir-Tech, despite the overall high quality of their games.

Who cares?
That's exactly what the steamtard brigade did to Grimoire through bad reviews.

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
I had to vote for Microprose because of Darklands (which is greater than Fallout, fight me), Sword of the Samurai (lovely historical RPG/strategy/arcade hybrid, with a well made morality system and systemic faction intrigue), and Pirates! They made only a few role-playing games, but they were all extremely ambitious and very well made, with unique settings and systems that cater to my inner similationfag. And besides, they made also some outstanding strategy and simulation games, which automatically puts them above similar ambitious studios like Troika.

I think Black Isle is really overrated, both Fallout and Planescape: Torment are great, but their other games are forgettable, and there were many many duds. Unless of course we also count older Interplay games like Wasteland, Dragon Wars and The Bard's Tale, but still...
Same with SSI, which was all about quantity over quality. After striking gold with Pool of Radiance they lost all their drive and never aimed to improve their game (Dark Sun was too little too late), and I just can't respect that.

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
It doesn’t matter if they were a nightmarish whorehouse of a company, Sir-Tech is the only one whose flagship franchises never declined under their helm.

I dare you to say the same about any other company on that list.

Last edited:

Alex

Arcane
I had to vote for Microprose because of Darklands (which is greater than Fallout, fight me), Sword of the Samurai (lovely historical RPG/strategy/arcade hybrid, with a well made morality system and systemic faction intrigue), and Pirates! They made only a few role-playing games, but they were all extremely ambitious and very well made, with unique settings and systems that cater to my inner similationfag. And besides, they made also some outstanding strategy and simulation games, which automatically puts them above similar ambitious studios like Troika.

I think Black Isle is really overrated, both Fallout and Planescape: Torment are great, but their other games are forgettable, and there were many many duds. Unless of course we also count older Interplay games like Wasteland, Dragon Wars and The Bard's Tale, but still...
Same with SSI, which was all about quantity over quality. After striking gold with Pool of Radiance they lost all their drive and never aimed to improve their game (Dark Sun was too little too late), and I just can't respect that.

No love for bloodnet? I mean, from as far as I got in the game, I believe it was a failure; but I would argue it does show the ambition Microprose had in its games pretty well.

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
No love for bloodnet? I mean, from as far as I got in the game, I believe it was a failure; but I would argue it does show the ambition Microprose had in its games pretty well.
I've never tried it because of some abysmal reviews. Is it worth it?

Alex

Arcane
I think it is worth taking a look just to see what it could have been. I haven't played much myself, actually. I understand a lot of the skills in the game are, sadly, useless; and I heard many people complain of game stopping bugs, as well as it being linear.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I voted for NWC,PB and troika. It is really depressing to see that people voted for sirtech and not for NWC,which is clearly a superior company with superior products. Ahhh plebs will always be plebs.

EDIT:Changed troika for looking glass :),did't saw it the first time.

Last edited:

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

Who cares?

Retarded bosses also do not a studio make, there are lots of unsung heroes below them that shape our favorite games

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Who cares?

Retarded bosses also do not a studio make, there are lots of unsung heroes below them that shape our favorite games
Ahh both sirtech and ssi died mainly to stagnation. They were releasing the same thing over and over again and people got bored out of it. The just couldn't keep up with innovation and run out of creative talent. They are similar to ubisoft and bethesda in that way,making the same game for 10th time.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
Toys for Bob is obviously the best. On their site there is a button to reject all the cookies.
Just. One. Click. To. Reject. All. Cookies. At. The. Same. Time.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Which part is not true Grauken ? Liking/disliking their games aside,it is how they died out. Dwindling interest in their games and lack of creativeness.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom