Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Rocksteady's Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League out now

Silverfish

Arbiter
New Game Plus is a really shitty excuse for pulling perma-missable shit like this.

If the items or upgrades that can be permanently missed were critical to progression or exploration I'd agree, but 90% of the stuff you get in the Arkham games is just fluff.

gh ye guys hai wsaz asdtoiiohnjished to lealhr4ek t here is alreafyh a thrtea acout batnjmabhn arhkhame games comr lcvil,ke quikckl hu5rry >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

This is a continuation of the Arkham series and also no one likes it so tangents only improve the thread.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Okay, maybe not cartoon jaw, but almost no one on the planet has a jaw like that,

That's fucking crazy. Almost no one on the planet dresses up with bats all over their clothes and beats up criminals using dumb bat shaped weapons either. I wonder if these things are related.

View attachment 46485
A bit rich coming from you who brofisted that guy who implied Batman's jaw is normal. Now you concede almost no one on the planet has a jaw like that. Seems to me like you can't decide if these games lean stylistically towards realism or the unrealistic (a jaw like that being possible, I guess, but extremely rare, thus unrealistic). Which is the problem with the art style/graphics. It's fuggly in between the two. Bland look for realistically textured Batman. Would prefer a handsome but believable (bone-wise) fellow who built himself into a muscular athlete.

Just an aside but on a scale of 1-10, would you say that your autism is 15 or 20?

Ezekiel

Arcane
Taking screenshots of the character trophies now before I decide if I wanna make the big post shitting on the character designs in Arkham City. Depends on my passion.

You know what bothers me right now? Listening to the menu music and remembering how bland all the Batman music since Batman Begins has been. The games and animated movies had to copy the Hans Zimmer style. I don't know how to describe it.

Hans Zimmer was never that talented. Even back in the day with movies like Rainman he composed moods rather than memorable melodies. I have no idea why the film got him the Academy Award nomination. Nikita by Eric Serra sounds far cooler than Zimmer's Point of No Return. Anyway, modern Batman scores, including the games, are such a far cry from the MELODIES in Danny Elfman's Batman and Batman Returns and the work Shirley Walker supervised and sometimes composed herself in the animated series.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Jesus, that's a ton of characters. Yeah, I'm gonna say your claim that the story is small enough (and presumably that my Batman game made of shorter campaigns wouldn't be better) is BS. Can't remember what it was actually about years later, and probably had trouble following it even at the time.

The overdesign in the characters is kind of grotesque.

Last edited:

Ezekiel

Arcane
Batman-Arkham-City-2024-02-11-15-50-1-result.jpg

Batman-Arkham-City-2024-02-11-15-50-result.jpg

I don't understand what they were going for. If the layer with the hexagonal patterns beneath is a bodysuit, then why the flat layers that are split all over on top? I guess it's all sewn together, with the top layer acting as stronger protection, but the straps resembling garters over her butt make it confusing. The way the top layer of the back of the legs makes those flat angles as it runs down makes no sense from a utility perspective, nor does it look sexy.

The zipper goes too low. If you go that low, you might as well continue over the whole pelvis, and then it will just look fetish. How low she has the puller and how the artists relied on rigid graphics to keep the open part of her suit always standing up like that bothers me too.

The high collar doesn't work for me either, because of how open the chest already is. If they wanted a prominent collar, then they should have started the zipper and collar at her cleavage, similar to this:

catwoman-harley-quinn-jpg-webp-92.jpg

Forgive me if that Harley show sucks. Haven't watched it, only using part of the design as an example.

If the suit has to be made of two layers, I would prefer a rear that didn't look so thong-like. She looks like a whore.

The patterns and angles, how they're so intricately sewn together, imply that she has the same resources as Batman, that she can order expensive military/police grade equipment in sectionals (in bulk to reduce suspicion) and then finish putting them together herself, like in Batman Begins.

If you look at her neck, you will notice that the mask and choker are, idiotically, a single piece separated by two straps. Either have the mask cover her whole neck or separate the choker. This way it just looks needlessly complicated.

Definitely over-designed.

Last edited:

Ezekiel

Arcane
Bane, Clayface, Killer Croc and Solomon Grundy. Some in the animated series were more charming than others, but here they just chose exceedingly grotesque for all of 'em. You don't even feel sympathy for any of them anymore because there's no humanity left. They're just over-designed monsters. Solomon Grundy is the only one you can make an excuse for. Would still prefer a lighter glow for his eyes, though. Actually, he's too roided out and big, even looking at some of the versions in other media. Bane's hoses look stupid. His head is too low or his upper back is too high or both. Almost looks like the back of his head comes out of the neck. Like his brain goes into his neck.

Artist Benjamin Flynn is a loser.

Batman-Arkham-City-2024-02-11-16-06-2-result.jpg

Batman-Arkham-City-2024-02-11-16-07-result.jpg

Batman-Arkham-City-2024-02-11-16-09-1-result.jpg

Batman-Arkham-City-2024-02-11-16-18-3-result.jpg

Last edited:

Ezekiel

Arcane
Seems like the artist was just told, "Make it edgy."

Batman-Arkham-City-2024-02-11-16-08-result.jpg

Prostitute. The tats complete the trashy look. Certainly giant decline from the original jester look. Also, you can't give both Catwoman and Harley chokers.

Batman-Arkham-City-2024-02-11-16-09-result.jpg

Bizarre chin, considering how all the other regular humans look. Yet everything else about him, structurally, is realistic.

Batman-Arkham-City-2024-02-11-16-06-1-result.jpg

Too angular. Too much detail. Looks like a big toy.

Ezekiel

Arcane
The man himself.

roided.jpg

Horrible. Just so badly balanced. They put so much muscle on him that he looks, weirdly, small from some angles. Again, hate how metallic and heavy/bulky the gloves and boots are.

Last edited:

Ezekiel

Arcane
Worse shit in the series was the "detective mode". You press a button and you can see behind walls, among other shit. It simplified the whole detective gimmick. I hated that and hated that even that dumb Tomb Raider remake game had it.
And, of course, X-ray vision makes the predator situations more boring, which also suck because they never flow into action like in Metal Gear Solid or any decent stealth-action game. You HAVE to beat this section sneakily or they will likely kill you. One person sees you and they all know telepathically. A good Batman game would let you transition from stealth to action back to stealth. Why are they so much more lethal when you're a predator? Yet the action is too easy, so flowing from action to stealth and back wouldn't work anyway. A Batman game that's also about the stealth should not have combat in which you can beat up fifteen people at the same time, endlessly. Also, again, why do the shadows of Splinter Cell not play a role in a Batman game? I mean, I know the answer. It's designed to be enjoyed by idiots.

Silverfish

Arbiter
It's designed to be enjoyed by idiots.

I don't know about that. A game made for idiots wouldn't have hooks / gargoyles / tiny, useless ledges inside every building to suspend the bad guys from.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom