Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Role-Player's RPG Roundtable #3: Character Creation

Shevek

Arcane
First, the diversity aspect. Is it better to give players more diverse character options that might end up being superfluous (but appealing, nonetheless), or better to limit them and focus on what's really important (but ending up with a somewhat dry character creation)?

I really liked the customization aspects of BG. Yes, it was superfluous but that didnt stop me from making my own voice sets/character portraits. I say, if its easy enough to implement and it adds something to personalize the experience for the player, why not? I think skin color selection is actually a pretty big deal, btw. No one is "raceless" despite whatever they may claim and if you want to play a character you identify with, skin color could be fairly important to that.

Also, are inventory avatars important?

They are cool but less useful now. Before, you couldnt really see details on your characters in these games but this is less the case. Still, if its needed, Daggerfall did these really well.

Second, what system do you feel allowed for better character creation?

That depends entirely on the individual game. Class based systems are alright for party based games but if you only control one guy then a skill based system is preferable. I think all systems have the capacity to have decent character creation. One thing I didnt like about the Wizardry system is all the wierd ways you have to level your guy (you can start off as one kind of mage then switch to bishop for better stats than just making a bishop or somesuch, it was pretty confusing - the classes themselves were unbalanced, no less).

Third, what kind of system do you prefer for character creation?

Let me give you an example of one I DONT like. This is from Realms of Arkania (a game series I liked overall). Every character has an absurd amount of stats which include a massive skill/spell list, base stats and weaknesses. First, you choose stats and weaknesses - you roll + shift points around. If you hit on the magic numbers, then you select a class (if you dont, start over). Then, allocate a few points to the massive skill selection (dotted with seemingly useless skills like "use rope"). Everytime you add a skill, it rolls to see whether or not you succeed. If you dont, the point is lost. After a few attempts, you cant improve a skill further. Ugh. Whats the point? Less rolling please. Just give me a point buy system if the system is skill based.

As to whether to ask the player a bunch of questions or give him a stat sheet, I say stat sheet.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Holy thread ressurection, Batman! :)

kris said:
I find it how you customise your look/avatar to be a important part in putting in his personality and persona. Regardless of me making a old "favourite" character or a completly new one. Of course even more important in MMORPGs (WoW I cry for thee).

I think customizing one's avatar is important but specifically customizing the appearance isn't something I find terribly worthwile and as character-defining as skills are. The later ones seem to define a character a lot more in a virtual gameworld: a character may succeed or fail depending on his skills, may find allegiance or dispise from NPCs depending on his skills, may have doors open or closed to him depending on his skills. Whereas the PC's blue hair and hazel eyes are unknown and largely irrelevant to NPCs. We're lucky if our character's race gets a mention or a reaction from NPCs.

Of course nothing prevents such recognition from being coded into the game. To be honest I think defining one's appearance in a MMORPG - wheter the avatar customization deals with PC specific features such as eye color or avatar specific features such as full armor set - is a lot more important (as you say so yourself), because the social network of MMORPGs, being comprised of mostly human players, can easilly and effectivelly recognize such a feature. Even side stepping the dubious virtues of a PC's aesthetics such features are pretty neglected by a gameworld and its inhabitants because they are both not accounted for and because outlets to make them feel important simply aren't created (or worthwhile in my opinion). The transition to the online field, at least, allows these features to be given considerably more attention and relevance (even if somewhat contrived) by users. Specific cases such as a need to know how another player looks, or recognizing party members, or knowing who belongs to your alliance based on the armor they wear or flag they carry come to mind. Bounties would also be another example.

But even then, the problem of limited avatar selection or customization rears its ugly head. All characters draw their features from the same pool of features so eventually there is a chance for characters of equal features. A name, on the other hand, is much more descriptive in these cases.

kris said:
Dragon age. I am sure you all heard about it, how your background will affect the game. from all I heard especially the early part will be affected. This is a option I LOVE. Of course I will only love it if they make it good and engaging. This is also one of those things that you can really use in PnP games to make it more enganing, Background options that create roleplaying possibilities. Be it talents and disadvantages (Rolemaster have a whole separate book about it). It can be a cityguard captain as friend (often vowed into computer games story that you can't affect), family (numerous of opportunities and I would love to have that as an dynamic option in games, read this Dargaon age developer! :D) a demon bond to your soul and so on. Problem with most computer games is that they use one or two options like this (Imoen halfsister, spirit of Lionheart etc) and you have no choice whatsoever.

I agree with that and think this should be the next logical step following Backgrounds. For the most part backgrounds in CRPGs are either a long story created by the developers which does nothing for the character, is of little to no consequence to him, or is only a small blurb which generally affects some skills and statistics both in positive and negative ways. Granted, some have a definite impact in the character's experiences in the game; Fallout's Traits and Arcanum's Backgrounds certainly did this. But there is always a feeling that there could be a bit more placed into the game, your examples being a good idea of it.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Since I never posted in this thread, I'll weigh in now.

I'd really like to see both aspects of character creation in a system. I want to be able to tune my stats at the start, but I'd also like to customize my character's appearance as well.

I want a game where I can tailor myself to be, statistically, how I want to start the game. If I'm planning on being a tough-as-nails brute fightery type, I want to enhance my strength, endurance, and so on. If I'm playing a swift ranged fighter, I want to be able to give myself a little edge there as well.

Although, sometimes I like to tailor my statistics in a manner that I know I may use something later on, but I don't want to invest much in it during the course of development. I may want to raise my charisma early so I don't have to deal with it for a while.

That said, I also want to be able to customize my appearance. A few years ago, I would have said I could care less about this. However, when I started playing Bloodlines after playing gobs of games that did allow you to customize your appearance, I really noticed what it was like not to have those options. While they're mostly cosmetic, being able to have a type of character look different from other people who have made similar characters is a nice thing.

TheGreatGodPan

Arbiter
I wish I had been here when Role Player started his series of threads. I'll make this short: I don't really care about cosmetic stuff. Being asked questions is good for alignment (and it was cool with Ultima's virtues) but that's about it for me. I don't really like class systems, people in real life can have jobs but nothing really stops them from trying their hand at something else (now when is someone going to make a CRPG based on Call of Cthulhu's BRP system?). I think you should be able to change your alignment/karma all throughout the game through your actions. At the beginning of the game you should set your stats, but the bulk of character development should occur when you play through. Backgrounds are great though.
Here is a really cool quiz I found written by an alright guy I used to discuss time-travel with. It's focused on p&p RPGs and might not translate well to computers, but I thought it was very interesting (if you don't know much about GNS/DFK theory though, you should probably read up on it). My results were kind of a mix, but it has become a long-distance goal for me to create a CRPG with Narrative goals and Drama mechanics (that part will be the toughest). I wrote a bit about planning such a game on a different forum

kris

Arcane
Role-Player said:
Holy thread ressurection, Batman! :)

If you only knew how many characters I created in PnP over the years :D

I think customizing one's avatar is important but specifically customizing the appearance isn't something I find terribly worthwile and as character-defining as skills are. The later ones seem to define a character a lot more in a virtual gameworld: a character may succeed or fail depending on his skills, may find allegiance or dispise from NPCs depending on his skills, may have doors open or closed to him depending on his skills. Whereas the PC's blue hair and hazel eyes are unknown and largely irrelevant to NPCs. We're lucky if our character's race gets a mention or a reaction from NPCs.

The appearance is not important just for the reason stated, they don't affect the gameworld. (except if there as Beauty ability and such) But as long as making possibilities to have many options here is not hard to implement (3d model cost nowadays...) I see no reason to restrict this. Making loads of little BG avatars should be really easy to put in the game and I see no reason for me not being able to choose all relevant choices. Preferably all games would have the possibilities of SWG, they really got the customisation right. If anything, the most overlooked avatar customisation that could affect the world is the BODY SHAPE. Tall, short, fat and so on. Only ever on this was Fallout again with their Sex appeal, but that is only close to it.

Of course nothing prevents such recognition from being coded into the game.

to be fair, apart from the body shapes I mentioned above it is not really important in any way. Like many little other things it just adds to immersement a bit.

I agree with that and think this should be the next logical step following Backgrounds. For the most part backgrounds in CRPGs are either a long story created by the developers which does nothing for the character, is of little to no consequence to him, or is only a small blurb which generally affects some skills and statistics both in positive and negative ways. Granted, some have a definite impact in the character's experiences in the game; Fallout's Traits and Arcanum's Backgrounds certainly did this. But there is always a feeling that there could be a bit more placed into the game, your examples being a good idea of it.

I could spend days coming up with examples for this. I must really say that this notion of playing trough childhood in some way to determine things is really interesting. While Fable aimed for it, it seems they did almost nothing except giving some good/evil points (AFAIK). They had so much potential there, instead of just having "family must die and you can't stop it" then they could have means to do that and the effects of it. Someone you are mean to when as a kid will seek revenge when you are old. Someone you helped will help you 10 years later and so on. Many of these things are not even hard to implement.

I made some characters in Daggerfall recently. and as mentioned I liked how questions could build a background story. Now I didn't play the game, but is it safe to assume those background choices had no other effect than a straight one on you? Otherwise they had some great potential for roleplaying with things like "You have a hatred for priests" and "You where intimate with a assasin".

Like in Arcanum where you are by storyreasons attacked by "Molochan hand" in random encounters, why not make this into the players choice? He choose someone that are his enemies and get more random encounters with them? (where they are likely to be hostile)

TheGreatGodPan said:
I don't really like class systems, people in real life can have jobs but nothing really stops them from trying their hand at something else (now when is someone going to make a CRPG based on Call of Cthulhu's BRP system?). I think you should be able to change your alignment/karma all throughout the game through your actions. At the beginning of the game you should set your stats, but the bulk of character development should occur when you play through.

Classsystems make more sense in medieval style RPGs and when you make a character that isn't that young. If you make a 25 year old character then it is very likely he have set most of his goals in life and have a training and background that is quite set. to begin on something new may prove more costful than benefitting. Jack of all trades was much more rare in medieval times, but IMO a character should never be stopped from learning a bit outside his sphere, it should just be a bit harder and possible at some other cost.

Character development should occur when you play trough? That depends on what you mean with character development and again we could mention the age thingy.

Saint_Proverbius said:
. While they're mostly cosmetic, being able to have a type of character look different from other people who have made similar characters is a nice thing.

We humans like to put personality into appearance, I know I do. It really feels part of a character I created.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Saint_Proverbius said:
A few years ago, I would have said I could care less about this. However, when I started playing Bloodlines after playing gobs of games that did allow you to customize your appearance, I really noticed what it was like not to have those options. While they're mostly cosmetic, being able to have a type of character look different from other people who have made similar characters is a nice thing.

But there is a difference between having a character who is visually different from others around him and being able to vastly customize his appearance. Bloodlines's visual customization for instance was almost nonexistant as it had only one model and skin for each PC model. And while it was distinct from several models it was basically repeated by almost all other vampires from the PC's race (I was surprised to find my Gangrel PC and Gangrel enemies had the same appearance).

The way that better allowed players to differentiate their PC from others characters in the gameworld in an aesthetic sense was via using different types of clothing. And I think there were still a handfull of cases where not even that worked.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
kris said:
But as long as making possibilities to have many options here is not hard to implement (3d model cost nowadays...) I see no reason to restrict this.

Yes, the technology and resources available today allow for this kind of customization in a much better way, and there's not much of a reason to restrict it. I am not an apologist of removing it altogether. I just believe that not only most gamers tend to focus a lot on these features, when they're just icing on the cake at best, largely irrelevant at worst; but also that if such features aren't particularly useful or have an impact on the gameworld then they should be kept to a minimum.

If anything, the most overlooked avatar customisation that could affect the world is the BODY SHAPE. Tall, short, fat and so on.

I think I promoted this around here in the past after playing with the character 'creation' system of Phantasy Star Online.

to be fair, apart from the body shapes I mentioned above it is not really important in any way. Like many little other things it just adds to immersement a bit.

True.

I could spend days coming up with examples for this.

It really seems like a good idea. Something else to add to the game instead of the statistical changes and implied past occurences. If my character hates priests he should really reflect this in game, not just have a penalty to Priest spells or some other game mechanic.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
kris said:
We humans like to put personality into appearance, I know I do. It really feels part of a character I created.

Quickly sidestepping the issue for a moment... It just occured to me this is yet another thing that troubles me when it comes to players who advocate realism in games. Realistically we don't choose our features, but some are apologist of character creation systems which allow them to vastly change the aesthetical properties of their characters.

From a realistic standpoint we don't choose our features - though we can change them. It seems safe to assume that character creation systems that give characters general, unchangeable features but then allows them to change such features over the course of the game would be more interesting and more realistic (for those that care for it). This could go from wearing mascara to tattoos to using different hairstlyes and accessories like glasses or hell, contact lenses even.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
No, we don't. But we also don't determine our strength, intelligence, etc. either. That said, it's entirely possible to tweak aspects of the creation of the look of the character based on the attribute scores of the character.

WillyBubba

Novice
As long as you're talking about providing a quick way to get through the the char creation 'skit', why not just provide a button that says "randomly generate a character"? The game then chooses skills and appearance, generates a name and anything else. Then bring up the template to show what the engine has come up with it, allowing the player to make adjustments if necessary and then jump right into the game.

Human Shield

Augur
Role-Player said:
kris said:

Quickly sidestepping the issue for a moment... It just occured to me this is yet another thing that troubles me when it comes to players who advocate realism in games. Realistically we don't choose our features, but some are apologist of character creation systems which allow them to vastly change the aesthetical properties of their characters.

From a realistic standpoint we don't choose our features - though we can change them. It seems safe to assume that character creation systems that give characters general, unchangeable features but then allows them to change such features over the course of the game would be more interesting and more realistic (for those that care for it). This could go from wearing mascara to tattoos to using different hairstlyes and accessories like glasses or hell, contact lenses even.

This is retarded. Is a writer being "unrealistic" when he describes a fictional character, but realistically he shouldn't be able to choose how someone looks because they are born that way LOL! The process of creating a character means creating a character, not being assigned a piece of DNA.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Human Shield said:
This is retarded. Is a writer being "unrealistic" when he describes a fictional character

In the case of writing it's assumed a character already exists and the writer is describing all that would describe the character he created in a fictional world. No problem there.

but realistically he shouldn't be able to choose how someone looks because they are born that way LOL!

Realistically, he can't choose or alter how someone looks on a genetic level. Only surface changes can be made.

The process of creating a character means creating a character, not being assigned a piece of DNA.

Then again how many times do you actually create, rather than toggle a fixed avatar with limited options, a character in RPGs?

Shevek

Arcane
That said, it's entirely possible to tweak aspects of the creation of the look of the character based on the attribute scores of the character.

That would seem to me to be pretty tough to do.

Add constitution means add more mass..ok
Add strength means add more tone...ok
Add charisma means add more...prettiness? (maybe remove scars/blemishes I guess...pretty up the hair...)

Neat Idea but seems that would take quite a bit to implement. It would look cool when someone cast stat buffs/debuffs on you though.

Shevek

Arcane
"constitution

1. The physical makeup of a body, including the mode of performance of its functions, the activity of its metabolic processes, the manner and degree of its reactions to stimuli, and its power of resistance to the attack of pathogenic organisms."

I guess you would be right that someone who is overweight would not have a particularly good constitution. That being said, the opposite side of the spectrum (like Bale in The Machinist) is not representative of good constitution either. I guess thats one of those problems in trying to make a system where looks reflect stats.

Second Chance

Liturgist
I personally always enjoyed char creations like the ones on Megatraveller or Darklands

In Darklands for example, you could choose which profession you took in each 4 year interval. So for example you could say you were in the army from 18 to 22 (increases some physical stats), then you lived in a monastery from 22-26 (increases piety etc), and start the game at 26. You could have a party of alchemists and priests aged 40+, and warriors aged 18-30 for example.

On megatraveller, during char creation there was also that choice a profession during an age interval, but there was also always a % chance you'd succeed in your profession or not. For example, you enter the army and you could get promoted... or sent off :)

Section8

Cipher
First, the diversity aspect. Are inventory avatars important? Etc

Superfluous diversity is important in social games. It certainly doesn't detract from a single player game, but I think one of the best rules of thumb to use here is that unless the game accounts for a choice, then it can be done without, if there's more important things potentially on the chopping block.

The comparison, is that a social game has other players to respond to your choices. Also, quite importantly, the ability to individualise and visually and descriptively convey your persona. Whereas in a single player game, I'll admit I like to customise the most trivial of details, but I can live without it.

The fun starts when you introduce reactions to choices, such as inate character traits like gender, race, or anything else somebody is likely to harbour an irrational prejudice against. Likewise choices made throughout the game are essential to a quality role-playing experience. This is what made Arcanum shine for me. There was such a richness added to the game world when NPCs react accordingly to race, gender, "nudity" but even better, there were plenty of opportunities to explore these issues and prejudices, and if nothing else it gives you a good basis for a good/evil demarkation. Being a bigoted, hateful fuck is definitely more evil than asking the good guys you just helped to pay you more money.

I also like to see this kind of thing really tightened up and portioned out accordingly. I believe freedom of choice is important, but I also actively encourage certain choices to be denied by the game world, as opposed to the game itself. An important distinction.

A game world will deny choice through it's inhabitants, ie, "you can't join the thieves guild because you're a fucking do-gooder" through obvious decisions, such as the player being completely unskilled to the point of miserable failure with certain items that they can freely choose despite the crippling handicap.

A game will flat out refuse to let you do something because you haven't met the requirements dictated by a game mechanic. Generally not a good way to go, but sometimes a necessary evil, System Shock 2 being the best example off the top of my head. Since a stat based FPS generally gives the player enough rope to circumvent character skill deficiencies through the player's own skill, tightening the stat restrictions to outright exlclusion makes a great deal of sense, and in this respect System Shock 2 comes out ahead of it's successors.

I've never been a fan of the Morrowind/IE/NWN credo that the player should be able to experience nearly everything the game has to offer in a single character's lifetime/story. Making player choices dramatic lends so much to the narrative and the player's sense of influence. And then there's replayability, which gives me wood.

Second, what system do you feel allowed for better character creation?

Anything that's ongoing is good with me, ie character development as opposed to merely creation. In most cases, statistic growth is pretty bland, getting slowly better at doing something isn't particularly exciting, but nonetheless essential in any game with a difficulty curve*. Feats, Perks and other such major character choices add a lot to a character system, especially if they extend the "toolset" a character has at their disposal rather than just a remarkable increase in a certain ability.

SPECIAL pretty much nailed a lot of what I look for in a character system. The drastic impact of varied base stats (such as low intelligence on NPC interaction) was a very positive feature, but it was definitely not without fault. "Gifted" became a bit of an ueber trait (if you're not averse to munchkinism) and a high intelligence gave a great deal of benefits across the board. Skill wise, the tag system is an excellent example of encouraging the player to make obvious choices (in this case paving the way for distinct archetyping of characters) while not denying the freedom to choose other skills.

In a system like Morrowind's I never particularly felt like I was a swordsman, or a thief, or a mage, since most avenues were accessable, and I never seemed to be able to increase my base stats fast enough for my primary skills. Conversely, having a class system like D&D has a very positive archetyping method, but at the cost of freedom, although admittedly, feats were a big step toward allowing a bit more choice.

Third, what kind of system do you prefer for character creation?

I really like something that has a bit of RP and backstory to it, although most systems tend to be ultimately transparent, which I guess is due largely to the desire to stat crunch and powergame. Ultima's Savage Empire games did it exceedingly well, from memory, and KOTOR was terrible. ("As a jedi you come across a generic situation. Do you a) Fight - b) Talk - c) Use thief skills...Hmm, as I thought, you are best suited to being a) Jedi fighty guy - b) Jedi talking fella - c) Jedi thiefsy taffer") Morrowind I was more or less indifferent to the character survey, since I considered custom classes to be one of the system's main strengths, but I did like the way it incorporated character creation as a plot element.

I think that with these sort of survey systems, Jagged Alliance 2 explored some avenues worth devoting time to. Not so much the specialisations it doled out, but the under the hood personality traits that made your character behave in a friendly/psychotic/etc manner, and thus dictated who enjoyed or loathed their company. Much better than a bunch of completely inane voice themes, or voice sets tyed specifically to a certain type of character.

An idea that has been rattling around my head for the while is the idea of recovering memories as an amnesiac. A bit hackneyed as a plot element, sure, but in an open ended game it could have a lot of potential in the place of feat/perk development, especially if the choices made along the way lead to some kind of dramatic element. Here's an example.

A bunch of characters are banished to a kind of purgatory, where they have no memory of their past, and must comptete/work together toward a slightly hazy dynamic end point. The perk tree is firmly tied into a plotline of regaining memories, and as the player progresses it shed's light on their history, to the point of effecting gameplay as the player "falls back into their old ways". For example, a player who picks a lockpicking perk is rewarded moreso when they use it with criminal intent, or a player who picks a medical perk gains better rewards if they use it positively, such as healing, rather than negatively, say inflicting someone with a disease. Of course the whole thing would be completely dynamic and meticulously scripted.

Another aspect of this, somewhat inspired by Psi-Ops, which I would _not_ recommend the PC version of, is the idea of flashbacks. Every time the player earns a perk/feat, they flash back to their past life, and take part in a small scripted situation, where their approach to a certain situation dictates the focus of the feat/perk.

The system basically entails the following.

On reading your system, I think it's exactly the kind of idea I'd like to see and explore the possibilities of. It may frustrate some players, depending on how much freedom you provide and whether or not the choices made also affect the general outlook and personality of a character, ie if I was to let the lockpick "trainer" die, am I a callous shitbag?

I'd reluctantly suggest giving the player freedom to manually override, since you don't want to start the player off harbouring dislike of their own character, but I'd personally be more interested in playing out a character creation vignette and going with whatever happened. Take the good with the bad, like rolling up a character with standard P&P rules on rerolling.

Anyway, that's a response to your first post, onto the rest of the thread <grins>

* Yeah, and on the topic of fucking difficulty curves, I've been playing Bioware's Star Wars mod for NWN, and found a few irritating flaws. Like the fact that my Jedi Consular cannot possibly beat two Terentareks at once, nor has he the stealth skill to avoid them. I was somewhat put at ease by the fact that there was actually a reasonable plot justification for forcing a combat solution on a player! But it's a bit rough when I can wade through every other enemy in the game, light sabre in each hand (hah), and have no difficulty, and then suddenly "Hey! You're fucked and can't progress unless you cheat!"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom