Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
yeah kotor 2 isn't really that hard. the hardest part of the game, outside of boss battles or getting stonewalled by nearly every alien npc, is running into squads of three or more hk droids - but even then you can just lob ion grenades at them a million miles away

it is refreshing to get stonewalled by nearly everyone you meet into tho, i've only seen that in games like gothic and it does make sense - you're a literal nobody to a bunch of hardened tradoshan career criminals or whatever, and they mostly view you as an interloper at best

Butter

Arcane
Patron
If you didn't train Atton or the Handmaiden as Jedi there's a good chance you're fucked.
No you're not. All companions share the XP pool, so if you've never trained them, you'll have plenty of stats for them to level up when the game has you play their section (Jedi or no Jedi). Also, it's an easy game, git gut scrub, lmao.
Yeah I'm well aware they share XP because I didn't use them and got the level-ups. If you don't exhaust their dialogue you don't get to turn them into Jedi. The Handmaiden fight against her sisters was obviously tuned with the expectation that she could use a lightsaber and the Force. If you don't have that option you're forced to cheese the AI.

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
Ultima 4. Game has absolutely no fat; it's all thriller, no filler. Crafts a striking and evocative adventure using dirt old technology and graphics straight out of the Atari 2600. Its only serious problem is the controls in combat when your party gets too big, but that's fixed by the xu4 sourceport. The soundtrack is incredible too. When Ultima 4 came out it was quite definitely the greatest game ever made. The next greatest game was maybe Ultima Underworld, and System Shock after that.

For a time I thought I only liked U4 so much because it was the first real retro CRPG I ever got into, with notetaking and manual reading and all that, but I replayed it a few months ago and it was still kino. The virtue stuff is overrated, though. People say that you have to let enemies run away lest you lose points in Compassion, but that's not true; if an enemy is classified as evil you can kill them no matter how much they run or beg for mercy, because that is Justice:whiteknight:

LudensCogitet

Learned
Ultima 4. Game has absolutely no fat; it's all thriller, no filler. Crafts a striking and evocative adventure using dirt old technology and graphics straight out of the Atari 2600. Its only serious problem is the controls in combat when your party gets too big, but that's fixed by the xu4 sourceport. The soundtrack is incredible too. When Ultima 4 came out it was quite definitely the greatest game ever made. The next greatest game was maybe Ultima Underworld, and System Shock after that.

For a time I thought I only liked U4 so much because it was the first real retro CRPG I ever got into, with notetaking and manual reading and all that, but I replayed it a few months ago and it was still kino. The virtue stuff is overrated, though. People say that you have to let enemies run away lest you lose points in Compassion, but that's not true; if an enemy is classified as evil you can kill them no matter how much they run or beg for mercy, because that is Justice:whiteknight:
Ultima 4 combat is deadly dull, and there is a bunch of it. It's just the same thing over and over and over again with tedious movement, barely any strategy, and ever increasing numbers of enemies.
I enjoyed the rest of the game so much I have actually searched multiple times for some kind of mod or hack to remove or tone down combat. The tedium of the battles is what stopped me from playing the game.

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
Ultima 4 combat is deadly dull, and there is a bunch of it. It's just the same thing over and over and over again with tedious movement, barely any strategy, and ever increasing numbers of enemies.
I enjoyed the rest of the game so much I have actually searched multiple times for some kind of mod or hack to remove or tone down combat. The tedium of the battles is what stopped me from playing the game.
There are ways to tone down the amount of combat in U4. On the DOS version, at least, you can press the "V" key to turn off in-game sound effects; this also skips combat animations. You can also avoid random encounters on the overworld with a horse; pressing "Y" on a horse will make your character yell "Giddyup!" making the horse move two spaces at once, allowing you to easily outmaneuver enemies. Go play U4 again and try these out, and you'll find that your problems with the combat fade away. It's also a good idea to stock up on reagents early to get spells that can wipe out large crowds of bothersome enemies like daemons and balrogs, and the Negate magic spell for reapers and balrogs. You can get the MP to fuel these spells earlier by going to dungeons with orbs of intelligence (Deceit, Shame, and Hythloth), as long as whatever character you're leveling up can survive the damage. The Change Wind spell can also help you avoid unwanted combat encounters at sea.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
There are ways to tone down the amount of combat in U4. On the DOS version, at least, you can press the "V" key to turn off in-game sound effects; this also skips combat animations. You can also avoid random encounters on the overworld with a horse; pressing "Y" on a horse will make your character yell "Giddyup!" making the horse move two spaces at once, allowing you to easily outmaneuver enemies. Go play U4 again and try these out, and you'll find that your problems with the combat fade away. It's also a good idea to stock up on reagents early to get spells that can wipe out large crowds of bothersome enemies like daemons and balrogs, and the Negate magic spell for reapers and balrogs. You can get the MP to fuel these spells earlier by going to dungeons with orbs of intelligence (Deceit, Shame, and Hythloth), as long as whatever character you're leveling up can survive the damage. The Change Wind spell can also help you avoid unwanted combat encounters at sea.
However there is one problem in your logic. You said it yourself, that U4 "has no filler". What you described here is a way to remove or mitigate filler. If you have to do that, it means that the filler exists. All you are doing is making it less annoying and time consuming.

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
However there is one problem in your logic. You said it yourself, that U4 "has no filler". What you described here ia way to remove or mitigate filler. If you have to do that, it means that the filler exists, you can only make it somewhat less annoying or time consuming as you described.
It's necessary filler, filler that gives the necessary weight to the exploration. Seeking to avoid combat, or to end combat faster with magic, requires you to be more thoughtful in how you explore and how you manage your resources of gold, food, and reagents. With that in mind I wouldn't call it filler at all. When this "filler" is taken away, you are left with a much less satisfying sense of exploration, which was the error of the Ultima games from U6 onwards, which became more like adventure games than RPGs.

Terenty

Liturgist
Might and Magic 6 should definitely be among them. The atmosphere in the game is out of this world

Serus

Arcane
Patron
I don't think there's been an RPG masterpiece. The best RPGs are great in spite of obvious problems.
I said the same thing in this thread earlier. CRPG don't (or can't?) have masterpieces.
CRPG that comes closest for me is Jagged Alliance 2 but even JA2 is not a masterpiece but "only" a 9/10 game. Granted there are subgenres of CRPG that i never liked (real time blobbers or action-CRPG...) maybe there are some masterpieces there - but not for me. In other computer games genres I can think of some true masterpieces. Great games that are at the same time almost perfect. Like the first "Secret of Monkey Island" in point and click adventure (sub)genre. But in CRPG? They all seem to fail at one point or another. They are "flawed masterpieces", at best but never truly 10/10 games. Is it because CRPG genre is actually one of the most complex? Maybe also because it often wants to become what it can't never truly be* to a satisfactory level - a computer single person version of p&p RPG.

*Unless the AI can help.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Atari Adventure
Pool of Radiance
Death Knights of Krynn
Wing Commander: Privateer
Civ Series
Ultima 4/5/6
Eye of The Beholder 1/2
Might and Magic 6/7
Ultima Underworld
Wizardry 7/8
Wizards and Warriors
Heroes of Might and Magic III/IV/V
Baldur's Gate 1/2
Icewind Dale 1/2
Diablo 1/2
Kotor
Exile games
Skyrim/Witcher3
Pathfinder 1/2
Knights of the Chalice 2

All games I still remember buying with a great sense of anticipation and playing the hell out of. Seems like a decent enough standard for a masterpiece.

A Golden Age in retrospect

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I said the same thing in this thread earlier. CRPG don't (or can't?) have masterpieces.
ZSwZSlo.jpg

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
I didn't know scavenger hunts could be so thrilling.
Lots of great literature features the heroes travelling the earth in search of artifacts and other treasure. It's a hallmark of the adventure genre. The "scavenger hunt" structure is what allows Ultima 4 to be one of the most non-linear games ever, while still having a real sense of progress and not devolving into a directionless sandbox. When I finally gathered the bell, book, and candle, and was sailing my way towards the Abyss to finally complete the quest I had been undergoing for months of gameplay, it was a sensation of excitement very few games have been able to recreate.

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
The virtue stuff is overrated, though. People say that you have to let enemies run away lest you lose points in Compassion, but that's not true; if an enemy is classified as evil you can kill them no matter how much they run or beg for mercy, because that is Justice:whiteknight:
You mean underrated. By obscuring how the karma system works, Ultima IV made players afraid of imaginary rules, thus encouraging them to actually role-play as heroes instead of merely min-maxing the virtue system. This technically unimpressive game actually suggested its players that it was tracking all their actions, and made them believe there was a virtual Game Master (or God) judging them at all times.

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
You mean underrated. By obscuring how the karma system works, Ultima IV made players afraid of imaginary rules, thus encouraging them to actually role-play as heroes instead of merely min-maxing the virtue system. This technically unimpressive game actually suggested its players that it was tracking all their actions, and made them believe there was a virtual Game Master (or God) judging them at all times.
That's a good point. U4 somehow made people believe it was somewhat more advanced than it actually was, just through some clever design choices.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I didn't know scavenger hunts could be so thrilling.
Lots of great literature features the heroes travelling the earth in search of artifacts and other treasure. It's a hallmark of the adventure genre. The "scavenger hunt" structure is what allows Ultima 4 to be one of the most non-linear games ever, while still having a real sense of progress and not devolving into a directionless sandbox. When I finally gathered the bell, book, and candle, and was sailing my way towards the Abyss to finally complete the quest I had been undergoing for months of gameplay, it was a sensation of excitement very few games have been able to recreate.

The heroes usually have to track down a few things like the parts of a broken sword or a ring while undergoing a hero's journey that makes them a better person before its over. Ultima IV wants you to find 34 different pieces of shit and the hero's journey is a seemingly arbitrary mathematician. Ultima V is the better game.

EDIT: If you love that kind of busywork you should play The Magic Candle if you haven't.

Sykar

Arcane
Atari Adventure
Pool of Radiance
Death Knights of Krynn
Civ Series
Ultima 4/5/6
Eye of The Beholder 1/2
Might and Magic 6/7
Ultima Underworld
Wizardry 7/8
Wizards and Warriors
Baldur's Gate 1/2
Icewind Dale 1/2
Diablo 1/2
Kotor
Exile games
Skyrim/Witcher3
Pathfinder 1/2
Knights of the Chalice 2

All games I still remember buying with a great sense of anticipation and playing the hell out of. Seems like a decent enough standard for a masterpiece.

:whatho:

Desiderius

Patron
Atari Adventure
Pool of Radiance
Death Knights of Krynn
Civ Series
Ultima 4/5/6
Eye of The Beholder 1/2
Might and Magic 6/7
Ultima Underworld
Wizardry 7/8
Wizards and Warriors
Baldur's Gate 1/2
Icewind Dale 1/2
Diablo 1/2
Kotor
Exile games
Skyrim/Witcher3
Pathfinder 1/2
Knights of the Chalice 2

:whatho:
This is what happens when autism superpowers are painstakingly employed over years of grueling effort to forge…. a normie.

My son will have a better sense of his opportunities and limitations.

Desiderius

Patron
This is what happens when autism superpowers are painstakingly employed over years of grueling effort to forge…. a normie.
Which reads more like a failure of those autism superpowers than anything else.
Dude, that gulf is *wide*. The powers didn’t fail. In some sense I did. We didn't appreciate what we were, but now I don't think there's enough appreciation of what normies are. Tortoise wins the race.

Balance needs to be brought back to the force.

And like that tortoise belatedly having and raising these sons feels like winning the race out of nowhere in any event.

Artyoan

Arbiter
Might and Magic 6 should definitely be among them. The atmosphere in the game is out of this world
I put it alongside Morrowind as masterpieces that nevertheless have incredibly broken systems. Both have very interesting worlds to explore, the best starting locations ever made in all of gaming, and not only does progression maximize player growth (from pathetic to godlike) but substantially changes the way the game is played. You go from trying to arrow down dispersed goblins/journeyman to flying through the air nuking things. Beacon warps, water walking, flight, etc. Things that provide utility to change what the player thought was going to be possible.

MM6 has a mystique about it that is timeless and I still don't think I quite capture why its world is so amazing. The imagination never stops toying with it even when I know the limits.

Terenty

Liturgist
MM6 has a mystique about it that is timeless and I still don't think I quite capture why its world is so amazing.
The art style, music(Paul Romero is a genius), sound design(everything from selling stuff to the enemies' grunts), writing that doesn't overwhelm, exploration with great itemisation, etc. make it a joy to experience

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom