Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex GOTY 2022: Results & Cool Graphs

Iskramor

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Rpg codex:Claims to be prestigious role playing forum with refined taste(s)

Declares elden ring as rpg goty.......

Pls jump of the cliff NOWWWWWWWWWWW

you first
Ladies and gentleman Average weaboo action game enjoyer

Big words for somebody who didn't even vote. How do they call people who complain about something with no skin in the game?
Yes yes i should hang 24/7 on codex and participate in everything.Imagine unironically installing asian action game on your ssd and pretending its rpg.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

you first

Big words for somebody who didn't even vote. How do they call people who complain about something with no skin in the game?
Yes yes i should hang 24/7 on codex and participate in everything.Imagine unironically installing asian action game on your ssd and pretending its rpg.

I see you got your dumbfuck tag for a reason

Iskramor

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

you first

1.Unironically playing asian action game and thinking its rpg
2.Calling other people stupid

Choose one and only one

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

you first

Choose one and only one

You are a moron and I wouldn't mind playing Elden Ring, looks like a great action RPG

Iskramor

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

you first

Choose one and only one

You are a moron and I wouldn't mind playing Elden Ring, looks like a great action RPG
You are a moron.Best argument ever

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Imagine unironically installing asian action game on your ssd and pretending its rpg.

"What's so wrong with that?"

maxresdefault.jpg

Harthwain

Magister
You fucking dirty Disco Disco apologist. How could you!?

I loved you like a brother!
I expected someone to mention Disco.

I am a strong believer in character being at the core of a true RPG. Disco achieves this by making your stats matter. Both in terms of what input their provide, as well as what kind of output is possible in-character. The input in particular is a breath of fresh air, because very few RPGs bother to model what kind of information you receive as a character and, as a result, what is available to the player. It helps to reduce the disconnect between the two, if only by little.

Kingdom Come: Deliverance is achieving something similar, but in the context of an action-oriented game. In a lot of action games rising skills/stats usually mean you hit "harder", but nothing else changes and you can often circumvent you low character skill with player skill. In Kingdom Come: Deliverance it is not that easy as being a novice actually feels like being a novice and you learn how to do things both as a character AND the player. And while the numbers will go up, which will help making things easier, it still ain't the same simple button mashing as it is in Skyrim, despite both games sharing similar learn-by-doing system backed up by stats.

Additionally, I weep that so few RPGs make use of perks and traits. To me it is a great way of fleshing out your character and making him unique on mechanical level, aside from having different stats. It is also more interesting to pick a perk that does something more than "you get +5% to damage".

So, yeah, I did mean it when I said that focusing on 3, 4 and 6 will likely result in having a strong RPG as it touches the core of the genre (in my opinion). One of the games that come to mind when I think about it is Arcanum. It is even more iconic RPG for me than Planescape: Torment, because it actually offers you the ability to create your own character. Another one is Fallout.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I am a strong believer in character being at the core of a true RPG. Disco achieves this by making your stats matter. Both in terms of what input their provide, as well as what kind of output is possible in-character. The input in particular is a breath of fresh air, because very few RPGs bother to model what kind of information you receive as a character and, as a result, what is available to the player. It helps to reduce the disconnect between the two, if only by little.

Kingdom Come: Deliverance is achieving something similar, but in the context of an action-oriented game. In a lot of action games rising skills/stats usually mean you hit "harder", but nothing else changes and you can often circumvent you low character skill with player skill. In Kingdom Come: Deliverance it is not that easy as being a novice actually feels like being a novice and you learn how to do things both as a character AND the player. And while the numbers will go up, which will help making things easier, it still ain't the same simple button mashing as it is in Skyrim, despite both games sharing similar learn-by-doing system backed up by stats.

Additionally, I weep that so few RPGs make use of perks and traits. To me it is a great way of fleshing out your character and making him unique on mechanical level, aside from having different stats. It is also more interesting to pick a perk that does something more than "you get +5% to damage".

So, yeah, I did mean it when I said that focusing on 3, 4 and 6 will likely result in having a strong RPG as it touches the core of the genre (in my opinion). One of the games that come to mind when I think about it is Arcanum. It is even more iconic RPG for me than Planescape: Torment, because it actually offers you the ability to create your own character. Another one is Fallout.
I acknowledge your (flawed and mostly incorrect) opinion and thank you for providing reasons for your preferences.

More seriously, I generally agree with most of what you wrote except for having a hate boner for Disco Elysium and to a lesser extent, PS:T. I think it's cool that some people love it/them though.

The more powerful computers we have at our disposal could've been used to make all sorts of really cool simulationist and crunchy RPG systems. Instead, we got "realistic" graphics, bloom, and particle effects, while making sure the RPG systems could be processed by a TI-85.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
The more powerful computers we have at our disposal could've been used to make all sorts of really cool simulationist and crunchy RPG systems. Instead, we got "realistic" graphics, bloom, and particle effects, while making sure the RPG systems could be processed by a TI-85.
:despair:

Harthwain

Magister
Indeed. This is true tragedy of the RPG genre.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
One makes grognards happy, the other one sells your product and lets you buy yachts.

We all knew how this was gonna shake out.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
One makes grognards happy, the other one sells your product and lets you buy yachts.

We all knew how this was gonna shake out.
Tyranicon paint me like one of your loligirls. I want to feel beautiful for one night.

Diggfinger

Arcane
Haven't played anything (new) in 2022, so not eligible to vote.

(Not) surprised to see a Japanese ARPG on the first spot.

Behold, the Codex!!!
Truely, keeper of what is most niche and exciting in gaming...

karnak

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
100% !!
My dream-RPG would be something like a single-player game in Ultima 6/7 graphics in which one started as a low peasant. And said peasant could spend the rest of his life planting cabbages and wheat or instead go on a life of adventure and rise to be a king or even rule an empire. Meanwhile the character would be able to start a family, have kids (his kids would inherit his genetic traits and some of his stats) and would continue the game after the original character died. Meanwhile the open game world would evolve and have its own dynamic (generate orc invasions, zombie plagues, conspiracies from other kingdoms, plagues, etc etc) and the game would give the option to raise armies and wage war or manage the kingdom like a city-builder.

Thus: imagine a mix between Ultima 7 + Crusader Kings + Total War.

This - of course - would only be possible in an alternate dimension where gamers choose world complexity instead of fancy graphics. Instead we have games where the main character explores a desolate landscape, interacting with freaks and degenerates and killing other freaks, degenerates and abominations by slashing/grinding/rolling around.
RPGs used to be some sort of escapism and are now turning into parodies of real life.

Shaki

Arbiter
RPG fans acting every year like their genre is dead, meanwhile RTS fans been in cryostasis for two decades waiting for their genre to get a proper revival.
RTS genre was a mistake tho, it will never be revived, because literally no one wants to play it - even the "fans". They just want to look at the games of their childhood and pretend they were good.

TBS games are strictly superior for strategyfags, and ADHD-high-APM-random-clicking-fags have thousands of MOBAs and other shit to scratch the same itch as starcraft did for them.

buffalo bill

Arcane
100% !!
My dream-RPG would be something like a single-player game in Ultima 6/7 graphics in which one started as a low peasant. And said peasant could spend the rest of his life planting cabbages and wheat or instead go on a life of adventure and rise to be a king or even rule an empire. Meanwhile the character would be able to start a family, have kids (his kids would inherit his genetic traits and some of his stats) and would continue the game after the original character died. Meanwhile the open game world would evolve and have its own dynamic (generate orc invasions, zombie plagues, conspiracies from other kingdoms, plagues, etc etc) and the game would give the option to raise armies and wage war or manage the kingdom like a city-builder.

This - of course - would only be possible in an alternate dimension where gamers choose world complexity instead of fancy graphics. Instead we have games where the main character explores a desolate landscape, interacting with freaks and degenerates and killing other freaks, degenerates and abominations by slashing/grinding/rolling around.
RPGs used to be some sort of escapism and are now turning into parodies of real life.
Kinda sounds like Cataclysm:DDA, except as far as I know C:DDA has no romances.

Harthwain

Magister
PG fans acting every year like their genre is dead, meanwhile RTS fans been in cryostasis for two decades waiting for their genre to get a proper revival.
Not sure what you mean by "proper revival", but there are some RTSes already worth waiting for in 2023:

From this year you may want to look up Line War:

RTS genre was a mistake tho, it will never be revived, because literally no one wants to play it - even the "fans". They just want to look at the games of their childhood and pretend they were good.
Some games are classics of their genres for a reason.

karnak

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
100% !!

Kinda sounds like Cataclysm:DDA, except as far as I know C:DDA has no romances.
Yes. That's the kind of stuff I mean. Unfortunately, stuff like Cataclysm (maybe also Caves of Qud a bit?) and others still remain mostly niche experiences. Maybe the new success of Dwarf Fortress on its steam release will encourage devs to try new paths.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
RPG fans acting every year like their genre is dead, meanwhile RTS fans been in cryostasis for two decades waiting for their genre to get a proper revival.
TBS games are strictly superior for strategyfags, and ADHD-high-APM-random-clicking-fags have thousands of MOBAs and other shit to scratch the same itch as starcraft did for them.

I think on an industry niche level, RTS games occupy a unique space like speed chess. At higher levels of multiplayer, there are few genres that drain your mental resources (and require on the fly thinking) as a good RTS. The amount of choices that are open to you is... impressive. And unlike Real Time Tactics like Total War, it also simulates the Strategic side, such as logistics.

I swear, if we ever have Ender's Game type of elite battle schools, they'll have some version of a RTS as a passtime.

But the same advantages that RTS games have over MOBAs and the like are also its main weakness. Most audiences cannot follow a high level play of Starcraft (me included). But MOBAs and their ilk are easier to understand and parse.

So the RTS remains a niche.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom